Famous people with CFand FM.Why don't they speak up to help us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Sep 1, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I read post about article on CF in Oprah mag. Does anyone know if there's anyone famous that has FM. It's too bad they won't come forward so they could speak nationally about it and get the CDC,SSA and others to recognize it. It would help so many people,they have no idea. What makes this so different,they talk so much about cancer and other things and get support for that. Those that have spoken up and dealt with cancer didn't lose their jobs or support.

What do you think about this? What more can we do?

Keke
  2. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

SOMETIMES I FEEL SO STUPID TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. I STILL LOOK THE SAME...SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL TO THEM. AS A LITTLE GIRL MY MOTHER HAD SEVERE ASTHMA. THEY TRIED EVERYTHING TO HELP HER. FRIENDS AND FAMILY USED TO SAY "I HEARD ASTHMA IS ALL IS YOUR HEAD" WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN. WE ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE APPOLOGIES FOR OURSELVES. WE DEFINATELY NEED SOME GOOD REPRESENTATION.
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Keke, have you read the article in "O" magazine? Two famous people were interviewed for this article, Laura Hillebrand, author of Seabiscuit and Michele Akers, soccer champion. Also, Blake Edwards, husband of Julie Andrews, has CFIDS and appeared in the film "I Remember Me" a documentary about CFIDS.

I think the word is finally getting out there, but change doesn't happen overnight. So, we must be patient and those of us who are well enough should write letters to the media, to Oprah, politicians, whoever we think will and can help.

Lolalee
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...that these folks who make films, TV shows, etc. sometimes won't be hired (and the production won't be able to insure them) if they have either a reliability problem (like they are raging alcoholics, or mentally unstable) or if they have a chronic illness. I'm not sure I would disclose it, either, if it might cost me my job.

It is nice, though, when someone comes forward despite the grief they might receive...

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I think Cher has CFIDS. It seems to me that more admit to having CFIDS than FMS. Why, I don't know.

Kellie Martin, the actress, has a sister who has FMS, I think. She was going to take time off of her acting career to help her sister.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Erin from the Waltons has it .She did a mag. artical a few years ago I dont remember which one.
    Also Captain on the West Wing Part time actor has it I write him sometimes.He has a web page captainhastings.com
    Tells about his life and things that have help him.
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

A.J. Langer has FM. She played Rayanne in My So Called Life and she was in the people under the stairs. In fact the first time I ever heard of FM, before I ever had a clue I had it, was from reading an interview with her.

9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

a documentary last week on Rod Stewart. There was a long interview with his first (?) wife and the mother of his children. She spoke of getting the Epstein Barr virus and that was what destroyed her marriage. She had no energy after that. It sounded to me like CFS..but that was never mentioned.
  10. ABCDfamily

ABCDfamily New Member

What if everyone here on this board coordinated an event that would raise the awareness about CFS? It would be a lot of work but we are all over from different parts of the world in here and what a beter way to spread the word. You would need a venue, press release, local celebrities in the area....one or two, media...media....media and several other things however, it could be done.

What do you think? It would not cost money but it would take time.
  11. ABCDfamily

ABCDfamily New Member

bump.........any thoughts?
  12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Famous people with CFand FM.Why don't they speak up to help us?

Well, we have "Cher," who says "Oh, I had Chronic Fatigue but I got over it."

Gee, isn't that nice? I'd surely like to know HOW she "got over it."

Last time I checked there was no cure. I still don't believe she had CFS, maybe she had Mono or something, but NOT CFS.

Lea.
  13. Callum

Callum New Member

The type like Cher, where they were incapacitated for months, and then got over it (or, they at least recovered enough to not suffer from it daily), and those of us who have it for years and years. Of course, people don't always respond the same way to every stimulus. My partner has R.A., and hasn't had a flare in six years. Why do some people live 20 years with HIV and never come down with AIDS, while others die within months of coming in contact with the virus?

Justine Henin-Hardinne, the tennis player, also was sidelined for six months with what she refers to has chronic Epstein Barr.