Famvir Status Report Week Eight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Saturday, January 6
    Famvir--Day 61

Days 1-6: 250 mg
    Days 7-13: 500 mg
    Day 14: No Drug
    Day 15-20: 500 mg
    Day 21-22: No Drug
    Day 23-27: 500 mg
    Day 28-29: 250 mg
    Day 30-36: No drug
    Day 37-50: 250 mg
    Day 51-57: 500 mg
    Day 58-61: 250 mg

Today was good. I went to my friend's wedding, had dinner with my mom, spent some time talking on the phone.

I'm a tiny bit manic and not sure why. I slept only five hours last night and six the night before. I certainly have energy at the moment, but it's not energy of the exact sort that I want. It's not way off, just a touch.

My head feels like it's trying really hard to spin out of control and is being held together tightly with the rubber band of my anticonvulsant mood stabilizer (Lamictal). I took a bit extra of the drug today to see if it would help tighten things up.

I am planning to see my doctor on Monday, when he will attempt to help fix this problem with one of his magic tricks (neural therapy, which I will attempt to explain at some point soon). This particular magic trick has helped to heal my head injury considerably (as evidenced by the elimination of anxiety and reduction of mood swings that it caused me).

Decreasing the mood swings further would be helpful with regard to my long-term goal of increasing my immune system, since even a little bit of it is stressful. Plus manic energy feels not quite right, and I would like everything to be as right as it possibly can.

The process of neural therapy is stressful too, but my doctor both think that since I seem okay on my current dose of the Famvir, the long-term benefit will make it worthwhile.

I'm not exactly sure why my moods are swinging more than usual at this moment. Immunology is _so_ much easier to understand than neuroscience (a field with almost no solid theories at all). It's a little perplexing to me that people with all sorts of serious mental disorders are now functioning perfectly normally while immune-challenged people with CFS are still lying in bed so much of the time. However, another 10 years and this will change, I think.

Anyway......even if I exclude the small amount of fake hypomanic energy (which I can do by now), I am feeling quite a bit better now than I did before I started the Famvir. I feel reasonably certain that further gains will come, therefore.

[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2007]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Upon reflection, I think that the hypomania is being triggered by my system's belief that I am going to get well. This happened almost 24 hours after I missed my first dose two days ago (moving to 250 mg to prepare for my trip).

I slept just fine last night until I started dreaming about this topic. Then I woke right up again.

It's sort of childish to become that overstimulated about this, but it's not like I'm doing it on purpose. My unconscious seems to be much more excited than my conscioius (which has this rational overlay of "don't be too hohpeful"), I think.

Nonetheless, my mind is still behaving badly in responding to the overexcitement by attempting to move toward hypomania. I have had way too many m-d mood swings in my life, and would like to avoid them to any extet possible. Definitely those neural therapy shots (and in the short-term a bit more anticonvulsants) are needed.

Having a reason for why I suddenly am feeling so overstimulated is a reassuring thing, though. Having an understanding of what's going on makes me feel much better in general.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Sunday/Monday, January 7/8
    Famvir--Day 62/63

Day 58-63: 250 mg

I'm still in Indianapolis and doing well. Tomorrow I am going back to Chicago, and then will increase my dose of Famvir back to 500 mg. I am scheduled to take it for two more months and then check back in with the doctor. (I think at that point we will see if I should switch to Valcyte.)

Since going down to 250 mg a day, I have been feeling better than I did before starting on the Famvir experiment. Or, at least, I am feeling at least as good as I did on my best days before the Famvir. I am taking this as a good sign.

Some developments:

* I upped my Lamictal from 325 to 350 mg per day. My hyper feeling dissipated, but my energy and mood remained good.

* I noted that I was getting a slight rash on my chest and arms on Thursday-Saturday. I decided to stop my two most recently added supplements, dandelion root and milk thistle. The rash disappeared within a day. I'm not sure that this is an allergy to one of those substances, but it seems a good possibility. No big deal if so, but it is kind of amusing.

* Following Dr. Guyer's advice about taking as much vitamin C as I could without getting diarrhea, I took 23,000 mg of vitamin C (23 packets of EmergenC) on Saturday.

On Sunday I had a reaction where I got extremely sleepy, took a nap, woke up, and within a 10-minute period drank five large glasses of water. Apparently I got rid of some toxins. (Whether they were dead viruses or chemicals, I am not sure.) I got no diarrhea whatsoever.

I told Dr. Guyer about this. He seemed kind of amused (but not displeased) at how much Vitamin C I was able to tolerate and advised taking a bit of sea salt with it to help balance it.

