Famvir Equivalents?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

i was prescribed famvir per the fcc to go after an ebv infection, but i'm private pay and famvir is over a thousand bucks for 120 tabs! yikes. i'm going to speak to the doc about this, but wondered what the board's opinion is on the matter. i'm very tempted to just use the transfer factor and the artemisin (all naturals) and leave a prescription anti-viral out of the equation. i was also prescribed amantadine, but the way i understand it, the amantadine is mostly used in support role to the famvir?

started on testosterone and cortisol supps the other day. took a day off from the nystatin routine. week 4 on that stuff and still having a difficult time with it.

eddie
  2. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

What? Famvir costing over a $1,000 a month? Who are you buying this from? Even online (which I wouldn't recommend) has it much cheaper.

Since I have health insurance, I've skipped over many posts here on how to get meds cheap and others that have pointed to agencies that can help you with the cost of meds. I'm hoping someone can come along and give you better advise. You may want to change the title on your post to something like "No insurance, anyone please help with ideas on how to get my meds".....just a thought.

I know Famvir is expensive,,,,even my co-pay was high. Valtrex is cheaper and works along the same lines.

best wishes..........foxglove

afterword, I just saw a post on page 2 here that I'm bumping called prescription assistance. Sounds promising.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2005]
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

the big problem for me with the drug assistance programs is that i made a lot of money last year. i've since become unemployed due to the illness but most of the programs require last year's federal return. now next year, i will definitely qualify!

eddie
  4. pastel

pastel New Member

Valtrex worked well for me; I've tried them both and found
    help from both. Can't compare directly as this condition is
    so confusing on it's own, but I can say that I herxed less
    with Valtrex and found it a little gentler somehow. Took
    2 x 500mg daily for a time, then down to one.

Hope this helps. BTW nothing worked as well as the prescription antivirals to beat the load down. Now after
    several months I'm able to be without them and assessing how
    I'm going.

Catherine
  5. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

So sorry to hear of your losses with the dang illness eddie. I too lost my job, home, and marrige to CFS.

It sounds like you're in between a rock and hard place and I am sincerely sorry to hear of your situation.

I am quite sure Valtrex is cheaper and works very similarily as Famvir. By the way, why are you taking Famvir if you don't mind me asking? Do you have shingles, HSV1 or 2? CFS or FM? or just trying to bring down a viral load?

best wishes..........foxglove
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

the famvir was prescribed by the ffc in atlanta to bring down my viral load. test results show an ebv infection. i'm guessing that any of the herpes family anti-virals is as good as the other when it comes to ebv. i'm calling the clinic tomorrow to see about the valtrex instead of famvir.

eddie
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member