famous Kurt Vonnegut quote

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by artyreader, May 1, 2007.

1. artyreader

artyreader Member

The recently departed wonderful/sad/crazy/brilliant author, Kurt Vonnegut wrote (in his novel, "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater) the following--(his particular viewpoint on human existence):

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-- God damn it, you've got to be kind."

Here's to you Kurt. This 'round, wet, and crowded' little planet will sadly have to make do without you--Farewell. And so it goes. . .
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Billy Pilgrim had gone home.

Such sad news. Ah well, 80something years is not a bad run. But, who will warn us now of the dangers of ice9?

So it goes...

3. Callum

Callum New Member

The summer of 1984, I was nineteen, my best friend loaned me a copy of "Slaughterhouse Five." I then proceeded to read everything Mr. Vonnegut wrote up to that point in a matter of 10 days. "Player Piano", "The Sirens of Titan", "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater", "Cat's Cradle", "Breakfast of Champions", "Welcome to the Monkey House", "Dead-Eye Dick", "Slapstick", "Happy Birthday, Wanda June", "Between Time and Timbuktu" - even a litte-known book that he wrote as his alter-ego, Kilgore Trout, called "Venus on the Half-Shell".

I felt that here was a man who really "got" it.

And then I saw a picture of him. Like Lincoln, his face was noble, warm, and yet worn through seeing and understanding too much.

God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my husband and I were talking about Slaughterhouse Five the other night.

Wonderful book. Goodnight Mr. Vonnegut, you were a real talent, such insight and yes.....kindness, lacking these days.