family members make me feel guilty for taking narcotics.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunshineno2, Feb 15, 2003.

1. sunshineno2

sunshineno2 New Member

HELP!!!
    I am so glad I found this sight. I have been thinking I
    am a bad person because of my meds.I have suffered from fybrmyalgia for 5yrs.I take methadone for pain. I don't tell anyone, because my family think it is a sin.I don't feel quite as guilty since I've found this sight.Thank-you everyone!!
    Sunshineno2
  2. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hi Sunshine,

I totally understand what you are saying. [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  3. mapessd

mapessd New Member

There are so many of us in the same boat and at times it semes to be sinking very fast .. My mom thought i was nuts and that there wasn't any thing wrong with me and just about flipped her lid when she heard i was on pain med And anti depressent .. She said that i don't need them that DR are just over medicading every one . I printed off a bunch of info about fibro and took it to her and she never mentioned it. Till my cousin said she knows someone with fibro. Then it was like well its ok now for me to have this DD . And a really good friend of mine (i met on here )told me if there is someone who doesn't want to believe you are sick and when they ask you how you are doing just smile and say "I'm fine" and walk away. and i don't know why it wouldnt work with if some one has a problem with what meds you take Don't even talk about it around them let them live in there own little worl of denial (sp) You know what you need to do just to be able to funtion in everyday life
    so take care of yourself You are # 1
    Hugs
    Sue
  4. JP

JP New Member

opinion. There are a lot of folks who have trouble with the thought of narcotic use. I was one of them! I don't share much because I don't need someone else’s opinion, I have ample opinions, and most of them get in my way.

I work toward improving the quality of my life and increased physical function...that’s my goal! I was able to take my dog in my Blazer this morning. We had a long walk around a lake, and then another walk downtown; not possible without pain medication. We both had a nice morning with exercise, fresh air and California sunshine.

Since your family does know, you might just be really candid with them. How could anyone think pain control was a sin??? Sorry, I can't be with all the sin stuff...there's my opinion...take care, Jan
  5. nje

nje New Member

I TAKE A LOT OF MEDS,3 FOR FIBRO,2 FOR DEPRESSION&ANXIETY,THEN, PRILOSEC FOR ACID REFLUX, PREMARIN FOR HORMONES,CELEBREX,FOR, I CAN`T EVEN REMEMBER WHY I STARTED TAKING THEM,LOL OH WELL IT`LL COME TO ME LATER.MY FAMILY HAS ALWAYS,I DO MEAN ALWAYS HAVE GIVEN ME A HARD TIME OVER MY MEDS,THEY USE TO SAY,IF I THREW AWAY ALL THAT MEDICINE I WOULD FEEL BETTER,I WANT TO SMACK THEM,WHEN THEY SAY THINGS LIKE THAT. I LOVE MY FAMILY,BUT I KNOW THEY`LL NEVER UNDERSTAND ME OR MY ILLNESS,SO I QUIT TRYING FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND. IF THEY EVEN START TO MENTION IT,I`LL CUT THEM OFF IN A FLAT SECOND,I MEAN,YOU ARE THE ONLY 1 WHO KNOWS HOW YOU FEEL,TAKE YOUR MEDS AND BUMP THE REST OF THEM,THATS MY OWN PERSONAL THEORY. MAY GOD BLESS YOU,AND YOU HANG IN THERE,OK? NJE----JEAN
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Don't feel guilty, but don't make it a topic for discussion. Even supportive family members, and some of us have them, don't really have a clue what it is like to walk hour by hour, day after day, in our shoes. They can't really know.

You need to take care of yourself in the way that's best for you.

Good luck,
    Pam

7. Annie06

Annie06 New Member

Love your opinion!!!!!!!!! Need more people like you to say it like it is!!! Which I'm starting to do! Thanks!!!

Annie06
  8. clueless

clueless New Member

No one knows what pain is involved with this disease until they have suffered with it. I have talked to two people recently who admitted they did`nt have patience or understanding of people in pain until they were put in that position themselves. We do what we have to in order to exist and we owe no-one an explanation. Hold your head high with the knowledge that you have a great deal more understanding with your friends here. I feel for you as do the rest here and I wish you more pain free days and I wish you joy!!!
  9. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Chronic, Untreated Pain.........debilitates a body even more. Take care of yourself and treat your pain adequately. 'Nuff said.
    Best wishes, LL

[ advertisement ]