Famvir -- Herx possible?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was on Valtrex for an entire year. It cut out the mild FM pain entirely in the first couple of months, but it didn't bring down my EBV blood counts.

The FFC doc has taken me off Valtrex, and I started Famvir about two weeks ago. Starting this past Saturday afternoon, I have gotten more and more tired. I can barely keep my head up and eyes open now.

My father-in-law died Sunday, and we are going out of town later today for tomorrow wake, Friday's funeral, and other family activies for the weekend. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to keep up -- I just wish I could get back in bed and sleep 'til Monday. Unfortunately, not possible! There will be a lot of obligations.

Thought I'd dash this off quickly to get a couple of hours of board time before we leave. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
  2. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Bumping so you can an answer before you have to leave town.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very sorry about your FIL. My prayers are with you and your family.

I have switched AV's and had similar reactions. Sometimes, AV's or ABX can kill off pathogens at a level which doesn't cause our bodies to purge them but at a level which keeps us exhausted. AV's can give our immune systems a rest, but it's hard work for our bodies to deal with the excretion of dead pathogens.

Also, when you switch meds, the virus go into panic mode trying to figure out what is happening and how to try to survive. They can become more active until the AV's can kill them.

I always recommend people call their docs and discuss any reactions. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

...one for the bump, the other for the reply...

I haven't been this exhausted in a very long time! I will have a few hours in the car before we reach our destination. If I can pull myself together, I will follow your advice, Mikie, and give the FFC a call -- I just realized that they are closed on Friday, so I'd better do it today!
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member