EmergenC is $8 for 36 packets at Wal-Mart. Maybe if I use half a box a day for a while, I'll make some progress. It didn't give me any negative effects except for the sleepiness and thirst. Linus Pauling took 10,000 mg per day and lived healthfully into his late 90's. I can't believe he was entirely wrong about the stuff.

* I saw Dr. Guyer again today for neural therapy (designed to repair my head injury.....I will try to explain at some point). It's an intense therapy, but I felt okay afterwards. However, since I'm very sensitive to getting blood drawn, I didn't want to push my luck and so am going to get that part done on my way back to Chicago tomorrow.

* I had coffee with the woman who originally referred me to Dr. Guyer nine years ago. (She is the mother of a good friend who got married this weekend.) We talked about her experience with him. After a car accident, she got very sick and said she could barely stand or walk without fainting.

She said she believed she had CFS even though it wasn't diagnosed as such at the time. (Dr. Guyer wasn't using that term then since he didn't find it helpful in treating people. Friday was the first time I had ever heard him sponaneously utter the word. Apparently he relented on it after the CDC made their recent announcements.) Her symptoms seem to match.

She has seen Dr. Guyer regularly ever since and tried a great variety of treatments. Now she seems totally well.....in far better shape than most 67-year-olds. Her only concerns at this point are a) she doesn't like being on adrenal and thyroid support because it means she's not "totally well", b) she is not happy with the way his office is run from an administrative perspective, and c) she feels like she needs to find a backup doctor who can give her hormones in case something happens to Dr. Guyer. (He's only 47 or so and does not seem likely to retire any time soon with all those kids to put through college, but she thinks better safe than sorry.)

She tells me she was working on my friend's wedding dress and wedding for 12 hours a day over the last week, and is now very active on a regular basis. I remember her as being quite ill for a long time, and am amazed at how vibrant she is now. (She says that both her mother and her grandmother seem to have had CFS, and that she is glad that she figured out a way to get past it.)

She said that people in Indianapolis think that he is brilliant, but that his high fees ($1000 for an initial visit and $350 for a follow-up) prevent a lot of people from seeing him. Her belief is that a good portion of his business comes from people in other parts of the country who travel to see him or do phone consultations.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2007]
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Be sure to read tiggereh's post called "My Success with Anti-virals." It's very inspiring.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Tuesday, January 9
    Famvir--Day 64

Day 64: 500 mg

I'm back home after getting blood drawn, having lunch with a friend, and then driving from Indianapolis to Chicago. I only got six hours of sleep last night....occasionally it's hard for me to sleep away from home. I'm feeling tired, but it's hard to know how tired.

The key question is how I would feel tomorrow, not how I'm doing now. However, since I want to get back to killing viruses before they mutate, I'm raising the Famvir dosage today. How I feel tomorrow will be affected by that, and so whether I'm better than I always have been in the past after a trip like this one will be hard to tell.

I'm less interested in measuring just how well I'm doing than at moving along, but it is interesting to note that I do seem to be doing pretty well. I usually function at a 6/7 (when not doing push/crash). The past several days (after going down to 250 mg of Famvir) have been maybe a 7+. Obviously that's not where I want to be, but it's encouraging.

One thing that I noticed today is that my tongue has become a very healthy-looking pink all over, and with no white at all on the top. (White on the top of the tongue suggests the presence of yeast, of course.) It's not looked like this ever since I've been ill. (I never noticed such things before.)

It could be just that I've done a terrific job of purging yeast from my system through the usual methods (e.g. probiotics, avoiding sugar, herbal yeast killers, vitamin C etc.). I certainly have worked on it. However, considering that I'm still eating bread (which converts to sugar really fast) and since I've gone on other stringent anti-yeast programs before, I'm not sure that this is the sole reason.

I think it's _possible_ that the Famvir is lowering the viral counts and thus allowing my immune system some breathing room (e.g. giving them a chance to knock off some yeast while on their "coffee breaks"). If that were the case, it would be extremely significant.

My friend asked me yesterday when I was going to be able to start eating sugar again. I said, "Never." Then I told her my yeast horror stories.

Even if I get wholly better and it seems like my system can handle sugar, though, I am never ever going to have any of it (except insofar as it's present in things like EmergenC and soy milk that have greater good to them). There is no reason to make my immune system fight off yeast, _ever_. It has been through enough already, and deserves all the help it can get forever.
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Wednesday, January 10
    Famvir--Day 65

Day 64-65: 500 mg

I am herxing pretty strongly today. My mind is gone. I'm feverish. I have a ton of congestion and a mild headache. I'm very tired. Noise (especially voices) bothers me. I'm extremely thirsty. I'm sleepy but not able to get enough sleep.

