Famvir Status Report Week Seventeen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Thursday, March 8
    Famvir--Day 122

Days 1-6: 250 mg
    Days 7-13: 500 mg
    Day 14: No Drug
    Day 15-20: 500 mg
    Day 21-22: No Drug
    Day 23-27: 500 mg
    Day 28-29: 250 mg
    Day 30-36: No drug
    Day 37-50: 250 mg
    Day 51-57: 500 mg
    Day 58-63: 250 mg
    Day 64-65: 500 mg
    Day 66: 250 mg
    Day 67-87: 500 mg
    Day 88-98: 250 mg
    Day 99-122: 500 mg

As reported earlier, I took an overly large dose of the supplements cited at the bottom of this post earlier this week. Relatively severe detoxification symptoms resulted.

(I wrote "relatively" because they were nowhere near as severe as those reported by some people on this board at certain points in time.)

I stopped the supplements for two days, and the detox symptoms gradually faded away.

Last night, I resume the methylation cycle block supplements I previously had been taking (this time at the recommended doses).

Today, the detox symptoms resumed. Early in the day I felt overwhelmingly thirsty, and I drank about 80 ounces of water during the period of a couple of hours. Overall I felt pretty mucky. I had a headache and wanted to sleep more than usual. My stomach felt sick in the way it did when I was getting other detox symptoms earlier in the week.

(Prior to using these supplements, the only time I had felt sick to my stomach in the same way was after getting a colonic. The colonics therapist told me later that she thought that my "liver had done a bile dump" into my empty intestines. Remembering this soon after I woke up today, I drank some soy milk and ate some applesauce to get some food into my intestines quickly. The queasy feeling went away shortly afterwards.)

The detox symptoms all ceased about 16 hours after I took the supplements. I felt pretty good for the rest of the day, compratively speaking.

I thus am feeling fairly confident that the methyl block supplements are causing this reaction.

In addition, if Rich van Koynenberg's theory is true, this is a categorically different sort of effect than those of other detoxification agents. Supposedly, glutathione has other effects besides detoxification, including energy production and inhibition of viruses.

I just added some clearer materials on this topic to the thread called

methyl block to glutathione usage (pls read?)

This thread was started by me on 3/01/07.

As I've said before, I'm surprised and cautiously pleased that these supplements appear to be doing something. I will ask my doctor for more information when I see him in about two weeks.

In addition to the Famvir and these supplements, I'm also taking 200 mg of nattokinase (to reduce fibrin in the blood and allow the AV to work better), 4Life Advanced Transfer Factor (a general TF not designed to target specific viruses), and some Chinese herbs (for general system support).

I also take a variety of supplements, several hormones, and a couple of drugs (Lamictal and Klonopin), all of which I've been using for years.

I seem to be improving fairly rapidly now. If this continues, I soon will be back to the point where I was before I started the Famvir (60-70%). This will be progress, since the drug has pushed me down considerably (to about 20-40%) for most of the time I have been on it.

Of course, once I increase the viral killing some more (through the addition of transfer factor targeted at herpes viruses and/or the substitution of Valcyte for the Famvir), I am certain to feel worse again.

Whether I have made any "progress" in terms of getting better in the long-term, I do not know yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Methylation Cycle Block Supplements

1) 1/4 tablet (200 micrograms) Folapro

Folapro is 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, an active form of folate, which is sold by Metagenics with a license from Merck, which holds the patent on synthesis.

2) 1/4 tablet Intrinsic B12/folate

This includes 200 micrograms of folate as a combination of folic acid, 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, and 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate, aka folinic acid or leucovoricin (another active form of folate), 125 micrograms of vitamin B12 as cyancobalamin, 22.5 milligrams of calcium, 17.25 milligrams of phosphorus, and 5 milligrams of intrinsic factor

3) 1 softgel capsule Phosphatidyl Serine Complex

This includes the phospholipids and some fatty acids

4) 1 sublingual lozenge Perque B12

2,000 micrograms hydroxocobalmin with some mannitol, sucanat, magnesium and cherry extract

5) 200 mg SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine)

[This Message was Edited on 03/08/2007]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Friday, March 9
    Famvir--Day 123

Day 99-123: 500 mg

More detox symptoms today. I was very thirsty this morning, and have felt mucky all day. A mild icky headache has continued all day.

