fast onset of severe fibro attack

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marykate8, Aug 17, 2005.

1. marykate8

marykate8 New Member

After having deep tissue massage late yesterday (which I needed very much) am having one of the worst fullblown attacks of fibro that I have had in months! My 800 mg of Motrin is not taking the edge off --- I went to bed mid-afternoon and awoke around 7pm feeling better but am now in such pain, I could literally scream! I hurt from top to bottom --- and earlier in the week, following a long driving trip to see family and take care of personal business, i had decided to see about temping again! But if I am going to start experiencing these attacks again with any frequency; I can't do that! Anyone have any suggestions!
    I have had fibro for 30 years and it seems the pain has begun to affect my entire body, not just the areas where it first began back in the 1970's.
  2. pgfnch2

pgfnch2 New Member

or ANY kind of massage ALWAYS makes me worse! It feels wonderful at the time, but the next day, I pay dearly ~ very, very high price! To me, as far as FM goes, the less touched, the better. I used to rub these knots until I would finally get them to break loose, and it was such a release..until later. A while back a friend massaged my neck, and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven! It was wonderful! The next day I couldn't turn my head. Literally.
    I do hope you feel better soon:)))
  3. marykate8

marykate8 New Member

I always drink as much water as possible --- even try to limit my intake of caffiene. Glad to hear that I am not alone in the level of pain after a massage. This was the first time in the 9 or so years that I have been getting massages to help with the pain. But on the other hand, it was also the first massage I had had in about 4 months, so that might be the cause as I had previously gotten them on a regular basis --- sometimes twice a week as part of physical therapy!
  4. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Marykate8: My brother-in-law is a PT and he and I were talking about fibro and how massage might help. He explained to me that with fibro patients it is very hard to achieve success because when you start working on one tender point that it seems to set off referred pain in another spot. It's like chasing it around the body. He said that we are not the type of patients he likes to work on because it begins to seem futile. Doesn't sound very promising.

Pam
  5. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

A therapist I once visited actually told me that any massage for FM sufferers needs to be very gentle - almost like just placing the hand over the area and pressing softly. She said that anything more than that could cause flares, and a LOT of pain afterward.

She suggested drinking a lot of water as well ...

Pretty generally, she just discouraged me from trying massage as a pain relief ... and since that pretty much talked her out of a "job" she was paid to do, I tended to believe her.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

And felt like I was going to die for about 5 days afterwards.
  7. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I haven't been around much this summer, we moved and I had a breast reduction a few weeks ago :)! I just came on to search on info about deep tissue massage and here you all were just talking about it!
    I haven't been able to turn my head to the left for about 5 weeks now and just started this week with some ultrasound and heat therapy. Well yesterday my treatment included a deep tissue massage of my shoulders and upper back. It hurt so badly I was actually doing the breathing from childbirth classes!
    Then last night I go to lay down in bed and it actually hurts to lie on my back (the only way I am allowed to sleep these days!). This morning the area is too painful to even touch.
    Definitely the last massage I will be doing. Has anyone found anything to help this pain?

Thanks,
    Sue
  8. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

This is usually recommended anyway by massage therapists. From what I understand, the massage releases toxins, and the toxins need to come out of your body. I've always been told to go home and have a very warm bath afterwards, with epsom salts.

I do that. Now I add the hydrogen peroxide to the bath as well, and it really helps.

Here's the recipe for the bath, with thanks as always to our moderator Shirl for sharing it with us.

3 cups epsom salts
    3 bottles drugstore-strength hydrogen peroxide

Add to a very warm bath and mix well. Soak for 20 minutes, no longer. Drink plenty of water before, during and after this bath. Get into bed immediately after as you will feel quite "floppy" and relaxed.

This bath takes a lot of my aches away, massage or no massage! Hope it works for you, too. Wishing you well,
    nature
  9. marykate8

marykate8 New Member

That really does sound like a very good solution and way to release all of the toxins! I know that every massage therapist I have seen in the past 8 years or so, has always handed me a bottle of water when I leave and told me to drink plenty, which I do! But the warm bath is another great suggestion. Now, how do I get the energy to really clean the tub?????
  10. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

All a deep tissue massage does is unleash all the phosphate acid into your body so it can redeposit. Thus, the increase in severe pain. Kind of like pouring gasoline on a fire.