I'm not sure why the symptoms are worse now than when I was taking 500 mg last week.

The explanation that I like better is that my body is more fatigued since I just came back from a trip, and thus is having a harder time disposing of the additional dead bugs.

The less preferable explanation is that the bugs multiplied quickly even though I was still at a lower dose of the medicine, and that they're thus very mean little critters.

Would anyone like to vote?

All things being equal, it might have been better to wait another day to recover from my trip before starting the drug again. However, I'd like to do virus killing as fast as my body can fairly easily tolerate so that resistant strains are less likely to develop.

CherylSue, the Sambucol syrup seems to me to be working better for acute purposes than the elderberry capsules. That, along with some of Grandma Millie's Brew (hot tea, 2 T bourbon and 1 t honey) knocked out the vast majority of my congestion and scratchy throat.

It's possible the elderberry capsules are useful for preventative purposes, though. I may keep taking them.

Looking at the EmergenC box, 5 g of fructose per packet does add up. I ordered some buffered capsules of Vitamin C, which my doctor recommended. I am going to continue my usual 6,000 mg of EmergenC per day (since it absorbs extremely well), but then add on as much capsuled Vitamin C as I can without getting diarrhea.

I am going to wait until this Famvir herxing dies down a bit to increase the Vitamin C that much, though. Vitamin C kills viruses and removes toxins, and my body's already busy enough with the Famvir.

My insurance company reports that Nexavir (injections or transdermal) is not covered under the plan. I am going to ask if I can appeal, but it's doubtful.

When I see Dr. Guyer again, I will ask him if adding the Nexavir to the AV's for a while (e.g. a month or two) might be helpful in maximizing the chance that enough viruses can be cleared that my immune system will start functioning properly on its own again. I would be worth the out-of-pocket cost if the likelihood were substantially increased, I think.

Considering that I just came back from that trip and increased the Famvir dosage on the same day, I could be feeling a whole lot worse. This is about as good as I would expect. My system is getting stronger, I think.

Tonight I'm going to take some melatonin (hopefully I can get some better sleep) and go to bed early.

[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Have you read my thread "A Strategic Plan for Getting Truly Well"? It should answer most of your questions.

The Famvir apparently does not require frequent testing. I have been on it for two months, and just got a bloo test. I am returning to see him in another two months and presumably will be tested again to see how I'm doing.

Valcyte requires more frequent blood tests.....possibly every week or two.

The tentative time for me to be on Famvir and then Valcyte is six months. I get the feeling it could be longer if I'm still getting die-off after that time. In another four months, my doctor could have learned something that would cause him to change his mind about what seems best too.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I don't know that this is the "answer" to anything, but I do feel like I'm killing a lot of stuff off and felt like I'd made progress when I gave my body that "break" last week. It will be interesting to see how far I can take it.
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hang in there, Lisa! You are doing great.

I just read that a rash can be a sign of getting well from a virus!

Love,
    Forebearance
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Thursday, January 11
    Famvir--Day 66

Day 66: 250 mg

Symptoms of having a cold this morning. Lots of stuffiness, very bad headache, feverish feeling, very scratchy throat, weak. Temperature was 98.0 degrees, which is low for me.

Since my "killer flu" that started off the CFS, this is only the second time in 11 years that I've had any kind of cold/flu symptoms. I don't know if this is a reaction to something I picked up or the kind of "cold" that Forebearance has been getting from taking Virastop.

In any case, it could be progress. Some say that people start getting cold symptoms when they get more healthy.

I took the following:

* Sambucol
    * Echinacea/goldenseal
    * ProBoost
    * Aspirin
    * Cup of strong peppermint tea (for headache) with 2 T bourbon and 1 t honey (for germ killing)
    * 3,000 mg EmergenC and 5,000 mg Vitamin C capsules

I then took a nap for four hours. After I woke up, my symptoms were pretty much gone.

Since I was feeling weak, I only took a half dose of the Famvir.

Question for Forebearance: did you get "colds" before starting Virastop?

[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Friday, January 12
    Famvir--Day 67

Day 67: 500 mg

Felt okay today, though a bit out of it. Lymph nodes near my throat feel swollen.

I'm taking this as a good sign that viruses are being drained from my body. (I've not gotten this symptom since the beginning of my illness.)

I need to think about this some more, but I don't think that the method by which Famvir kills herpes viruses goes through the lymph system in this way. (I've not had this symptom through my entire eventful experience with Famvir so far.)

