fatigue fatigue fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbmesu, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cbmesu

cbmesu New Member

hello,
    im 21 and was just diagnosed with cfs and fibromyalgia. i just need advice on how to get energy. my doctor recommended mailic acid. is there any recomendations on how to make the fatigue better?
    - tired
  2. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

Welcome to the club. :eek:) The only thing that I have found that helps with my fatigue is medication. I am on 25 mg-sr of Adderal in the a.m. and 10 in the afternoon. I am NOT hyperactive (this is ADHD medication), but my doc gave it to me for fatigue and brain fog. It is wonderful. I was on Provigil and it was the best, but then my insurance decided that they wouldnt pay for it....stupid insurance companies. Anyway, ask your doc about meds that will pep you up a bit.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your doctor is right, malic acid can help with energy. It's often recommended that you take magnesium with it, I don't know how it works, but this combination helps a lot of people.

A good book is "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Jacob Teitelbaum. He discusses so many different causes of fatigue. It's well worth reading.

There are many other things you can read about which might help: amino acid l-carnitine (or acetyl-l-carnitine - both are good, but acetyl-l-carnitine is better); NADH; have your adrenals and your thyroid checked -- if either is weak, there are supplements which can help. Read about the thyroid because often it tests normal, but a person's symptoms may indicate otherwise.

There's too much to summarize here. Also, do a search on the board for "energy" -- there have been many posts telling what people do that helps them. And if possible, read the book above -- it's a very good starting point.

Mary
  4. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

the supplement Co-enzyme Q10 is good for energy
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi,....

Acetyl-l-carnitine, ALA, l-tyrosine and protein shakes are good. But I also take provigil as needed. I have also heard (like above poster) that adderall is helpful.

Take care,

Elsa
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

The only thing that helps me with fatigue is bed rest and lots of water. If I push it and don't rest I paid dearly I'll be in more pain and brain fog. Lots of times I have to just go to bed. I'm dealing with acute EBV.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Dee50
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

cbnesu:
    I agree with Dee. When I am fatigued I rest. I believe it is my bodys way of saying 'Enough!'. So I wait it out and usually it will pass.
    The girls mentioned good meds, too. I do not take them because I have much anxiety and can not take anything that will 'speed me up'.
    NyroFan
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Is to take a balanced magnesium/calcium supplement. I've been taking it for a few months and it helped me immensely. I noticed the difference right away.

This supplement is so easy to find, please consider a 30 day trial and see if it helps.

Nancy B.
  9. Charleneyz1984

Charleneyz1984 New Member

Hi, I am also 21 and was diagnosed with cfs and fibro when i was 16. The fatigue thing is so so frustrating isnt it! Especially at our age when were supposed to be full of vigor and life! I dont take anything for the fatigue itself but i am on anti depressants due to depression (which can make the fatigue worse) and these are supposed to help clear my mind to get rid of the insomnia, but so far nothing seems to be better, but i think it is alot of trial and error for each individual. What i would say most of all is to pace yourself and allways listen to your body. As its not a case of work through it and you will feel better, that just makes you worse!
    Where are you from?

You will find alot of great people here who give great advice!

Charlene
  10. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've read that some people take Provigil and it works quite well. But, like many meds, it has unwanted side effects. I think I read somewhere that the fatigue sometimes is caused by our inability to get to Stage 4 sleep.

I take ambien before I go to bed and it helps most of the time. Also, I take trazodone which is an anti-depressent with sedative effects.

I always have to take a nap during the day, so my sleep problems haven't been resolved - and maybe never will.

I second Mary's suggestion to buy and read the book, "From Fatigued to Fantastic". It has lots of good ideas.
  11. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

'Tis the Season maybe? (Allergens playing a part?) I've been exhausted lately and in a great deal of pain, I even paid $60 to fill an RX for Adderall 5 mg. and it seems to make me nauseated and not helping with energy. Course I'm not sure if it supposed to help immediately or not?

I think the fatigue is just as aggravating as the pain. I have to drive 45 minutes to see my doctor and if this keeps up it will be a real struggle to get there.

Hope we all get to feeling better soon.
    Val
  12. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

yes. i think the best thing is lot of rest, taking it easy, learning how to decrease stress around you, and eating healthfully and drinking lots of water!! you can't fight this tired-ness just get a lot of rest.
  13. cbmesu

cbmesu New Member

it's just frustrating b/c this has been going on for years and i've been complaing about it for years and i wish i could have did something sooner. im gonna start the magnessium and malic acid but im also considering provigal or adderall. At 21 I dont wanna be so dragged down. Im sure you understand!! I live in new york! I see they have some cfs centers around but tooo far away~~~

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2005]