Fatigue and heavy weakness in arms and legs.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sandygirl6126, May 5, 2005.

1. sandygirl6126

sandygirl6126 New Member

I suffer with great weakness in my arms and legs. They feel like they are filled with lead. Feeling so heavy and useless.Does anyone else have this problem?
  2. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Oh, my Yes!

This was one of my first CFIDS symptoms, and my doctor says it is very, very common. It's an awful feeling, isn't it? I went through a period where it was a constant kind of thing, but it hasn't been an everyday thing anymore. I am having a spell of it lately, and I hate it. It makes me feel even more fatigued, and walking or combing my hair or getting dressed or anything, really, is so much harder and really makes me feel a lot worse a lot faster than normal.

You are not alone on this, I assure you. My GP couldn't understand it when I tried to explain it to her--to me, I kind of describe it as "my muscles feel so, so heavy--like they are dead." My limbs just lay there like useless blobs of flesh; I am not paralyzed (I could move if I had to), but it almost feels that way--like it would take way more strength than I have to lift my arm or move my legs. My CFIDS doctor immediately recognized what I was talking about.

Sometimes, my legs shake when I walk and when I go downstairs, and sometimes I trip because I don't pick up my feet enough. Also, I have an odd sensation in my muscles when I feel like this--almost like the feeling you get in your body when you sneeze. Does that make sense?

Take care,
    Nicole
  3. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Sandygirl and I aren't the only ones with this, are we?

Anyone else want to share?
    Nicole
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

My arms are so weak that I have to rest them while brushing my teeth. Now that is sad. I just dont have the strength to finish w/o stopping and resting. I am only 27 and feel like 90 years old. My legs are the same way. To walk up stairs is just exhausting. I wish I knew why this was. Even to brush my hair I have to take rests...so you are not alone.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I used to describe it as feeling like cinder blocks attached to my feet or hands. Just too, too heavy.
  6. saraebeth

saraebeth New Member

I have that same problem some times too. They feel so heavy I can hardly hold the hair dryer to dry my hair in the morning and I have to sit down o do it. Today I actually just pulled my hair up in a ponytail because it was so bad. I feel like dead weight today and I'm counting the minutes till I can dismiss my class at 2:12! I'm soooooooooooo glad its Friday and even happier that there are only 6 weeks of school left!

Sara
  7. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I too suffer with this problem. Do you have CFS or Fibro. I have CFS.

Andrea
  8. desertfog

desertfog New Member

I had this a lot the first 1-2 years of the illness. It eventually went away. I used to hate it when I'd wake up that way and could not lift anything to get out of bed.

Like I said in another post about this subject, good thing I have an iron bladder!

I hope in time these symptoms will stop for you, too.
  9. darude

darude New Member

Mainly in the legs and they get very weak. Ya feel like lead and stairs ar becocming impossible
  10. Emily22

Emily22 New Member

I hate it. I shuffle along like a little old lady and i seriously have to think and force each leg in front of each other. Anything, brushing teeth, brushing hair, washing hair, anything is soooo much effort. So glad I'm nto the only one.
  11. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I get this too. So tired, weak and shaky.
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

That is until my arms get too tired.cfids nicole-i know the feeling in your legs-its like they are going to jerk or do something and they don't
  13. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

OH yeah! I am having those problem. I tried to explained to dr about the symptoms. I didn't experience the weakness until a month after gave birth to my daughter which is few years ago. It seems to be progessive now. I still struggling to use stairs and i always used elevators becuase i didn't want to struggling it. It is like I am working to hard, and it set my heart raced. ONe time it even record (during honiter moniter test) 180 when I just simply walk slowly on the stair. That gives you idea how struggle I was. I am too often find myself trip over little things and fell.. I am glad to know that I am not alone in this. The dr is dx me with FM, not CFS. The first dr was dx me with FM AND CFS But... He transferred to Hawaii and never bother to tell other dr or give me other dr for my cfs... So, i had to go through routies all over again. I think he dx me with CFS since my ebv level is high and I have symptoms for it.
  14. jana15

jana15 New Member

I really hate it.