My sleep has been quite off since I started taking the Famvir, and the methylation cycle block supplements seem to be making this worse.

My doctor's theory (at my last visit) was that the Famvir was killing viruses in my brain. Perhaps the methyl block stuff is causing detoxing in my brain, and perhaps killing viruses as well.

deliarose wrote to the board last night and said that she is doing really well. (She's been on the equivalent of Transfer Factor C---targeted at HHV6, EBV, CMV and other stuff---for about four months, and the methyl block supplements for about three weeks. This is encouraging news.

Delia said that the biggest improvement in the past few weeks has been with her brain fog. Perhaps the sleep problems, mucky feeling, and headaches are the price to pay to achieve that. We will see.

Despite the toxicity, I've been having the strong desire to get some exercise. It was warm out and so I went for a walk. (It started to rain and so it was only for about 20 minutes, which probably was long enough anyway.) Last night I did a little bit of yoga. So maybe things are improving at some level.

(I used to take reasonably long walks or do a half-hour of moderate yoga most days before starting the Famvir, and I'm glad to be in the mood to do a little bit again.)

I had thought my digestive tract was in good shape, but it has felt toxic and constipated since I started the methyl block supplements. Rich van K says that having this system in good working order is extremely important with regards to disposing of the toxins released, and so maybe this is to be expected.

I'm going to start using some mild laxative (Metamucil with senna and/or cascara sagrada), and scheduled a colonic for next week. I will continue to take my megadoses of Vitamin C and probiotics of course.

All in all,, I'm still feeling hopeful. It was especially good to hear Delia's report.

3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Does anyone have suggestions about anything that might make me feel sleepy? Like the sleep that you fall into and feels like it's healing.

I have been having an awfully lot of agitated exhaustion since starting the Famvir, and more since starting the methyl block stuff.

I hadn't had much of this for a long time prior, even on those evenings that I didn't take Klonopin. Now I generally don't get much sleep at all unless I take both klonopin and melatonin.

i've taking about 500 mg of magnesium and 800 mg of l-theaning per day. That helps some, but not enough.

I don't know if sleep remedies per se are the answer though. i feel like what I'm missing is something that would cause my body to click into place.

This is very vague, but suggestions would be appreciated.

Perhaps when I go to the Chinese doctor again,, he will alter the formulas to help. (The medicine did help when I first started.) i won't be able to see him for a couple of weeks though.

Best, Lisa

4. ask2266

ask2266 Member

This is week 6 for me of 2000 mg Famvir and heparin to reduce fibrinogen. As stated earlier, I have tested positive for EBV and Candida (no HHV-6, Lyme, etc.). I am feeling GREAT (comparatively).

When I started this disease, I was at 25%. Now I'm at at least 80%, I'd say. 100% would be complete remission to me.

I've had this since May 2006 and started lots of supplements and hormones in July 2006. In January 2007, I started Famvir 250mg per day and worked my way up to 2000mg per day by the end of the month. Then in Feb 2007, I started 2000mg Famvir per day with heparin. When I started the Famvir, I was at 45%.

At week 2-3, I had bad herxing (down to 10%), and the worst symptom I got (Lisa) was the wired/tired feeling. (I had this some before I started the Famvir, but it would be off and on different days) I was over-aggitated, shaky, couldn't sleep well, and yet I was exhausted and wanted to be in a dark room with no noise, where I would just lie there and not sleep, or sleep and have 25 dreams and wake up after only 30 minutes had passed.