I'm hoping this means that my own immune system is starting to work better with regard to killing off other sorts of viruses, therefore. This is what my doctor said should happen after my herpes viruses got knocked out by the Famvir. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It occurs to me that this viral killing is the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life. (My Ph.D. program, which was extremely hard, didn't really come close. I really _enjoyed_ doing that.)

This is not a bad thing though. Chemotherapy is undoubtedly just as hard, and I don't think that's any more important than this. Viruses cause cancer. Therefore, knocking them out now---and making it less likely that I will get cancer later on---seems extremely worthwhile, even if I don't count the "feeling better" benefits of it.
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Saturday, January 13
    Famvir--Day 68

Day 67-68: 500 mg

The strange thing about this experiment is how much my symptoms keep changing. Right now my main problem is headaches. I also have sinus congestion, lymph node swelling in my neck, fatigue, and mental fogginess.

(The fact that I am able to create and argue hypotheses has nothing to do with fogginess. It's like that part of my brain remains cased in its own little shell and continues to work just fine regardless of I'm doing in general. My problems come more with the difficulty of getting my thoughts down in written words, and things like forgetting words and choosing wrong words like "fine" instead of "find".)

This sounds on the surface like "just a cold," except that I don't get colds. I have not gotten a cold since I came down with that "killer flu" that introduced my CFS 11 years ago. And I've had only one flu since that time: a vicious bug (my husband had it too) that stayed with me for three weeks.

My husband and others close to me get colds all the time, and I'm exposed on places like airplanes too.

So even if this is a cold that I've acquired, this is something new. Or conceivably my body's getting rid of a virus that's already present. The interesting this about this hypothesis is that the symptoms are different than one I experienced the first few months. Perhaps my immune system really is starting to do some extra work of its own, so we will see.

I wonder if other people have this reaction. No one else I've heard of does. Then again, my immune condition is supposed to be really bad, even compared to other people who appear to be really sick. I need to ask my doctor on my next visit whether my own weird experience is similar to that of anyone else he's seen.

I tend to think this is herxing rather than a simple cold. As with all herxing, the only thing that provides any relief is lots of sleep. (I don't usually get headaches that are anything like this.) I'm also getting a lot of feverish feelings, which are unusual for me.

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2007]
  12. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm sorry to hear you are so sick. It sounds like you have the nasty virus that is going around Chicagoland. However, take comfort in that your body is reacting like a "normal" immune system functions. I would definitely contact Dr. Guyer and let him know what is happening. He may have a few suggestions for you.

According to Dr. Cheney Nexavir gel is supposed to be the most potent antiviral around. Maybe you should consider trying it earlier rather than later.

Many hugs to you.

CherylSue
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Thanks for your sympathy. I think I should be offering it to you though, since your cold symptoms sound a lot worse than mine.

After a long nap, my "cold" symptoms have gone away totally. (I imagine they or replacement symptoms will be back though.) The past few days have been pretty weird. It's been sort of like a cold, but a lot different than any cold I've experienced.

If I get really sick, I definitely will call the doctor's office for advice.

However, insofar as the symptoms don't a) go on for unrelieved extended periods of time at an intolerable level, b) seem to be burning out my adrenals, or c) not subside in a day if I reduce the drug dosage, I'm inclined to just keep plugging away.

I definitely understand where you're coming from since colds etc. have been your undoing, though. It's strange how different the "relapse" CFS is from the "steady state" one.

After 11 years (including some times when I've pushed myself _way_ too hard), I've never had a relapse that's lasted more than a few days.

(This does not count being foolish enough to let yeast take over my body, which I'm taking care not to do again. And burning out my adrenals like Jolie could do it too....although when I've done that to a lesser extent in the past, I've always been able to compensate for the problem with added DHEA.)

I don't understand why (at a fundamental level) some people get such huge relapses and others don't at all. If we could figure that out, perhaps it would get us a lot closer to understanding the disease.....and most certainly how to treat it.

I'm still thinking about it.
  14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My last cold was two years ago, and occured as a relapse within a relapse. That's why I was so nervous with this cold. I didn't want it to push back my recovery.

Dr. Papernik doesn't understand why my CFS acts this way, either. He said usually subsequent relapses are milder and are of lesser duration.

My CFS relapses begin with fever, and I can tell the difference. This relapse began with burning on my arms, torso, neck, and face like a sunburn - Peripheral neurapathy caused by the virus.

Both relapses lasted about 13 months. I'm hoping this one won't last as long.

Klonopin helps with sleep but gives me next day sedation. I don't know whether to lower the dose to .25mg or just take it sporadically.

Fatigue and low stamina are my biggest complaints now. My work date has been pushed up to 2/7.

