Fan noise to aid sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

It has been about a year now that I started sleeping at night with a small fan running in my room. This time of year I turn it away from me so I don't get cold.

It started because of the heat but now I find that I sleep so much better that I hesitate sleeping without it.

I guess it is called "white noise". I remember the topic when our babies were little that some infants slept better with background noise.

In my case it blocks out the sounds of others coming and going in the morning or late at night. I have a 19 year old son who still lives at home but keeps different hours because of college and his social life than me.

Just a suggestion to try and is inexpensive.

hugs Redwillow
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

We have an air filter running in our bedroom. It really helps to fall asleep as my teenagers are noisy and don't want to go to bed until the middle of the night!!!

I have a portable "sound machine" I can take with me if I go out of town. Don't know how I'd sleep without it!

TerryS
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

I've been using this old, beat-up square window fan for that very reason for about 10 years now. 6 years ago, my first one broke down, and my partner bought a new one. TOO QUIET! We went out to garage sales until we found an old one that would make more noise.

It blocks out just about anything, even:

-The crying infant in the condo below us.
    -The woman upstairs who insists on climbing on her nordic-track five minutes after we go to bed.
    -The cell phone, if I forget to turn it off.

More importantly, it DOESN'T block out - the bedroom phone (in case of emergency), our sleep alarm, and our fire alarm.

And it cost $2.00 at a garage sale!

Callum
  4. sascha

sascha Member

i don't use it all the time, but it can be a great comfort- the sound doesn't vary- you're not hearing bad noise (news stations) or music choices you can't control. i use it to cover outside noises that bring me back wide awake when i want a nice deep sleep. sascha
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I started using during the summer a couple of years ago, and have kept on every night since. My hubby grumbles about the sound, but hey, I NEED it!!
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sounds as good as rain on a Tin Roof. But I know other
    people that are bothered and kept awake by that sound!
    Classical, mellow music is good too. Have used that to
    nap even when in High School and Koolidge! Very relaxing
    similar to doing yogurt.

Have a weekend that is GOOD!!
    MRDAD
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I have been using a fan since I was a child and got hubby hooked on it. Ruthie
  8. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I have been using a fan since I was a child and got hubby hooked on it. Ruthie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

I am hooked on it, I sleep much better. I've tried to get my DH to use it, but he won't as he always wants to be able to hear everything. And everything, even me turning over, will awaken him.

Right now I'm happy as I'm sleeping alone, lol, as he has to sleep in the bedrm next to his elderly Mom (has dementia, we're taking care of her)...

but I sure wish he'd use it to at least nap, his sleep study shows he doesn't fall into deep sleep until 5 AM even before his Mom came to live with us. I think it'd help him like it does me...

I love vacationing in cities where I can have the windows open, lolol, the sirens don't even bother me!

all the best,
    Victoria
  10. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I'm absalutely exhausted so i'll make this short

I get use to the fan during the summer, and fall asleep quicker. The constant noise of the fan (not too loud) gets me to sleep, instead of listening to the buzzing in my head, or tinitus type noise.

I'm still using it now as its getting colder and bundle up with extra covers.

works wonders

It just has to be a constant noise, and can't have random hisses or bumps or it wakes me up, The right fan is key .
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have been using it for years. air filter. and fans.

my son has to use a fan at night as well, it also turns on heat if he needs it.

homeopedic makes those white noise machines that make water waves, raining, and other noises. i have one but it just isn't what i am used to.

jodie
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I do this too!
  13. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Me too Me too !! haha
    Yes Marion .. I learned that trick ages ago .. it really helps!
    Joy : )
  14. dahopper

dahopper New Member

running in our bedroom at nights too...Can't sleep without it. :) Hugs, Love Debbie
  15. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

We use it all Summer and I have a waterfall that trinkles through the night,and yeah it took a few nights to stop running to the bathroom more then I already due because of the running water lol.I use a sound machine too.I can only sleep if it's on thunderstorm or rain showers.
  16. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Redwillow:

I do believe that you have found a way to create 'white noise'. And you are right: less expensive.

As for me I use styrofoam ear plugs. They drown everything out except for really loud sounds.

Good tip on the fan. White noise is really supposed to help.

nyrofan
  17. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My husband used a fan as white noise since childhood and now I can't sleep without it. We use both a fan and air purifier.
  18. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks everyone for the responses to my post. I thought with so many posts about how people couldn't sleep this might be the answer. Figure out what kind of white noise sends you off to la la land and stick with it!

If you have to have a fan when you visit the relatives then take it with you! Just like I carry my own special pillow. LOL

I wish I could get my husband to like it. He hates all noise, says it drives him nuts! In the summer time we have to turn the dehumidifier off in the basement because he says it keeps him awake!

So this is one of the many reasons I have had to move to my own room down the hall. I don't like it but I can't sleep through his snoring, and my son coming and going. I was waking up all night!

hugs everyone
    Redwillow
  19. padre

padre New Member

I use an air cleaner year-round. Also have white-noise machine to take on trips. (I wonder what airport security thinks.) My problem is that things are too quiet. I have ringing in my ears and without the machines that is all I hear.
  20. MsE

MsE New Member

I have an air filter gadget that has a fan that is just loud enough to be soothing. Also, I have a cute little gadget that will play babbling brook, ocean waves, rain, forest sounds, etc. The "rain" sound works best for me.