Family Support or not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmjt46, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jmjt46

jmjt46 New Member

How many of you with fibromyalgia,cfs and chronic pain when you try to talk to your family of your illness they say they understand. Then they turn around a say something that tells you they do not understand at all how do you deal with this.
    jmjt46
  2. shepsgirl

shepsgirl New Member

My family and friends do that all the time. My grandmother will try to sympathize when I need to vent and then she'll tell me that it's probably because I need to take vitamins. My mother recently has been diagnosed with FM and until then she had asked me to not talk to her about my FM problems because it made her feel helpless, now, she asks me about my symptoms and then says, well I don't think your as bad off as I am dear. It makes me feel like she's setting me up.

How do I deal? I ignore them and I don't talk to them about it, but I write my feelings down in a journal, that way atleast I am getting my frustrations out of head for the time being.

shepsgirl
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I am very, very lucky. I have a great support group within my family and my husband is a god-send.

I do count my blessing on this and my thoughts go out to those who aren't quite as fortunate.

E.