Famous Movie Lines

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Mar 22, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

How about posting some famous (or not so famous) lines from movies. They don't have to be an exact quote, just whatever we can come up with!

We could also try to guess the actor/actress who said the line.

Here's one to start: "You played it for her Sam, now play it for me." Or ("Play it again Sam")
    rockgor likes this.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's from "Casablanca". Addressed to the piano player, Sam Dooley. By Rick (H. Bogart)?

I read fairly recently that the piano sold decades later for big bucks. And still later I read
    there were two pianos. I guess one was the stunt double. Dunno what happened to that one.

Rock
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Right, I didn't know Sam's name was Dooley. Never heard that before. Do you have a movie line to post? I've thought of a few more but will wait till later. Oh, but I've heard of Tom Dooley, didn't he hang his head down?
    :)
  4. rockgor

Good idea for a new game, GB.

Some other quotes:

"Aren't you rather short to be a storm trooper?"

"Wax on. Wax off."

"It's Alive!"

Rock

Oops! I guess I forgot to hit the Post Button.

GB, I read the piano player was named Tom or Sam Dooley. Was never to clear on which or
    whether it was the character in the movie or the actor. It's now too late for me to try and
    figure it out now.

Yes, I remember the mournful song about Tom Dooley. Poor guy was doomed to die.
    Well, who isn't? I think it was the Kingston Trio that immortalized Tom. Saw them in
    concert in the 60s. One of several folk groups I liked.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

It's dead Jim, it's dead :p

and another one in that category

Phone home...

Rock, is it's alive from the monster of Frankenstein?
  6. rockgor

Hi Soul

Yup, "It's Alive" is from Frankenstein. Gordon calls our chiropractor "Frankenstein"
    although there is no resemblance between their names.

"Phone Home" sounds like "ET". I note in the crosswords the answer for the clue "Aliens"
    is "ET".

Don't know what "It's Dead" is from. The anti-Frankenstein movie?

Here's one with historic connections: "Where's the Rest of Me?"

Rock
    Soul* likes this.
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock, yep, ET it is :D First movie I was supposed to see in a community center/theather as a kid. Except they didn't have permission to show it after all and showed James Bond Gold finger. I was soooo terribly bummed, my brothers liked it though :p I wasn't interested in 007 AT ALL...

And yes Diane I think it is from the Star Trek movie though I never saw the movie but heared the quote a LOT. I think there was a parody song that phrased it a lot in the charts back when.

So let's see what is still left to be guessed:

"Wax on. Wax off."

"Where's the Rest of Me?" Wild guess, the Adams Family?

1) "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

2) "I'll be back."

3) "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates."
  8. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"Box of chocolates" is from "Forrest Gump". "Tomorrow is another day" is "Gone With the Wind." As well as "Frankly Scarlett, etc., etc." and "I don't know nothin' bout birthin no babies" Butterfly McQueen said the last one, I believe.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Another one: "I could'a been a contender"

another: " Stella!"

another: "Elaine, Elaine!"
  11. rockgor

Hi Kids

Just woke up from a long nap. Let's see if I can keep track of what quotes are still pending.

The "Stella" cry is from "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams. Yelled by Marlon
    Brando as Stanley Kowalsky. There's another great line from this play/movie that is often
    quoted. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers" said by Vivien Leigh who
    was again playing a Southern belle. This time in New Orleans.

"Elaine, Elaine" is what Dustin Hoffman hollers at the end of "The Graduate", the movie
    that made him famous. I read someone's biography a few years back. Tab Hunter maybe.
    He said he knew Dustin in the days when they were both searching desperately for jobs.
    You know Dustin was a terrific actor when he managed to get work despite not having
    the looks of a leading man.

"I'll be back" is Arnold Schwarzenegger in "The Terminator". Took my son to see
    that one.

The "Contender" line is from "On the Waterfront". Marlon Brando again. This was
    the only movie score Leonard Bernstein ever wrote. He didn't like playing second
    fiddle to the dramatic demands of the movie business. I was a young teen when
    I saw this one. Too grim for me.

A few more from great films.

"I'm ready for my closeup, Mr DeMille."

"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

Happy viewing, folks.

Rock
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock rocks. Lots of good info. there. And correct answers.

"I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille" Is that Norma Desmond? Don't remember the name of the movie though. I remember Carol Burnette doing a skit about this scene. The aging actress coming down the stairs.

I didn't like that Waterfront movie either. I was also a teen.

I don't know the other one. But it's a good line. :)
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's one: "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."
  14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Oooh oooh oooh, I know the last one, the yellow brick road, wizard of Oz!

And here's Johnny I can hear it being said but have no clue from where or what... Not Grease is it?
  15. rockgor

Hi Kids

Yup, GB, the "ready"quote is by Norma Desmond who was played by the real silent
    film star Gloria Swanson. The movie was "Sunset Boulevard". I read a long time ago
    that the mansion where it was shot was actually on Wilshire Boulevard. Was eventually
    bought by the Getty Oil Company and torn down.

I think "failure to communicate" might be from "Cool Hand Luke", a film I never saw.

Diane, "Love means..." is from "Love Story. A book and movie very popular the year I moved
    to California. Ryan O'Neal was so appealing in that film. Shame the way he went off
    the tracks. His film with Barbra Streisand had the greatest comic car chase ever. Can't
    remember the name of the movie.

"Yo, Adrian"; Rocky

I"ll Get you, my pretty; Wizard of Oz.

Yes, "accessorize" is from "Steel Magnolias". I think it was the Olympia Dukakis character
    who said it. That complete film is on Youtube. I'm planning to watch it again.

Soul, a James Bond movie doesn't seem suitable for small kids. I remember when I was
    in grade school, we were always shown a movie at Christmas. One year it was "How Green
    was my Valley". A gloomy Black & White film totally inappropriate for kids. Amazing how
    grownups can be so clueless at times.

Here's a famous quote; somewhat misquoted and often parodied. "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

And "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." A line delivered by one of
    Hollywood's biggest stars from the Golden Age.

Rock
  16. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I agree Rock, it wasn't suitable for kids. It is probably the only alternative they had at hand last minute or something, ET was called of last minute. We didn't hear about the change untill we actually got there I think, else I definitely wouldn't have wanted to go.

Later on when we got English lessons in school (young teens age probably) we where forced to watch horror movies. Hated that. The teacher would leave the room and go do something else and we had to sit there watch movies I did not want to see :p

Oh well the good old days :confused:

I'm sure I heard that line you posted Rock but I don't remember how the woman or movie is called but it's a classic right?

Your we don't need no stinking badges reminded me of this and I just had to share it :p

It's a family and their friends who let the kids make up stories (boredshorts) and then the grown ups play it out with the kids voices. This one is about not needing a stinking pass :D
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"Here's Johnny" is from "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"
    And Rock, yes, that's from "Cool Hand Luke", Paul Newman. I watched it on tv this week.

Got to stop now cause I'm having pain in my arms and hands tonight. (That's not from a movie, it's from me.) :) GB66
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  18. windblade

windblade Active Member

I think "Here's Johnny" might be from The Shining. I was always too scared to watch it, but things filter through.

Great idea for a thread, GB!
    gb66 likes this.
  19. windblade

windblade Active Member

Could "Wax on, Wax Off' be from Tootsie? Dustin Hoffman.

Boy, you people are GOOD at this, and fast. (not a quote lol)
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

You're right Windblade. "Here's Johnny" is from "The Shining".
    I had the wrong Jack Nicholson movie. :)

Here's a couple more:

"You had me at hello"

"Show me the money"