Famous Names - An Alphabet Game Vol. 4

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Sep 13, 2015.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Are we ready for the N's? Probably not as many of these, but we'll see!

Natalie Wood Actress

Norman Rockwell American Painter and Illustrator

Noel Coward English Playwright, Composer

Naomi Campbell Model/Actress
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Nathan Hale - Continental soldier in Revolutionary War caught by British and executed; famous last words "My only regret is that I have but one life to give to my country."

Nancy Reagan - First Lady of 40th U.S. President

Nellie Bly - Pen name of American journalist Elizabeth Cochrane Seaman (she did an expose where she faked insanity to study a mental institution from within; she was a pioneer in her field and launched a new kind of investigative journalism), writer, industrialist, charity worker; also famous for her record-breaking 72 day trip around the world

Nicole Kidman - Actress
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, Those are really good choices. Glad to see you! Did you post any on the Vol. 3? GB
  4. hangininthere

Hi GB. No, I didn't post on Vol. 3 because I couldn't think of anything. I must have been in the mood tonight - love when that happens.

Patti
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Well it's good to see you back here again not matter where you post! :) How are you doing these days? GB
  6. hangininthere

I've got frozen shoulder I suspect. What a hassle, especially when trying to sleep, like you said.

My Dad died a few months ago, then my hubby's Mom this month. We're doing better than I ever expected we would over it. I always thought I would die of heartbreak or heart attack when the time came. I was a daddy's girl. Well, a week after my Dad died, my untreated high blood pressure I've had for 22 years shot up to 247/128 because I was so upset. Went to ER. Now on blood pressure medicine for good.

The blood pressure medicine somehow made an improvement in my orthostatic intolerance I've had for 17 years, where I couldn't walk in stores or anywhere but to the bathroom and back layed out flat in my bed in living room.

I can now stand long enough to take a shower instead of bath, and walk in small stores. Feels so good to be upright among the walking again. But I still need a wheelchair in big stores. And the showering and walking takes everything out of me. Like climbing Mt. Everest - extremely hard yet victorious. I still am layed out flat in exhaustion all week from my weekly grocery shopping excursions.

I had whole house air-conditioning this summer, where temps went up to 93 and mostly high 80's all summer. It was the first time in my life I've ever had any air conditioning at all. It was heavenly.

My hubby's got bad sciata pain from his hip to foot. We're a pair now - me exclaiming "ouch" every time my shoulder hurts, and him moaning and groaning and limping when he walks. Ain't we got fun? Could be worse though, so I remember to maintain an "attitude of gratitude" as they say in AA, which sentiment is stressed in the Bible, too.

Patti
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Patti, Good to see you.

Oh, yes. The "N's". I made a list a few days ago. Wonder what happened to it. I
    remember Nancy Reagan nee Davis was on it. And Nelly Bly the investigative
    reporter from the 19th century. You guys know the Stephen Foster song Nelly
    Bly? A cheerful little ditty. The only other one I can remember is Napoleon.

Well, shoot! I can't find it. Stuff just disappears around this ranch.

OK. There's Nanook of the North. Nanook is the head of an Eskimo (Inuit)
    family. A silent documentary was made in the 1920s about their life
    in the arctic. Narration was added a couple decades later. You can see it
    on Youtube. It runs almost as long as a modern film.

Nancy Kwan, star of the movie Flower Drum Song which followed the Rodgers
    and Hammerstein Broadway show of the same name.

Norm Crosby, comedian.

Norma Shearer, once the Queen of MGM. Not only was she a star; her husband was
    Irving Thalberg, the number two executive. Her best film "The Women" was on the
    TCM channel only a week or two ago.

Nick Nolte, actor.

Nora Bayes, vaudeville performer. Star of the Ziegfeld Follies. With one of her
    several husbands she wrote Shine On Harvest Moon. He wrote Take Me Out to
    the Ballgame.

Rock
  8. rockgor

Patti, I'm sorry to hear about your ailments. I had to look up orthostatic
    intolerance. Glad to hear there's been some improvement. Here's a
    joke I came across a couple days ago. May be apropos. I don't do drugs
    anymore 'cause I find I get the same effect just standing up really fast.

Yes, I remember "attitude of gratitude" from my 12 step program. My home
    program was Emotions Anonymous which I went to for about 25 years
    until I couldn't do it anymore. Miss the program and my friends there.

That's great that you have A/C. Been too hot here in LA the last few
    weeks. We are supposed to get down to the 70s tomorrow for at
    least a few days.