I was taking Klonopin, Ambien, Xyrem, Lunesta, Trazadone, Doxepin, Melatonin, Kava, all the herbal stuff. You name it, I tried it, and nothing worked alone. I ended up where I would take 6 mg of Lunesta, 2 mg of Klonopin and 6 herbal supplements to fall asleep. Then, I'd wake up 3 hours later and take an Ambien 10mg (not CR) to sleep until 6:30am. Or I'd take Xyrem to sleep 3 hours and then an Ambien to sleep another 3. It was bad, but my central nervous system was so stimulated, it was crazy.

In week 4 of Famvir, these symptoms began dissipating significantly. Now, I don't feel wired anymore, which was a hallmark symptom for me before. I only have to take 3 mg of Lunesta to sleep through the night. ALL of my symptoms have been almost eliminated, except my brain fog which is the same or worse. It could be that I'm noticing brain fog more because I am doing a whole lot more in terms of multitasking during the day since I'm feeling better.

The other stuff I take:
    cortef (10mg)
    florinef (.05mcg)
    plaquenil (200 mg-2x per day)
    T3 thyroid hormone (75mcg)
    vitamin c (1000mg)
    coq10
    alpha lipoic acid
    Nystatin
    diflucan (200mg)
    famvir (1000 mg 2x per day)
    magnesium
    malic acid
    calcium and vitamin D
    fish oil
    30 million probiotics per day
    mulitvitamin
    celexa (40mg)
    lunesta (3mg)

I plan on taking the Famvir and heparin for at least 6 months, and then see where I am and begin to quit taking each medication one by one, to see what I really need long term. If this fails, I will consider Valcyte.
  5. mcondon

mcondon New Member

As you probably know, Cheney recommends three drugs taken in combination for sleep and to lower the threshold potential in the brain: Klonopin, Neurontin, and Doxepin. He says that Klonopin works to put you to sleep, while Neurontin and Doxepin keep you from early waking. If all three are taken in small doses, the hangover effects are minimized. I have never heard him say that any of his patients have had problems with these medications in combination, probably because the doses of each are not that high. (A lot of people on this board report problems with Neurontin or the follow-on drug Lyrica...I have not had those problems.) He also says that all three are neuroprotective and that Doxepin is a potent immune modulator. (Doxepin is supposedly the most powerful antihistamine ever discovered.) In addition, he recommends that patients take GABA with these drugs, at 500 to 1,000 mg.

Independently, I have found that nebulized glutathione is really helpful with sleep. (Cheney actually originally prescribed it to help me deal with some environmental sensitivies when I moved into a newly renovated apartment.) If I nebulize around bed time for 10 minutes or so, I sleep like a rock. I get the nebulized glutathione from Key Pharmacy in Washington. It's not too expensive, about $60 for a three months supply, but you need a prescription. The nebulizer costs about $70 bucks, but you only would pay that once.

Good luck getting better sleep.
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Wow, that's terrific improvement!!! I'm really impressed and happy for you.

I am taking a ridiculously long time in comparison, but perhaps that is to be expected. I do seem to be chock full o' viruses. Your proogress definitely is giving me hope.

I'm glad you seem to be doing better this week too. Are you over that flu?

Also, is this Week 10 since you've started the Famvir? (And Week 6 just since you added the blood thinner?)

Thanks for the info on your sleep problems too. I hadn't heard a lot of people talk about those before. I guess I'm doing as expected, then.

As a side note, I once took 100 mg of Diflucan for six months for a fungal sinus infection. A few years went by and then the sinus infection came back (in worse form---it was growing into my inner ears and making me dizzy). I took Diflucan for another month.

After that, all my yeast became Diflucan-resistant. I am kind of living in terror now that the sinus yeast will come back and I will be incapacitated. (My doctor said he would have a preparation of ampotericin-b and petroleum jelly made for intranasal use in that event, but I'm not sure it will work.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're taking the Diflucan for, but I thought I'd mention my experience.

Thanks for writing....you've made me feel much more optimistic.

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 03/09/2007]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I knew that Cheney recommended Klonopin and Doxepin, but I wasn't aware that he thought the Neurontin was a good addition.