I hoping that some 7-keto DHEA may give me a boost.

Hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you have a handle on your cold. That's certainly a good sign. The Sambucol syrup is definitely better than the lozenges. I found the zinc lozenges plus from Vitamin Shoppe very helpful, too.

Did Dr. Guyer mention D-Ribose? This seems to be the new "wonder" supplement. I purchased 3 jars from Corvalen. After 2 1/2 jars, I discovered I was in the 1/3 group that had no effect. It may help you. It's worth a try. I purchased mine online from the Corvalen company. It was much cheaper than what others are paying.

Get well soon.

CherylSue
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

What time do you take the Klonopin? Perhaps if you take it an hour or two before bedtime, it will wear off by the time you wake up. I don't know about you, but Klonopin doesn't make me sleepy if I don't need sleep. It just makes me sleep better.

On the other hand, if you feel drowsy in the morning, maybe it just means that you're not sleeping enough. How do you feel on those occasions when you get more sleep.

I still am not convinced this is a "cold" (insofar as it's one that I got from someone else this week). For one thing, all the symptoms go away if I get enough sleep. That sounds more like herxing to me.

If Forebearance hadn't been doing this "give myself a cold with Virustop" thing, I'd be more perplexed about it. In any case though, something certainly is shifting in my body.

I bought some Pure Encapsulations ribose but have yet to try it. I'm thinking I should go back and read about it a little first.

Stamina could be related to DHEA. For me it's more a "life is too difficult to handle even one more minute" hormone. How much 7 keto are you thinking about starting with?

No real symptoms today except fatigue/sleepiness. I'm going to take a nap to be proactive.

How long has this relapse been going on for you?
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Sunday, January 14
    Famvir--Day 69

Day 67-69: 500 mg

Cold symptoms have dissipated. As long as I get lots of sleep, they seem to not be a problem.

I'm feeling a little emotionally worn out today. Part is understandable, but I'm of the belief that part has to do with the drug. Hopefully this means that viruses in the mood centers of my brain are being killed and that long-term I will have a positive outcome.

We will see.
  17. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Thanks for posting your progress on your "cold." I hope it is a good herxing for you.

I've been battling an off/on again type of cold for the past two weeks. My husband had a cold. My doctor had a cold when I saw her 1/4/07. It never fully manifested itself. Just tightness in the nose and clear drainage, some soreness in the face at first. It just won't leave!

I've had this D...relapse since July 10th. It's as awful as the last two. It's such a sloooww recovery.

I started 7-keto DHEA today, but then I saw Munch's post, so I'm thinking of stopping. Maybe I'll try Mitochondria Ignite NT. I just want more energy. Today I had a malaise/fatigue spell that lasted a few hours.

I can't seem to sleep during the day. I just rest in a darkened room and listen to my Delta CD.

What is going on with us, Lisa? Are we fighting a few more viruses? Maybe, it just takes us longer to get over colds, etc. I'm glad to hear that you can overcome yours by napping if the cold is what you really have. Maybe, I need to do more of that.

I try to leave the house everyday for a brief errand. Since I was bedridden for 3 months, I can't stay cooped up. Maybe, this is slowing my progress. I also socialize on the phone with friends/family or go out to lunch/dinner. Maybe, I need to slow down even more. I used to go for walks, but my cold stopped that.

I feel like this cold has set me back a spell, but so far, thank God, it hasn't hit my brain yet. I can still sodoku and drive.

Still looking for more pieces of the puzzle,

CherylSue

18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Lisa!

Sorry I'm so slow to answer. I would bet my hat that you had an immune response to the Famvir. It sounded exactly like what I have been feeling after taking Virastop. I even had the same unusual headache. In my case it was a severe sinus headache, which I don't usually get. It felt like something was battling in the depths of my sinuses. (Perhaps something was living in there or hiding there?)

I have been getting colds like a regular person for the past 8 years or so. The first 3 years I got 3-hour colds, because my immune system was on overdrive. The next 6 years I got colds more easily and worse than a normal person, because my thyroid was going out.

Actually, you know what my immune response on Virastop feels like? It feels like I am picking up where I left off in the healing process of the original illness that began my CFS.

When I first got sick with a mono-like illness, I healed to point of getting out of bed and lopping around the house, but I never went through the runny nose, congestion, and sinus stuff that often happens when kicking out a virus. It was like my progress was stalled.

Does that make any sense? It does to me!

Love,
    Forebearance
  19. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I am so glad to hear the comments that my "cold" symptoms suggest that my immune system may be getting better. That keeps occurring to me, but I hardly dare to hope.

I am going to start a new thread now.