fatigue and diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missboo, Nov 13, 2002.

1. missboo

missboo New Member

My doctor diagnosed me with fm yesterday, but didn't offer much advice. can anyone offer suggestions to deal with the fatigue? When i'm driving, i often feel like i want to pull over and curl up & sleep.
    I appreciated all the advice on my last message - I had always wondered if i was a hypochondriac because i had all these symptoms and was taking all this medicine. it's so great to know there are people out there who understand. i thought i was just getting old at 39, especially when i was on my way to the doctor's office yesterday and halfway there forgot where i was going!
    missboo.
  2. missboo

missboo New Member

My doctor diagnosed me with fm yesterday, but didn't offer much advice. can anyone offer suggestions to deal with the fatigue? When i'm driving, i often feel like i want to pull over and curl up & sleep.
    I appreciated all the advice on my last message - I had always wondered if i was a hypochondriac because i had all these symptoms and was taking all this medicine. it's so great to know there are people out there who understand. i thought i was just getting old at 39, especially when i was on my way to the doctor's office yesterday and halfway there forgot where i was going!
    missboo.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sorry to hear you were diagnosed with FM, but now you know what you are facing, and it does have a name. I used to think I was nuts with all these symptoms too. I was darn glad to find out it at least had a name!

As for the fatigue, mine is not as bad as you are describing, it usually just last a few days thank God!

Its the people with CFS that have the fatigue so badly.

There are a few supplements that do help, but the only thing I take personally, is Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and B-6). Also a good B-Complex does help too.

Others will share what they are taking too.

I understand exercise does help, but I can't do much more than walk.

It sounds like you are having Fibro Fog along with the fatigue, which makes you forget were you are or what you are doing!

Do you drink water? I know this sounds foolish, but we should drink half our body weight in ounces of water a day, along with a quarter teaspoon of sea salt through out the day.

The water and salt along with the supplements have helped me a great deal with the fog.

I sure hope you find what helps you. We are all so different with this illness. What works for some, does not always work for others.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Use a search engine and type in "FM diet." One of the first sites you should see has a nice list of foods to avoid, to give yourself the best possible chance at feeling well. Of course as time goes by, you will read more and more about what foods you should and shouldn't eat, but this is a good starting point.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  5. missboo

missboo New Member

I searched fm diet and found the info you were talking about - thank you very much. It looks like it will be very helpful!
  6. fifty1ford

fifty1ford New Member

missboo,

For me and everyone with FMS and CFIDS are a little different, but I have made a direct connection with eating foods with processed sugars and increased fatigue. Since I eliminated anything with processed sugars including corn syrup and such, the big bouts of fatigue do not ocurr anymore. I have experimented by eating foods with processed sugars to see what happens, and sure enough the fatigue becomes an issue again.

The really good thing about eliminating these foods (it is very hard and takes a tremendous amount of will power), is that you loose those extra pounds. It is also very important when you do this that you do something like Tai Chi to maintain muscle tone. I hope this helps.

fifty1ford

[ advertisement ]