Fast SSDI decision Denied in just 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Jun 17, 2006.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

That was the first round...and I felt really positive about my chances up until I got the denial letter just now. *sigh*

"We have determined that your condition is not severe enough to keep you from working." "Although you have stated you have these conditions, the evidence does not show that your ability to perform basic work activities is as limited as you indicated." "Your overall medical condition may cause some restrictions...this condition does not prevent you from doing that work (a job in college as a lab instructor)"

I wish the *person* who reviewed my information would come here and follow me around for a week. Just makes me so angry. They have no idea how limited I am just from medical test results. :-(

I guess it was to be expected.

Should I consider getting an attorney for the appeal? How much do they usually get?

Any recommendations? (I'm in SE Texas)

Thanks for the support and any advice.

Sylvia
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I completely understand your frustration and anger, attempting to get SSDI can make you feel that way. But don't give up!
    The letter you received is standard and practically identical to the first one I received. It was certainly a blow to me when I received it and it really insulted me but the second denial letter is even more insulting! It is purposeful so people will give up.

I think you should contact a lawyer immediately to file your appeal. You only have a certain amount of time so don't delay even though you may feel defeated right now. An attorney who handles your case has a specific fee which is determined by the SSA. The attorney does not receive the money until you win your case and receives nothing (except any fees incurred on your behalf such as copy fees, postage, etc) if you lose. Go to the SSA.gov website for further details about lawyer fees and how to start your appeal.

It took me about 18 months and required me to go before an ALJ but I did win my case.

Good Luck
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  3. vbrown

vbrown New Member

I just filed for first time yesterday. I have fought this for three years, and every year I'm out on STD for several months, try to go back and out again. I have fibro, osteoarthritis, RA and degenerative disc disease. I can barely get around most days and am constantly afraid of going out, afraid I'll fall or get mugged as I can't move very fast. I'm luck as my husband is drawing ss and still working. Bless his heart, I know at 66 he would like to retire one day. I'm sure I will get turned down the first time but am expecting that. Hang in there, be sure to file your appeal because I'm sure you will finally succeed!!
  4. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

for all your advice and support. It does mean a lot. I think I was not mentally prepared to be turned down, dumb as that sounds.

I've decided that first thing Monday morning, I am going to get started on the appeal process by finding a lawyer to handle it for me.

Does anyone know a good one? I am in SE Texas.

Thanks
    Sylvia
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Everyone is pretty much right about the letters. I was turned down the first time, no atty, hired one, told him I had more medical condtions and tests to send, I would get them in a few days. I called with them a couple days later and the sec said my file was already refiled without the new info. I had been place on oxygen.

I fired him, called a therapist that knew me thru my mother and her treatment. I asked for a evaluation since he knew my history he agreed. He knew how sick I was and doesn't do it very often. I paid for it but it was the best investment I made. I won my appeal. No atty no judge. I was 47 years old and work consistantly for 30 years in corporate setting.

You need good Dr and documentation, have you seen a counsler of any kind you can go to. The one BIG problem with lawyers, the longer it takes to win the case, the more they make. They get usually 25% of your back pay.

Be careful and ask for references- I wish you luck- don't give up, but verify before yo sign anything. Carla

BTW- I did look at your site, very nice jewerly!
  6. paige51

paige51 New Member

Be thankful that you got a fast response even though it was a denial. Now you can go ahead and get a lawyer to get the ball rolling.

make sure you get a reference from someone, it is very important. I refiled my application in april and was told to call ss if I do not get an answer in four months. trust me, you got a good deal even though it does not seem like it to you at this time.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE , get a reference from someone who has been through the process already.

best of luck to you and me both. keep us posted.

paige51
  7. Hera

Hera New Member

I agree w/ everyone. I got SSDI 15 yrs ago. At that time Fibro and the like were still new. I was denied 1st time. Then hired lawyer on the 25% contigency rate. Lawyer used to work for SS so he knew the system. I got his name from a pyschotherapist in a clinic at Univ. of Cinti. I was told that just having physical imapairments wasn't enough to qualify. Luckily (but not really) the cognitive & emotional impairments because of this disease helped me win my case. It's helpful to have a detailed "list" of your typical day. Document everything. You will be challenged to "prove" you're illness. A good lawyer will know this. fmnetnews.com is an excellent resource & referral network for Fibro & CFS. Keep fighting!!! Fibro is a dibilitating disease and you deserve to be compensated by our gov't. When you win you'll be elligible for Medicare too. Keep moving forward..Hera
  8. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer New Member

HI SYLVIA,

I FIGURED I'D GIVE YOU A LITTLE ADVICE " DON'T GIVE UP "
    THE IDIOTS THAT ARE READING YOUR INFORMATION HAVE NO IDEA WHAT EMPATHY IS, AND THEY GET PAID TO DENY!
    I APPLIED THREE TIMES, AND THREE TIMES THEY SAID NO, NO WAY, AND NO, NO, NO,.
    I THEN HIRED AN ATTORNEY, THE PROCESS WAS LONG AND DEPRESSION SET IN. BUT THE AWARD LETTER WAS WORTH IT.
    WHEN I WENT IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE ALL THE BITCH DID WAS BASICALLY BE-LITTLE ME. I WAS IN TEARS, THEN I GOT PISSED OFF.
    THEY WAITED IT OUT TILL THE LAST SECOND - * BUT I WON *
    HOWEVER, $751.00 A MONTH IS A BIG CHANGE WHEN YOUR USED TO MAKING DOUBLE THAT A MONTH.
    I'VE HEP C, AND IT'S A CRUEL DISEASE.
    DO A LOT OF PRAYING.

DAWN IN OKLAHOMA.

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  9. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

That sure was a fast denial. I'm sorry you were denied. Are you going to hire an attorney? I applied back in November and am still awaiting a decision. I hope you are approved this time.