What dosage does he recommend when used in combination with the other two?

I used it a while back in an attempt to control mood swings, but found Lamictal much better. It might be useful for sleep though.

I used the Doxepin for quite a while, but then concluded that the Klonopin was doing perfectly fine to push me into a deeper sleep on its own. (I wasn't having problems sleeping per se when I stopped the Doxepin, just at getting good-quality sleep.) Then I forgot all about the Doxepin when I started having sleep problems with the Famvir. I will begin it again and see how I do.

I've used GABA before, but not in combination with the others. It was somewhat relaxing, but at times made my fingertips feel numb (an apparently not-unusual effect) and so I stopped it. I never would have thought of using it in combination with the klonopin, since I would have been afraid that the two would be too potent together since the benzos have GABA activity. (I know that mixtures of benzodiazapines and kava kava have resulted in a few deaths.) Apparently the GABA is safer than I would have guessed if he's recommending it though.

I don't know anything about Lyrica. Comments?

I also am not sure whether it's a good idea to take any sort of glutathione supplements at the same time as these methyl cycle block ones, considering how strongly I'm reacting to the latter. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

"Sleep like a rock" sounds great. I am going to have to look into the nebulized glutathione, since I have no experience with that at all.

Thanks for the comments!

Best, Lisa
  8. ask2266

ask2266 Member

Lisa,

I'm glad that my post gives you hope. It gives me hope, too, because I'm not out of the woods yet. And HOPE is everything, I've discovered.

I'm still dealing with residual sinus drainage and slight cough from the flu, but I feel much better. What's interesting is that with this flu I slept really hard and was fatigued like a normal person with flu, not fatigued like a person who has been on amphetamines for 6 days straight, which is what my cfids has been like sometimes.

Technically, I guess it has been 10 weeks on the Famvir, but I guess that I'm counting it starting from when I was on my maximum dose and the heparin, because I plan to do 6 months of that-- which will bring me to the end of July, I think.

See you next post! :) Ashley
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow, that is so encouraging, ask! So it's probably a good sign that Lisa can't sleep!

I know exactly what you mean, Lisa, but I don't know of anything that would work for you specifically. You could try hawthorn tea. It makes me sleepy. But I can't guarantee it would help you.

I am really encouraged to hear that you felt like exercising a bit. The warmer weather makes me feel like walking, but I haven't done it yet.

Love,
    Forebearance
  10. ask2266

ask2266 Member

11. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

It is so heartening to hear that the both of you are improving, probably due to Famvir and other things, but improving, nonetheless.

God bless,

CherylSue
  12. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I read in a study that sleep problems appear across all spectrums of CFS. You do your best, I guess. You'll know you are better when you can finally sleep on your own.

When I am in remission, my sleep is much better.

Just hang in there.

CherylSue
  13. mcondon

mcondon New Member

I think Cheney starts patients on 100 mg of Neurontin. Over time, patients increase the dosage of each drug (Klonopin, Doxepin, Neurontin) so that they can sleep well but don't feel hungover the next day. I currently take 600 mg each night.

As far as Lyrica goes, Cheney wanted me to switch to it from Neurontin, but my insurance company won't pay for it unless my doctor can demonstrate that Neurontin doesn't work for me, which it does.

Somewhere on immunesupport, Carol Sieverling wrote an article about Cheney's protocol for sleep. It does not mention doses though.
  14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Saturday, March 10
    Famvir--Day 124

Day 99-124: 500 mg

Pretty terrible day. Very irritable, inert, depressed and hung over.

I took 10 drops of doxepin last night and slept extremely well. I am certain that the response during the day has been a result though.

I know that I could try taking less, but this is an exacerbation of the feelings that made me stop taking doxepin to begin with. I'm going to have to find another way to get sleep, I think.

I skipped the methyl block supplements last night and haven't had any symptoms of detox today. The only one is a slight sick feeling to my stomach.

