Fat Neck/Puffy Face Appearance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fidette, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Fidette

Fidette New Member

Has anyone out there taking antidepressants gained allot of weight in their neck and facial region? I see myself in pics and it looks like my head is huge and my face is jawless. My cheeks look fat too. I have gained about 35lbs, but am tall, so I can hide the weight easily, EXCEPT in my face and neck. I was petrified when I saw myself in pics recently!!! My neck looks wide. It appears to run from my chin to my chest with NO definition! EEeek!

I am wondering if anyone else is having to suffer with this "look"? I am wondering if it is the meds, changing hormones (I am in my early 40's), Fibro, or all of the above. Anyway, I hate seeing myself anymore. I look like a freak I think. Imagine, I once used to model. It's not like you can do sit-ups with your face and neck yah know! Help! Fidette
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

. . . any other meds? I know steroids can do that to you.

I gained weight years ago when they gave me amyltriptolene and had trouble losing when I was on zoloft. But I didn't notice that it was concentrated in my neck and face.

3. kalaya

kalaya New Member

fluid retention,but I realise the entirety of the 35lbs is not water weight gain although some meds can cause fluid retention in the face and this is called oreo facial something.I am sorry but I forget the last word in the title.As far as the weight gain from the anti D I will pass a bit of advice along to you that you may wish to act on.

My uncle is one of the top psychiatrists in the U.S.A and he explained to me that vertually all anti depressants willcause weight gain with the exception of Wellbutrin or 2 older anti D's called Protriptaline and Desipramine.He mentioned that Protryptaline can help with energy as well.

Don't know if this is of any help to you at all but I do understand how medication side effects can be a real brain drain.Good luck.
  4. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I know that antidepressants can make a person fatter than
    fat! Also adrenal disorders such as Cushing's syndrome
    can give a person a thick neck and face. Perhaps you might
    want to check this out with a doctor.

5. Fidette

Fidette New Member

Kayala, I think I spelled that right, and others, thanks for the input. Some things to consider definately. I do take Paxil CR, but in the smallest available dose, once daily. I have heard of Wellbutrin doing swell for many people. As far as the Cushings syndrome goes...I will check that out on the internet and see if I have any of the other symptoms (if there are any) and what the probable causes are and if they fit me. Again, thanks to all of you! Fide
  6. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

My daughter has CFS. The first year of her illness her face and neck would always get puffy. She is petite so it was very noticable. Others would ask me if I noticed this. She is and was not taking any antidepressants. I have read this can happen with CFS I don't know if the same is true with fibro.
  7. matn

matn New Member

I did not take any antidepressants or any other drugs but I experienced the neck and facial swelling as well when I had CFS. I believe your lymphatic system is trying to eliminate the toxins in your body and it does this by increasing fluid to these areas. My swelling disappeared when I changed what I consumed (see my profile). There are many hidden toxins in our food and water supply as well as certain food groups that are promoted as healthy but are really harmful for most. I have terrible reactions to drug, supplements, vitamins and most of the foods that are commercially available today. I believe this is not a disorder, but rather a wakeup call that your body is trying to deal with a toxic assault. Physicians have a way of blaming these symptoms as disorders, but I think the body is only trying to repair itself. Western medicine does little to get to the root cause of the problem.
  8. namow

namow New Member

I had noticed that problem with me but I thought it was JUST me, so now I am intrigued if it is the AD, I take lexapro (very low dose) or what else, please people help us get an answer fo this one!
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I have gained about 50 pounds since my accident/fibro. My face does seem especially puffy some days and others have noticed. I also take Lexapro but I'm not sure exactly what causes it. Maybe a combo of all the meds I take or the Fibro.
  10. tilla

tilla New Member

I have gained a lot of weight from antidepressants but last summer I noticed I looked horrible in pictures - fat face. I switched from Effexor to Wellbutrin and I have had so many people ask me if I have lost weight. I am afraid to weigh myself but I know my face must be a lot thinner.

I plan to try new drug cymbalta, hope it gives the same effect as Wellbutrin.

11. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have gained a tremendous amount of weight and am on Effexor and my face is grotesque. Some people keep their face when they gain weight, but I definitely am not one of them.

