"Fat Flush" anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darlamk, Feb 11, 2003.

1. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I've started the Fat Flush Plan this week and I am curious to know if anyone here has tried it. I'm gonna shape up this liver if I can!!
    Darla
  2. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

and followed it to a "T," even using her recipes. It was the MOST miserable experience on a diet I have had. I felt absolutely AWFUL during it. I didn't crave anything, I have to admit, but it might be because the food nauseated me so much I had no desire to eat.

There are certain aspects of the diet that I found interesting. I have taken bits and pieces of information from different diets, including this one, and incorporated them into my daily life. I even recommended this book to my dr., because of some of the information she provided, and NOT because I thought it was a diet I would follow 100% again.

My dr. told me she had been on it a week or so, when I last spoke to her, and that she felt great. However, she said she wasn't doing like me: she was taking bits and pieces from it, like the amount of protein to have, the drink mix, and a supplement or two. She said that she was using salt and pepper, as well as olive oil (and said probably even more oil than she had used in the past).

I think the worst part for me was lack of salt. I had horrible headaches, like I get when I eat too many carbs. I know it wasn't the carbs, because I ate only the low glycemic ones she suggested, with plenty of protein. I really believe it was the lack of salt that caused my headaches.

I don't use a lot of salt to begin with, so its not like I really needed to cut down. Plus, Shirl has often recommended a site for headaches (water cure) that suggests using salt in water to prevent them. So, that kinda made me think it was the lack of salt that was triggering my headaches.

Also, there was too little fat in the diet. She recommended flaxseed oil, which is fine, but it does NOTHING for my depression. I stopped taking fish oil, which DOES help with it, and started getting depressed again. In fact, I had stopped all supplements (and I was taking a LOT) to follow her recommended supplements. Overall, I felt worse than I did before I started the diet. But, I was eating very healthy before, so that might not be the norm for most people. (I wasn't eating sugar, refined carbohydrates, caffeine, etc.(

I think this week of so little fat affectd me horribly, as far as my gallbladder goes. I noticed that when I got off it, I couldn't stomach foods I had been able to stomach before: fried mozzarella, fried eggplant, sauteed fennel. Out of ignorance I thought my body was telling me it had a taste of an almost fat-free life and wanted to return to that.

When I told my dr. about this, she told me it was just the opposite. She said that a fat-free diet will negatively affect the gallbladder, and explained in detail why. Since then I have had ongoing gallbladder problems, to the point that I had to go to the ER 2 weeks ago, for pain. I'm not saying the diet is solely responsible for my gallbladder problems (since I probably had stones before I started), but I do think it added to the situation.

After I got home from the ER I had another attack. So, I doctored myself with epson salts and lemon juice. The next day I did a gallbladder flush and passed hundreds of stones. I am repeating that flush today.

BTW, they checked my liver at the hospital and it was beautiful. Normally, the liver is not so good when there are gallbladder problems, but I think the liver supplements I've taken had a lot to do with that. Afterall, I took about 4 months of Sporanox (200 mgs/day) and should have had bad liver test results.

Hope this helps, and doesn't discourage you,
    Annette
  3. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I've been having headaches too but I don't know if it's completely from the diet or the water aroebics I've recently started (some postitions are hard on my neck)I can not believe how bad all this flax stuff tastes but I am hanging in there! I have been craving carbs and caffiene -I probably should have weaned off them longer before I started the diet. My husband and I are going to Mexico in March so I am determined to get a few pounds off before. I appreciate your comments and hope I have better luck than you did with this. I do not have a gallbladder so maybe that is a good thing!:) My darn esophagus is starting to spasm more & I wonder if it's from the cran water. Thanks again for posting.
    Take care,
    Darla
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I was considering Suzanne Sommers diet but it
    is SO expensive to get everything and I just
    didn't do it. I never heard of this diet. Will
    you please share? Hugs, Bambi
  5. nje

nje New Member

SEIOUSLY RIGHT AFTER I WAS DIAGNOSED FOR FIBROMYALGIA,AND STARTED ON MEDS,6 MONTHS AGO, I LOST 20 LBS,IN ABOUT A MONTHS TIME,I ALSO HAVE BAD NERVES&ANXIETY ATTACKS,WHICH HAVE GOTTEN A LOT WORSE SINCE I`VE GOT FIBRO.I CAN NOW GET BACK IN MY CLOTHES FROM WHERE I HAD GAINED WEIGHT LAST YEAR. I HAVE NO APPETITE,AT ALL,I FORCE MYSELF TO EAT,NOW I DRINK A LOT OF FLUIDS,BECAUSE MY MOUTH FEELS PARCHED ALL THE TIME. I LOVE YOO,HOOS,SOMEDAYS I DRINK A FEW OF THEM AND NOTHING ELSE,DON`T EVEN LIKE DESSERTS,USE TO CRAVE THEM, EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE HAS CHANGED SINCE I GOT THIS DISEASE. BUT HASN`T EVERYBODYS? GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DIET. NJE- JEAN
  6. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hi NJE,

Just curious why the loss for appetite? Wondering if this happens to a lot of FM patients? If anything, I am hungry :) Wondering what meds you take, (if you don't mind sharing)- possibly they might decrease your appetite as a side effect. I used to be on certain meds that totally decreased my appetite like effexor and I lost sooooo much weight. The effexor actually brought on more anxiety and panic attacks - whatever you are doing, take care and best of luck to you - thanks.

lume

7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

People who have no gallbladder generally don't have one because it was problematic and removed. Its my opinion that these people should be more concerned about their livers than those of us who DO have gallbladders. So, please don't rest easy, thinking you are immune from problems.

In Chinese medicine, the gallbladder and the liver are kind of like partners. When one is weak, you treat it as well as the other....they are said to be "complimentary." So, its no surprise that modern day medicine checks the liver when there are gallbladder problems. However, I don't think they address it quite the same way as Chinese medicine...they simply remove the darn thing (slash and burn mentality) and make you think your worries are over.

Please go to the curezone website and read on gallbladder/liver cleanses. It will elaborate a little more on why the liver is affected with or without a gallbladder.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

The Fat Flush Plan is no less expensive that Suzanne Somers' diet. You can make either one as expensive or as inexpensive as you want. I found I spent more on the Fat Flus Plan, than I did on Suzanne Somers. I think the reason was a combination of things: I had to purchase supplements I didn't already have (Suzanne Somers doesn't require supplements) and I had to purchase a lot of different foods. When you purchase whole, healthy foods, they do cost more than processed foods like hamburger helper or kraft macaroni and cheese, for instance. But, it shouldn't even be an option since your health is more important than anything else.

Hope this helps,
    Annette