Fast heart rate anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, May 6, 2009.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I did so a search on this and found a few threads but I am curious how many
    of you have this along with your Fibro.

I had my first episode with this almost a year ago and went immediately to the
    doctor and they ran several tests and said everything was normal.

And by the time I got home it had gone away. They also checked my blood levels
    to make sure I wasn't anemic and of course everything came back normal.

It's only happened a few times in the past year and then it happened this morning. I
    ened up taking a nap after getting the kids to school and after several hours
    it went away again.

I will add this to the list to talk to my doctor about.

Anyone take any meds for this?

Thanks for listening.
    Take care, Susan
  2. amberlin

amberlin New Member

I know that this is really common among the folks I know diagnosed with CFS. I get it all the time, particularly when I am especially worn out, waking up or lying down to rest. I'm not taking anything for it other than adrenal fatigue supplements: vitamin B5 and licorice root.

Take care,
  3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

and it is not anxiety related, although that was brought up.

i was given a 24 holter moniter test, and it showed my heart skips beats, but "catches" up with itself.

once, when i was at the doctor's office it happened, and my pulse was going like 160 bpm, my doctor was in shock.

she ended up putting me on a beta-blocker (propananol), and it has helped alot. i don't get the sudden bursts of racy heart anymore.

i found information on Dysautonomia, and took it to my doctor, and she agreed that, that was what was going on.

look up dysautonomia, it will tell you how our sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems are all out of whack. i would try and explain here, but my fog will prevent me from explaining it well, so check it out.

my best to all of you, i know how frustrating all of this is.
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Happens to me alot

Especially bad in the mornings

I had blamed it on the Effexor, but now I am off of it, and it is still happening

Some days are worse than others
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

jinlee, amberlin, sweetbeatlvr, and empower it's good to know I'm not alone. The fast heart

rate and also the dizzy spells I get since getting fibro are the scariest to me.

The fast heart rate usually happens in the morning ,

although I do notice the dizzy spells other times of the day as well.

Sweetbeatlvr thanks for the tip on Dysautonomia~ I will look that up.

take care, Susan

6. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I have done it before and still do it on occassion. It was worse while I was pregnant for some reason. Even now, I'll have episodes where it'll feel like it's beating out of my chest. But of course, everything is "normal". I also have low blood pressure and dizziness "spells".
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

When I start to flare and the pain kicks in, I feel my old heart just a pounding away and then it goes back down when I get the pain under control. I have always had very low blood pressure but when I am in a flare my nurse says it kicks my blood pressure alot higher and henceforth the pounding that I am feeling. Before I had any fibro or thyroid problems, I used to have dizzy spells and the doc put me on mineclyzine or something like that and after three days it was gone. She said it was hormonal shifts. It makes you very tired though and you can't drive. p
  8. spacee

spacee Member

It caused me to be so weak I couldn't eat much and lost down to 108lbs. I would have spells that I could not get up at all...felt like a melted ice cube. Took quite a few docs to figure it out (I do wish they had a thingy for eye rolling here). Anyway, a bright infectious disease doc figured it out and put me on heart med to control it.

Hope you find help soon.

9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm going to look up how Dysautonomia and Postural orthostatic Tachycardia are similiar

and or different as related to the fast heart rate and dizzy spells.

I also need to buy a blood pressure cuff so I can monitor that as well.

take care and gentle hugs, Susan
  10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Mine was over 130 the other day, when I woke up from a nap.
    I hafta monitor my BP (gets too low) & the monitor has a heart rate thingy on it. The docs say "very interesting" but don't seem concerned.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Mine seems to be worse after I wake up

My blood pressure goes down, and heart rate goes up

I had a injection done about one month ago, and my heart rate went up, so doc (female) said she was going to give me the "spa treatment" She brought in a cold wash cloth spritzed with something from Bath and Body Works and within 1 minute, my heart rate was down - I was on a heart monitor, so I heard it go down

So I just tried it this morning (minus the spritz) and it did go down.

Also, I sat on my front stoop - something about sitting low and having your knees like that lowers the heart rate - just go slow getting up

What we have to go through, right??? I hate it
  12. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I bought a blood pressure cuff yesterday and I took a reading and my blood pressure was normal but my pulse was high~ this happened to be late afternoon, and I made sure I had been sitting for 15 minutes like the booklet suggested.

Then this morning I took it again and same thing~ darn fast heart rate, but blood pressure
    is good.

Empower the cold wash cloth sounds like something I need to try.

darn fibro~

Gentle hugs, Susan
  13. Jayna

Jayna New Member

from the sporting goods store. It was a bit of a hassle to get it set up (small print on the booklet, mostly - but only two buttons) but now it lets me know that my heart rate goes up around 20 beats per minute just from the effort of standing up, althought it drops half of that increase once I'm up and moving slowly around my house.

Also found out that any time my heart rate goes over 100 bpm for more than thirty seconds is when I start to feel sick and woozy. Normal for my age/weight is 110 bpm. Just another way CFS is invisibly abnormal, I guess.

I think this will help me figure out the mysteries of pacing myself more effectively. If I remember to put it on when I get up in the mornings...
  14. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i too have had my episodes of fast heart rates, they are really scary!! i usually have them when i get over heated or over do it. but sometimes they can wake me up. i had it happen just the other night. the first time i did it,i ran to the Dr, the ekg picked up a few abnormal blips, then more tests, they found a funky Mitral valve, put me on beta blockers. but that didnt work, cause i have really slow beats also, & the beta blockers made that worse.

so i just live with it, one thing that helps to get them to stop is sticking your head under a cold water fawcet, or get a cold wash rag & put it on the back of your neck.

i friend of mine thats a nurse for cardiac patients said thats what they do to patients in the hospital also, it's a temporary fix, but at least it stops for a while, i can't take it when it happens. It is very scary!!
    Good Luck
  15. italiano

italiano New Member

When I read your response I just, that's me. everything you said. good to know we have other life forms to relate to out there!