Fatigue question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sec1971, Feb 12, 2006.

1. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

My niece was married Saturday. We were busy at the church from 6:00 to 9:30 on Friday night. Then again from 12:00 to 5:30 on Saturday. I stood through the wedding, then through most of the reception serving cake and punch, then helped with cleanup.

I got up on Sunday and felt like I had lead weights on my arms and legs. Sort of like you feel when your blood sugar goes too low. But no matter what I did, I couldn't "boost" it back up. Eating and drinking didn't help, so I don't think it was blood sugar. I just couldn't do anything but lay around all day Sunday. I guess that's my cue that I can't do that kind of non-stop stuff anymore.

Is this the "classic fatigue" that I'm describing? I don't usually have too much trouble with that aspect of fibromyalgia, and certainly not to this level.
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

and just about anything out of the ordinary will put me in bed for aleast one day. If my grandbabies come over, my husband has to be with me and just putting them in my lap will mess me up. I hit a "brick wall" and if I dont stop when that happens, it can mess me up for days. At the wedding, did you reach a pt where you knew you should stop but you kept going? I do water arobics once a wk and it puts me in bed all of the next day. I also have diabetes and the low blood sugar feeling is different. Good luck

Suzette
  3. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

And I've had the tests for hypoglycemia, which came up negative for it. But if I don't eat right (small stuff often thru the day), then I get that low blood sugar feeling. When that happens, I can drink a coke or eat some candy and it will rebound. Nothing I did yesterday helped. I was just TIRED, so tired all day long. Kind of like in a fog. And yes, I remember when I "hit the wall" as you put it. The wedding was very disorganized and there wasn't anyone else to do the stuff, so I continued on. I guess next time I'll know when to say enough is enough. I'm still new to learning how to deal with this disease and knowing what I can and can't (or shouldn't) do.
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My son is getting married on 4/2. The rehearsal is on 4/1. Now because of your story, I'm just wondering how I am going to make it through all of this with no breaks and not being able to pace myself?

Plus we have out of town company coming (4) and staying in a motel (thankfully). But, I know they will be here most of the time and that gives me even less down time to rest.

I have gone from looking forward to the wedding to dreading the rehearsal and wedding. The reception won't even be at the church, it is going to be at the firestation as the bride HAS to get married on a Sunday at 4 PM. The rehearsal is at 2 PM the prior day. The bride and her mother made the plans and I was never consulted about the times or anything like that.

Now I am just wondering what state I'll be in by the end of the reception on 4/2?

Unlike you Sec, I can't stand that long, so I won't be able to help much. I guess I'll have my husband take a chair for me to sit in.

I don't know what kind of fatigue I have as I have never done back to back events like this since I had FMS in 1995.

Hugs,
    Faye
    I do have diabetes type 2 and have for 29 years.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That sounds similar to the fatigue I get with CFIDS. Nothing relieves it, it feels like I've been hit by a truck, and the only thing I can do is lie around and do absolutely nothing, usually for 2 days, and then gradually my energy will return. But I have to be very careful not to over do it - there's an invisible line that when crossed, knocks me out. It has nothing to do with blood sugar or sleep or anything. It's my body malfunctioning in energy production.

There's an article on the Immune Support home page entitled "My Secret Weapon: pre-emptive rest for chronic fatigue syndrome" which you might find helpful. It talks about resting even when you don't feel a need to, to stave off crashes like you had.

Mary
  6. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

Faye,
    My thoughts are if it is your son getting married, he should know and understand about your illness. Do WHAT you can do WHEN you can do it, and then go home and rest. He'll understand, surely, that you're not able to do everything. At least I hope so. I'm so newly diagnosed and I don't "look" sick, so everyone still expects me to do everything like I always have. I'm going to have to learn how to say "No" more often when I realize it's going to be too much for me. Boy...that's a hard habit to break.

My best to you and yours on the big day!
    Sarah
  7. sec1971

sec1971 New Member

Mary,
    Thanks for pointing me to that article! It's going to be really hard for me to rest when it doesn't feel like I need it, but it does make perfect sense. Hopefully, I'll figure this stuff out eventually. I'm new to the disease, so I'll just have to keep working at it. Thanks again!
    Sarah
  8. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Sounds exactly the way I felt recently after an all day television shoot. The HGTV show, reDesign with Kenneth Brown was shooting the remodel of our master bedroom. We committed to the show not thinking through my fibromyalgia. The day came when we had to do the all day shoot with all the cameras, lights, production crew, etc. in my house for about 9 hours. Afterwards, I was so WIPED - I couldn't move for the next three to four days practically. It was exactly as you describe, like lead weights on my arms, legs and all over my body. I used to produce television and go on long all day shoots, all week long and never feel anything but exhilarated. Now, just after one day, it was like my body had just left me high and dry for the following three to four days. What a HUGE difference from when I used to be well.

The only thing I can say is, thank you and thank everyone on the message boards for your stories. It reminds me that I am not alone and that fibromyalgia is truly a life changing disorder.

Take care and be good to yourself!

Cynthia
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

What day will this be broadcast? I would love to see it. I admire his work and think he is very talented.
    Do you like the way it turned out?