Family practice or General Practice Dr

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ktpar, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. ktpar

    ktpar New Member

    I am thinking about changing Dr's and don't know which one would be best to change. From your experiences which Dr have been the best for treating FMS of CFS. Newly diagnosed.
  2. Beadlady

    Beadlady Member

    is an Advanced Nurse Practioner at a medical clinic with one MD. I see a lot of older patients at the clinic and sometimes children too.

    I did see a Rhuemy who I saw 2 times--what a waste of time--she said I had OA in my ankle, didn't have RA and since I just had Fibro she didn't want to see me anymore. The closest Rheumy is my area is a 2-3 hour drive one way.

    No thanks, I'll stick with my NP.
  3. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    I went to a neurologist, pain specialist, PT, psychiatrist, and family doctor. As of now I have the family doctor treating me for the FMS and a few other things that I have.

    Unfortunately we don't have good rheumy's on our insurance program, so that is just out.

    Take care,
  4. Suzan

    Suzan New Member

    The main thing is to find someone who believes that FMS is an illness..and will admit to not being able to "cure" you..but is willing to help you with your symptoms.
    I will only see a doctor who really listens to me...and who will work with me..and my feelings about what drugs I am willing to take..and what I am not willing to take.

    I saw a rheumy on the advice of my first GP..and his notes back to the GP recommended I seek psychiatric care! I ..and my GP..were both amazed by that comment! The rheumy in his office told me that he could not cure me..but he thought that the GP had me on the right path..and was doing a good job in helping me with my symptoms...NOt once did he say anything else!

    So..I dont' think that any of us can say THIS is the right doctor for you to see, unfortunately is can take several tries before you find someone that is willing to work with you and your symptoms.

  5. padre

    padre New Member

    Personally I do not care about the specialty I care about compassion and willingness to help. It seems like I have a doctor for each symptom. But the best has been a Rheumatologist who believes in fibro. and a Physician's Assistant who seems to do as much research as we do. No matter the speciality, I think you almost have to ask others with CFS who they recommend in your area.

[ advertisement ]