Hope you and hubby feel better soon.
    Rock
  9. hangininthere

Hi Rock. I've heard of Emotions Anonymous. I keep meaning to look it up online to see some details about it. Yep, I know you enjoyed it til you couldn't go anymore. I remember when you first started having trouble going to meetings.

Nellie Bly got her penname from that Nelly Bly song. Her editor misspelled it Nellie, and it stuck.

I'm going to watch Nanook of the North on YouTube, glad you mentioned it. I had gotten it from library last year, then was too tired to watch it and had to send it back. Our library sends everything in the mail to shut ins, great library system here. They let you keep DVDs about three weeks, nice.

Right now I'm watching the movie 'AI: Artificial Intelligence' free online. Love that movie. Getting sleepy though, might not be able to finish it. Paused it while I take a little break. It's a Stephen Spielberg movie and stars Jude Law.

Has your cough gone away from getting off the Lisinopril?

Patti
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. rockgor

Hi Kids

Patti, you have a good memory if you can remember I had a cough. Nowadays I'm
    constantly going, Didn't somebody say something about something or other? Anyhoo,
    I'm happy to report the cough is all gone. The doctor said it might take several weeks
    for the Lisinopril to clear my system, and that's what happened.

EA (Emotions Anonymous) is pretty much like all the 12 step programs. Most of the
    folks there struggle with depression, but some have other problems like bi-polar.
    Last time I looked there was a message board and some sort of telephone hook up.
    There's a lot of info on the net if you want to investigate. I found the meetings
    therapeutic. Also provided some social life. We often went for lunch or coffee after
    the meeting.

Judd Law made me think of Naomi Judd, country western singer.

And Naomi Judd made me think of Naomi Campbell, supermodel. You can
    watch her fall down on Youtube.

Nolan Ryan, MLB pitcher. Shows up in the crosswords.

Nicholas II, Last Czar of Russia.

Nelson Eddy, baritone. Jeanette's partner. Saw him in concert about 6 decades ago.

Nell Rankin, mezzo-soprano from Alabama. Sang at the Met for decades. I have
    some of her recordings.

Nat King Cole, crooner. My mother liked him.

Nathan Lane, actor. The Lion King, The Bird Cage, The Producers. He took "Nathan"
    from Nathan Detroit in the musical Guys and Dolls. Later played the same role
    on Broadway.

Nicolas Cage, nephew of Francis Ford Coppola. Earned lottsa money and
    apparently spent even more. Tax troubles reported a few months ago.
    He is apparently now living in a condo despite having bought 4 yachts and
    several castles in Europe.

Ooops! GB, didn't notice you had already posted about Naomi Campbell. I
    wonder why so many of those gals fall down. Are the runways slippery? There's
    no reason why they should be. I think maybe I'll lie down and read for a bit.
    I'm reading a book about Louis B. Meyer, the real lion at MGM.

Rock

11. hangininthere

Haha, Rock. I know you've seen those ridiculously high platform shoes the supermodels have to wear.

GB said a while back that she goes back and edits more names into a post as she thinks of them. I did that at first, too. Don't know if she still does it or not.

I always edit every one of my posts about ten times or more, adding thoughts or trying to make my sentences make sense. Being bi-polar and attention deficit disorder, I ramble on and on. So the notification you read in your email will look different than the post on PH when I get done.

One time someone saw words change right before her eyes as she was reading my post, hahaha. I was editing at the same time.

I LOVE the movie 'The Birdcage', the remake with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. One of my top fave movies. A beautiful, precious, and hilarious love story.

Patti
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, So sorry about your dad and your mother in law passing. I know it was really hard for you and your hubby.

I don't have the ortho. intolerance problem but I've been on bp med since 1989. Mine has never been that high though. That's really up there. When I was in the ER a few years ago it was over 200 but then it went back down. I take Tenormin. No side effects

I'm glad you're feeling better on the bp med. It's made a big difference for me too. My heart used to beat so fast it was visable under my clothes.

I have a wheelchair but only use it when I go to med. appointments. Don't have to use it around the house. I don't really go out anywhere else these days.

My shoulder is still sore but not anywhere near as much as it was. I can lift my arm up higher too. It's gradually improving. I'm a bit of a slow healer. I haven't been back to the doc's yet and I'm hoping she won't do the MRI's. I take an anti-inflammatory and do a little arm exercise every day under the hot shower.

I think I have a combination of frozen shoulder and impinged shoulder. I hope yours is feeling better too. It is hard to sleep cause it hurts more lying down, right? I prop mine up on a pillow to sleep now.