There is something to Dr St Amand's theory but I think it is more of a symptom than the cause.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is more to FMS than just what Dr. St. Amand theorizes. I think it is fruitless to have the lumps massaged for the very reason you point out. If Dr. St. A is right, all that phosphate debris is put back into the bloodstream where it has nowhere to go and is simply redeopistied in tissue which is already sore from the massage the having the phosphate crystals broken up.

No deep tissue massage for me.

Love, Mikie
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My trigger points are so sore and the OT I am going to for my arthritis and tendonitus recommended a therapist work on me. He really hit the sore spots, but last night I was wiped out. I hurt all over, and today I'm not much better. He just finds the tight trigger points and puts pressure on them until they release tension. It helped my arms, etc.

But it does hurt today. Going to rub down with 024 and take it easy. I had a deep tissue massage last year, and I thought I'd die for about a week afterward. AWFUL! But, this is different.

Anyone else had this? How did it affect you?

Sue
  13. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I was just diagnosed this past week but have been suffering for the past 7 years. I have always had the PT work them out. I went back yesterday to a PT that knows about FM and he was the one that told me that they were actually called trigger points.

He started with ulta-sound and moist heat and then gentle massage to get rid of them. He warned me that it will hurt more before it gets better - I have found this in the past but didn't know why. He said it usually takes a couple treatments before they go away.

I guess I do it because I have always been in sports and do not know of any other way to get rid of them but to work them out.

Kelly
  14. marykate8

marykate8 New Member

I have just spent sometime emailing a friend and former co-worker who is a massage therapist. During the years we were co-workers, she would sometimes walk over to my desk and get rid of the knots I would develop as result of days spent on the computer and telephone. I am seriously thinking of making an appointment to see her for a massage which would not be deep tissue. I do know that sometimes the pain can be excruciating but most of my experiences (except for the one earlier this month) have been very relaxing! I think that I now know I should probably have them on a more regular basis than I have had in the past 6 months or so.
  15. LilLight

LilLight New Member

I'm surprised that they didn't forewarn you of the onset pain at first. Deep tissue massage is good for you because it's kind of like getting deep into the cobwebs of pain, and clearing them out. At first you'll experience pain but it should help you afterwards. I recommend some light stretching...some deep breathing and maybe a soak in some bath water, not too hot or too cold, but just right. Again, stretching, basic stretching really helps. If you can stand up, hang your body over and let your arms dangle. That may seem strange at first but it's stretching your spinal cord, lower/upper torso, plus it's stretching your legs and arms while they dangle.

God bless you and yours!

Lil Light

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Phil 4:13
  16. marykate8

marykate8 New Member

Thanks, Lilite! You just reminded me of another reason the deep tissue was not a problem in the past --- I always got it as part of physical therapy and would often go back to doing some of my exercises after the massage! Will try the stretching!!!
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

People with FMS have tender points; people with myofacial pain syndrome (MPS) have trigger points. They are not the same thing. Breaking up the knots in trigger points is helpful. Doing this to a tender point will usually cause more pain and the debris will return to the tender point in a short period of time.

FMS and MPS are totally different conditions and require different treatments. A really good physical therapist will know the difference and how to perform the massage.

I had MPS following an auto accident and the deep massage was helpful for that. That was prior to the FMS and the tender points. I do not believe that deep massage is helpful for FMS tender points. Any relief is temporary at best.

The TENS people who make the little electronic machines for chronic pain also make a unit for tender points. Several years ago, it was called a TENS 600 or TENS 6000; I can't remember which. It was like a little gun which fired a healing wave of electricity into the tender points. Some were getting good results with that. Other microcurrent treatments have also been helpful.

One of the reasons the Guai is such a good treatment is that it permanently shrinks the tender points, as long as the Guai is taken. It allows the body to excrete the phosphate debris through the kidneys instead of the bloodstream's depositing it in the body's soft tissue. This is according to Dr. St. Amand's theory. I believe the Guai works on several levels in addition to this. What matters is that for most who follow the protocol, it works. When it works, it reverses the symptoms of FMS.

Love, Mikie