However, adrenal malfunction can definitely make one's face swell, as well as the neck and the back of the neck.

Ask your doctor about it next time you visit. Sometimes, they can't see the forest for the trees.
  12. Fidette

Fidette New Member

CFS? So many of you have mentioned it, and I have no clue. Feel stupid! I did look up Cushings, and read about adrenal issues. Some of the characteristics fit me, but not all. I suppose it is that way with many diseases (arrgh) though and that's why they can be so difficult to pinpoint. I do not have that hump of fat on the back of my neck that many of you as well as the web site has mentioned, but I do have that extended stomach. Looks like I am pregnant! Terrible! I used to always have flat abs until i hit my mid 30's and started taking antidepressants. I have had klonopin, effexor, zoloft, and am now on Paxil. Tried to quit many times, but had severe behavior/and physical withdrawels. Now, to boot, I have a football players neck that won't go away, look 7 months pregnant, and have a fat face. Gees, what a person must go through just to feel better makes them end up feeling worse in the long run! Ain't modern medicine wonderful?! Fidette
  13. Fidette

Fidette New Member

want to try cymbalta if the Wellbutrin is working okay for you? Just how much weight have you lost while on Wellbutrin? Alot? Are you having unpleasant side effects with the Wellbutrin? Is it a costly Rx? Thanks, Fidette
  14. Fidette

Fidette New Member

Bumpety Bump
  15. tilla

tilla New Member

Wellbutrin does not cover all the antidepressant conditions. Cymbalta is for depression and for pain. I like the idea of no side effects. I am afraid to weigh myself as I don't want to be disappointed but from reading posts Wellbutrin does seem to help with weightloss.

Just read post saying Wellbutrin may cause hair loss. I don't know if I want that. I asked my pharmace and it seems Cymbalta may be cheaper than the Wellbutrin. I am suppose to take Lexapro along with the Wellbutrin, which is an extra expense.

16. Fidette

Fidette New Member

Okay Tilla, thanks. I understand! :<) Fidette
  17. hangin-in

hangin-in New Member

Hi Fidette,
    I have the very same problem, and hate to see pictures of myself. I got off Paxil within the last two months. I have been on prednisone for rhematoid arthritis, and I am now finally down to .25 every other day. Have been on since 1997, so I expect it will take some time to improve if it ever will. I also have fibro which is more painful, but nothing works for it. I am on Mevacor and just started Humira injecttions, don't know of their part in this. I also have swollen neck in front and back, where the pain is terrible.
    I don't want to see ANY more pics of me!
  18. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I was reading that a puffy face can go along with some thyroid conditions. This would be an easy thing to get checked out, too.

19. bakron

bakron New Member

And, I know what you mean when you say you were petrified when you looked in the mirror and saw yourself. I've had that reaction since my diagnosis and starting on Celexa. I've gained about 50 lbs and it's very noticeable in my face and neck. I've noticed a "roll" at the back of my neck lately.

I avoid having my picture taken and dread going to places that require me to "dress up." This whole area is one of the most difficult that I've had to deal with, and if I knew that it would not increase my pain, I would stop the Celexa!

I've really started to work at making better diet choices and cutting calories, etc. . . however, with the medication, I have indigestion if it's empty! I'd like to be off all my meds and get totally back to my normal petite self (5' 2"); will I ever be able to?
  20. Fidette

Fidette New Member

Gees, It's almost kinda scary reading about everyone who is walking around just like me. It is comforting in a way (to know that others are having the same issues and that I'm not a freak!), but at the same time worries me greatly! What is going on here?

It is obviously medication related as most of us are taking a similiar class of antidepressants....the lable(s) say "weight gain possible" in the listing of side effects, but what is it with the neck and facial zone, and why are so many of us gaining there especially??! My face isn't really puffy per se as much as it just looks fat/Full. There is no edema or swelling. The neck has NO definition. It's as if I have no jaw-line! Eeeek. I do not think it's thyroid as i've had that tested too many times in the past and it has always been normal. My doc tested it when i said I was tired, thirsty, using the bathroom frequently, and gaining weight.