My family used to atten AA related meetings. I still use a lot of the things I learned in the program. I went to meetings for about 7 years back in the '80's.

One day at a time, keep it simple, attitude of gratitude, and one that was really important, not to let other people cause you to be so down on yourself that you cause yourself to hurt. I think they called it the "I'll show you, I'll hurt me!" attitude. Meaning, don't hurt yourself by trying to make others feel sorry that they hurt you, it always backfires. :)

I think we've all been through quite a bit and are fortunate to be doing as well as we are. Yay us. GB
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I think you're right about posting some N's on another thread. I seem to remember that but don't know where I saw it. Oh well, we can do them over. :)

Norman Mailer Writer/Journalist

Nicolas Coster Actor

Nick Clooney Host/George's dad

Norma Desmond A character in Sunset Boulevard

Natalie Portman Actress

Natassja Kinski Actress/Model

Natasha Richardson Actress
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  14. rockgor

Well, Old Pals, Are we ready to move on to the "O's"? I'll start. Of course, if
    you have some nifty "N's" you want to post, you can always do a twofer.

Oliver Hardy, one half of what many consider our funniest comedy team.

Ozzie Nelson, we already had his spouse Harriet above.

Ozzie Osborn, English heavy metal rocker. For some of us the band's
    output was too much to be borne.

Oliva de Havilland, Forever Melanie. Has lived in France longer than in
    the United States. Born the same year as my mother, Olivia is now 99.

Orenthal James Simpson, football player, actor, now residing near the town
    of Lovelock, Nevada.

Orville Redenbacher, farm boy from Indiana who went to Purdue U and
    cultivated popcorn. His first appearance on national TV was on To Tell the
    Truth, kawinkydentally mentioned above.

Rock
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Oleg Cassini Fashion Designer

Oscar Hammerstein Composer

Oscar Wilde Author/Poet

Oprah Winfrey TV host/Author/and lots of other things

Oscar Levant Pianist/Actor

Oliver Stone Film Director/Producer

Oliver North Military Historian/Lt. Colonel

Oscar de la Renta Clothing Designer

(Olive) Marie Osmond Singer (Her mother was Olive May)

Orel Hershiser Major League Baseball Pitcher
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

I've been reading this volume -- I didn't chime in with the N's though.

Patti, and DH, condolences on your losses.

And best wishes with your BP med, and much improvements on it.

I've been reading here, and yes ------ yeah for us!!!!!!!

O's ... may be difficult!

Omar Sharif, actor

Olivia Wilde, actress

Olivia Newton John, singer

Owen Wilson, actor

Olympia Dukakis, actress

Oscar the Grouch, a famous muppet

Otis Redding, singer

My contributions...... Diane :D
    rockgor likes this.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, I wrote to you but it disappeared! Glad to see you again. Hope all is well with your family. There really aren't many O's are there. I have only known two people whose first names started with O. A friend's mom, named Opal and a family member named Oscar. Can't wait till we get to the Y's and Z's! :) GB
  18. hangininthere

Hi All. Thanks for the condolences.

I couldn't think of any O's except Oprah. Didn't realize there were so many, wow.

I love the saying "I'll show you, I'll hurt me!" Never heard that one before.

When me and hub were dating and first married, we went to his AA meetings every evening and had a blast. So fun.

My shoulder is 'stuck'. Can't even reach over to scratch my other shoulder, plus it hurts to try. My friend had it last year. I googled it then and it said it usually goes away in 1 to 3 years. Hers disappeared in a year. So I'm waiting and hoping.

Patti
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, I read that too about the shoulder. I hope it doesn't last a year! Ouch. Try shaving underarms yet? :)

That expression from AA really covers a lot of feelings and situations. I guess it's human nature to react that way when someone hurts us. It's like I've heard others say, when you hold a grudge against another person you only make yourself suffer. They're out living their life and you're sitting there miserable. We do some silly stuff to ourselves. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  20. hangininthere

I haven't had the strength to shave in years. Every spring I do, then can't keep up. Talk about ye old 'Saturday night bath'. I have my 'springtime shave' which does no good. Can barely wash other underarm in shower now, have to reach and do it real fast, saying ouch. I'd ask you what shower exercises you do for it, but I know I won't have the patience to do them since I have to get in and out real fast.

Yes, I always say that exact same thing. People that hurt you don't give you a second thought - they go on their merry way. I've said that to someone who's humiliated and feels like a fool when someone broke up with them. You don't have to feel like a fool and humiliated over what they think of you, because they aren't even thinking of you. Of course it's easier said than done.

Patti
    rockgor likes this.