Perhaps I am still getting liver detox, and the fact that I've been too annoyed to eat anything all day is probably contributing. The constipation (I've taken all kinds of stuff to try to relieve it) couldn't be a good thing either.

I guess I will eat something now, although it makes me ticked to even think about having to do it. I also am ticked that a) I thought I would have energy to go out today (based on my recent experiences) and didn't, b) I have gained enough weight from sitting around doing nothing for the past four months that none of my clothes fit, c) I have been taking this Famvir for more than four months and am still sick from it while other people seem to be making progress, d) I have been doing everything "right" and am getting no benefits, e) I am tired of having my life be pointlessly devoid of anything interesting or meaningful, f) my vaginal infection (acquired last year) has unexpectedly returned, g) my house is a wreck, and h) I am losing hope that _anything_ is ever going to get better.

I'm staying far away from that doxepin from now on.

I also am trying to figure out the best way to take 1/8 of a tablet of those first two methyl block supplements (the folate ones). They are extremely hard pills, and so cutting them even into quarters was an endeavor.

I've not been in this bad of a mood for perhaps years, I don't think. Hopefully it will wear off.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not try to encourage me by telling me that I am making progress, or that things will likely get better, or that things could be worse, or any such nonsense.

And also, PLEASE don't give me any advice about what I've written in this post.

I am putting my thoughts here for historical purposes only.

Thanks!

P.S. It wasn't a bad thing for me to try the doxepin though. We all, if we experment at all, hit upon things that are not compatible with our bodies. Life and learn.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2007]
  15. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Do you feel like a guinea pig? We all are. Everything looks so positive in print until we try it. It looks good in theory.

I still don't what to think about Nexavir. I've been having fatigue spells. I don't know if anything is working. I just keep praying I'm doing the right thing. I may be on too high a dose now.

I know how you feel. I think in the long run we have to go by what our instinct or gut is telling us. I think I need to stay on Nexavir awhile.

I've had small improvements - burning skin subsided, fluency in speaking, clarity of thought, watching feature length films, walking 5 blocks, driving a few miles. It sounds pathetic, but it is progress, nonetheless. My secondary depression subsided, also. But I still have that heavy, heavy, sick fatigue and low stamina and disruptive sleep.

How long was your senior friend sick with CFS? How long was she on Famvir? Is her case similar to yours?

I feel your pain, as Clinton would say.

Hugs,
    CherylSue
  16. ask2266

ask2266 Member

is that, from what I can tell, you have to make yourself feel worse to get better....

BUT THEN there is no way to tell the difference between when you're feeling worse to get better, or your disease is just getting worse, or the treatment is making you feel worse with no benefit at all.

So you doubt your treatment, switch your treatment, add stuff and quit taking stuff, and it's just maddening. You just don't know. And meanwhile, you feel like s$#t.
  17. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Aw, Lisa. My heart goes out to you.

I think I wrote somewhere about how the other night I was lying in bed thinking "I am going to a LOT of effort to take all these pills, and my reward is that I get to feel lousy." It's the pits.

Forebearance
  18. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Sunday, March 11
    Famvir--Day 125

Day 99-125: 500 mg

I continued to feel somewhat depressed and irritated today, although not as bad as yesterday. I felt better when I was lying in bed half-asleep doing nothing, which hasn't been the case for a while.

I am still attributing this to the doxepin. I looked up info on the drug today, and it turns out that the metabolite has a half-life of 57 hours. Even if my kidneys/liver are functioning well, that's a long time. Tomorrow morning will be approximately 57 hours, and so maybe things will be a bit better than.

According to my calculations though, it will be another week before it's pretty much all gone. My body simply does not like drugs, I don't think.

Upon reflection, I wonder if the Famvir has a mild depressive effect on me. Obviously most of the difficulties with it have been with die-off, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have mild side effects too. I've taken a lot of drugs (most for for very short periods of time) since I've been sick, and the majority do a number on my central nervous system. Well, I will find out eventually.