I find I can remain positive most of the time but now the 'dead weight' feeling and pain in my arms and legs intrudes my sleep and dreams.

I can't believe it!

Now I can't even escape it in my dreams as even if I am able to manage to continue sleeping, I seem to incorporate it into my dreams. So I no longer have those beautiful dreams where I'm pain free and can fly like a butterfly.

Cheers Jana
  15. wickett

wickett New Member

I have a crumby back! I had surgery and 3 disc removed. Did well for a while. Had to have a rib removed, artery was caught and it was doing damage. Wrist operated on 3 times gangling cyst, large veins removed in my left leg, scalenectomy (muscle removed from neck),Hysterectomy. OF course this was a period of years.....I was working getting out at 2:30 and had trouble staying awake on the 30 minute drive home. I finally could not get up our stairs, fell down the stairs, memory problems, got on a disability thru work. Now get my SSI. It took me four years. MY LEGS WERE SO TIRED,MY SISTER WOULD COME OVER & COMB MY HAIR. SAME THING EVERYTHING WAS SO DIFFICULT, DEPRESSION. I have Fibro/cfs Back-Stenosis,scolosis w/a 40%twist,lordosis,Advance degenerative disc disease. I try to pace myself, but if I go to the grocery store, that makes a day for me! So it's not just you....Hope you feel better soon....This is such a overwhelming condition.

16. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Sandygirl:

I can identify with you. Heaviness in the arms and legs is a terrible feeling. It sure does feel like they are filled with lead. I have that from time to time.

But honey please don't feel useless, you are you no matter how your body responds. It is something that we all go through. Some more than others, so when you feel like that rest and if you like to read do so, watch movies and do as much as your body will let you.

I don't have a cure nor an answer Sandygirl, all I can do is offer you some comfort and an ear to listen to you vent.

I will be praying that your energy gets back to as normal as possible real soon.

God Bless you.

Soft hugs,
    Francey
  17. silky17

silky17 New Member

Sandygirl6126,

Silky here, like I said I give thanks for all the questions........! I sometimes forget the week feelings I have and had at the start of my illness.I question my attemps to get on disability. When I finally went on FMLA at work, that's when the weakness and flu like symptoms had plaqued me over a couple of years. I was thinking why am I always sick? What is wrong?

I then found out that I had Fibro and CFS, along with a few other afflictions.It was scary and I know how you feel. The reason I say that I give thanks is because I question myself thinking this. Is it just because I am getting older? And when I read all the responses, I feel better. There are young and older people struggling with this life grabbing crap.

Like I always say "thank God" for this message board, or I would STILL be lost. Just to let you know, I am still working at getting SSI or SSDI. I pray it is SSDI. I couldn't make it on SSI.

You are not alone and thank goodness we all found each other.The most amazing thing is we will never meet. But all of us send the best thoughts all around.

God bless you,
    Silky
  18. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, me too! Fatigue is overwhelming and arms & legs are made of cement.
    H
  19. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Yes. If I forced myself I could actually lift something, but it felt like I could barely lift the weight of my own arm!! I would just lie there thinking the weakness was so bad that I was going to just fade away into a never ending sleep somedays. I used to be a very strong person, especially for a woman. I enjoyed feeling strong and moving my furniture around and moving heavy boxes. Now, I can't do that as much, and if I do the exhertion takes its toll quickly. There's nothing worse for me than feeling uselss which is what I've come to feel like most of the time. Even though at present my CFIDS symptoms haven't been at their worst, it still requires pacing on my part to make sure the basic necessities get done around the house. This is the part of CFIDS that I think feels most like the "flu symptoms" they talk about.

Take care.

Heidi
  20. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

were the worst. The hardest thing was trying to take a shower while struggling to walk and hold myself up at the same time. Just awful heaviness and pain from RSD/CRPS and FM. It's not as bad now because I can get around more but have to get home and sit or lay down. Feels like I am dragging heavy weights along. It's exhausting. Sandygirl, your describing it as "...filled with lead..." is right on.