Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Anyone who had to go on FMLA? What kind of experince did you have with it--

Was your work cooperative? When your alloted time ran out were you able to go back to work at your normal schedule or did your employer let you have an adjusted schedule?

Did your co=workers gossip about your so called "special" treatment?

If you didn't stay at that job and now have a different job, how did you handle the aspect of telling a prospective employer you have a disbablity?

I am currently on FMLA and my allotted time will soon be over and I'm waiting to get an answer from my employer whether they will let me stay on at PT hours.

Will appreciate your thoughts on this.
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I would have my DH bring in the paper work.And they would sign it.My employer would not go against the doctors orders.

I was on it for a full yr. Was bedridden and could not return.

My employer terminated me due to illness after the one yr..That was fine with me because that meant If I ever get well enough to return I would return at the same position .Assistant manager.

As far as the associates and gossip there was none.When I did go visit it was in a wheelchair and they were all very concerned about me.

Its been almost three yrs now.I'm on disability won my case.
    I have lost all contact with them now.I'm just don't feel well enough to take the trip to visit anymore.Plus I get very depressed when I go .I worked hard to get were I was.

I hope they make reasonable accommodations for you.They are supposed to.I forget were you can get that info.You might do a search on reasonable accommodations.

It might be under the American Disability Act.

Good Luck
    Sue.
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi Beadlady. I work for the federal government and I have applied for intermittent FMLA, meaning I can take it when needed, up to my 12 weeks.

Well the reviewers need to contact my doctor for some more information, but they have allowed me "permissive" leave until they get the final answer. Meaning, they aren't going to be hard on me if I need to take time off.

There shouldn't been anyone saying you get special treatment because if they were in the position to need it, FMLA is available to them also. Besides, unless you're using leave, you're not getting paid for the time off, so what business is it of theirs. Gossips are always going to find something to gossip about, no matter what.

I was having a hard time with my boss until the reviewers came back with the permissive leave information.
    He originally said it was disapproved, then when the answer came back that it wasn't, he had to rewrite my intial counseling statement for my evaluation.

I wish you well, and let us know what happens. How are you feeling now? Are you able to return to work?

Kendra

4. risinforce

risinforce New Member

My understand on this is as follows and I have been in the Human Resource field for the last 10 years.

Unless in California, which gives you 18 weeks, you get 3 months which don't have to be consecutive to take off if you, your spouse, child or children, parents, become ill and you have to take care of them. Of course you have to have a medical note. It also applies to Child Birth. (I used it for this reason)

By law (Federal) your employer cannot terminate you. They don't have to hold your position for you but when you come back they have to give you an equal paying or scale position. In other words they cannot lower your pay or demote you.

Anything longer than that has to be worked out between you and your employer.

During FMLA periods your health insurance must remain in effect as well and you don't have to go on COBRA coverage if not mistaken. If you become disabled and except COBRA from your old employer, remember you have an option to extend your health benefits an additonal 6 months or so.

Just FYI's.

Hope it helps,
    Shawn
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

Best wishes.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

kjfms
  6. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Hi Beadlady,

I love beads too, and love making jewelry.

I went out on FMLA at my previous job. The intital leave was fine, it was missing after that which caused a problem. Eventually even though I had plenty of time left on my FMLA leave, I was laid off. There is no doubt it was due to being sick.

It turned out that it was the greatest blessing ever! I got a new job, and the people here are so supportive. I waited until I was offered the job and filled out the paperwork. They are legally required to ask if you need any accomodations under ADA. I said that I have to go to the doctor approx. once a month. They are fine with that.

They ask how I am doing when I am sick, and are great all around. Not only that, but I make more money than I did at my last job, 20% more!

I would say to remember to put your health first. You can find another job but you can't get another body.

Tanya Sue

7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I work for a huge auto company, more than 200,000 employees and you would think they would be fair. Fair is the not even close to how they treated me.

They tried to FORCE me to sign a medical release to all of my personal medical records. I recieved quit notices and everything because I refused to sign that form.

I have reviewed every FMLA website on the internet and found that I did NOT have to release my records. The company was only allowed to review my form for proof it came from my doctor.

I hope your employer is decent enough to allow you to work part time. Do they know about Fibro? maybe that would help them to understand why you need part time.
    Good luck and I hope you'll able to work for as long as you want to.
    Angela

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2005]
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

9. msmac

msmac New Member

I am on approved intermittent FMLA, for 90 days, extended now for another 30 days. This is my worst flare ever, but i also have other spine problems from broken bones and arthritis. If/when doctor says I can return to work will be with "request for accommodations" such as if I can not work the full shift, etc., or whatever restrictions I might have. Hopefully this will break any day and I can go back to work. Had been trained by Vocational Rehab people to do medical transcription, but even that sitting and frequent rests has not stopped this flare. I have had to be on top of things, because, although my employer has 5,000 of us, they don't offer anything, only when forced to.
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I appreciate your time in answering my questions.

11. Musica

Musica New Member

Sorry, but that "everyone is different" rule applies. It depends on your employer and your co-workers how you are treated. Some employers can be so understanding, and others try to find ways of getting rid of you without it being that obvious. Some co-workers - and usually depending on the type of employer and office environment! - can be so supportive, and some gossipy and back-biting.

I hope you are one of the fortunate ones!