I took 1/8 of each of the folate supplements and 1/2 of the SAMe dose last night. (Plus the full dose of B12 and phosphatityl serine). I got a very mild version of the detox reactions I had at a larger dose. (These had _nothing_ to do with depression or irritability, and so I don't think those supplements are the culprits now. Especially since I didn't take any of them the night before last.) That seems like a good dose for the time being, therefore.

My muscles feel slightly sore, probably from the mild yoga and short walks I've had recently and also time of the month. I feel really bad for those people with fibro. Having to deal with that along with CFS would be particularly bad.

Nonetheless, I wish I had enough energy to exercise and get some of my muscles back. Regardless of how well I get, I think that will be a reasonably high priority after I finish the AV project.

[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2007]
  19. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My friend's mother got sick in about 1993, at age 53 or so. By 2003, she had worked her way up from about 10% to maybe 60%, using same sorts of run-of-the-mill CFS treatments that I used.

Then she started the Famvir (she was one of Dr. Guyer's earlier patients on it) and took it for about 18 months. She said she got somewhat better during this time but that she wasn't sure it was attributable to the drug. She didn't have any major die-off.

About six months after she stopped taking the drug, she got wholly better and has stayed that way for about three years. This is similar to what Dr. Guyer cited as a typical case of his. He attributes only part of the wellness to the Famvir, and the rest to other things she had done over the years to improve her health.

She and I started the Famvir at about the same level of health, and so perhaps that bodes well for my recovery. Dr. Guyer is now using Valcyte for a few months rather than keeping patients on Famvir for a long time, or at least he was when I saw him in early January. Hopefully by now he will have enough experience to begin to know how it compares to Famvir in terms of helping patients to achieve full and sustainable remission.

Thank you to all of you who volunteered that you "feel my pain." That actually was really helpful to read.

Best, Lisa

20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Monday, March 12
    Famvir--Day 126

Day 99-126: 500 mg

I felt better today! I slept long and well, and was in reasonably good shape during the day. No depression or irritability. The weather was nice, and so I went for a walk (about a mile). I also straightened up the house some. I was sleepy during the day (and therefore not at full functioning mentally), but it was a good kind of sleepy.

I am accustomed (even before the use of the Famvir) to having a theoretical desire to do things but a lethargy that kept me from doing them unless I pushed myself.

Now the lethargy is less even though my physical ability to do them is nowhere near where it was before I started the drug. Of course, it could just be that I am so stir-crazy from doing nothing for so long that I am desperate to do things. Still, this seems the very first thing that has happened to me that is an improvement from before I started the drug, and so I have to be pleased about that.

(Well, I did have a bit of increase in functioning during the week in early January that I went down to a half-dose to visit my doctor. Somehow I never felt like that "counted" though.)

I followed Forebearance's lead last night and took some l-glutamine (1000 mg). She says this helps her sleep, and so perhaps this is responsible for my ability to do so.

I was suspicious that the SAMe had been ruining my sleep and so reduced the dose to 100 mg last night. Someone on another thread said that it is energizing and thus should be taken during the day. I took 100 mg in late afternoon today and perhaps eventually will increase the dose. We shall see.

It's possible that the remnants of the doxepin are now at a level that I am getting sleep without side effects, but I don't believe it. Still, if the sleep problems come back, I will try it again at a miniscule dose and see what happens.

I am continuing to take tiny doses of the two folate supplements (1/8 of a pill each), along with the recommended amount of phosphatidyl serine and a good bit of both methylcobalmin and hydroxycobalmin (forms of Vitamin B12). I am going to order the TMG stuff and add that as well.

I'm not getting any detox symptoms with this amount, and so perhaps I will be able to go back to the recommended dose soon.

I'm unclear about what would happen if I took undenatured whey protein at the same time as the methylation cycle block supplements. I need to find out.

Oh, I didn't have any feverish feelings (suggesting herxing from the AV) either.

All in all, i'm doing well. The sleepy feeling is present, but it feels healthy and I am glad to have it.

[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2007]