Fatty tumors on ankles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Aug 11, 2009.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

That's what I always referred to them with my pets. They would get them as they aged. It's a fatty lump on both ankles. I asked my gynecologist about it at my annual visit and he said they are common.

One keeps growing. I have no idea why they are there. My ankles aren't thick, they are normal size otherwise.

Anyone else have this?
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

I will not even wear a dress it is so embarassing what is up with this. Fat or not and I am not these are fatty Kankles I call them why?? My legs also swell really bad.
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have had a lipoma on the back of my neck for several years. It has gotten rather large, and very ugly. I want to have it removed, but I am a chicken about surgery, and how it might affect me. I am looking into alternatives to surgery.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My husband has fatty tumors in various parts of his body. His Dr. says they are no problem unless they really bother him. If it's bothering you because it's unsightly, you might want to get it taken out.
    I know they can 'pop up' anywhere. Some people are more prone to them than others.

Jewel - I'd consult with a surgeon - I don't know if they put you totally out for this kind of surgery. (if that's your fear)
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Is this another thing with middle-age?
  6. dannybex

dannybex Member

Of course everyone's doctor would have to determine this in each case, but perhaps some of these are actually lipomas -- which are benign fatty 'lumps' -- rather than tumors, which can be benign or malignant.

I've had probably a dozen, for at least a dozen or more years, but they never get any bigger. I had one removed on my back probably about a dozen years ago, and one on my arm.

Shoot -- I just googled 'lipomas', and they're described as benign fatty tumors. My bad...

They also say:

"Lipomas are normally removed by simple excision. This cures the majority of cases, with about 1-2% of lipomas recurring after excision."

7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Thanks, Janalynn. Actually, I've consulted with a couple of plastic surgeons. The first one wanted to put me totally out because of the location of it - I'd be lying on my stomach for a significant amount of time - and I decided the risks of general anesthesia weren't worth it.

I consulted with a second who said he could do it with just a local. But he wanted me off my methotrexate (which I take for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) to prevent infections. I even scheduled surgery once back in February of this year. I tried coming off my methotrexate, and felt like h*ll within a few days. So I cancelled the surgery. Now, my rheumy says that I DON'T necessarily have to be off of my methotrexate for this type of surgery. So, it's back in the surgeon's court.

I will probably consult with him again in the Fall. I didn't want to get it done in the summer when I spend a good deal of time in the pool and outside, hot and sweaty. I figured I'd be more prone to infection then.

I think it is usually not this complicated when they are smaller. They can even be taken out in the doctor's office by a dermatologist or something. But mine is almost the size of a tennis ball, so it is more involved. :(
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I didn't know these were so common.....wow, the size of a tennis ball! I fear anesthesia as well ever since my experience with it. I never thought it could happen even after the stories I heard about.

But a year and half later, after simple knee surgery, I am still recovering from the overall body pain and flare. So, yes, it is a real complication.

BTW, the knee healed, it's the rest of me....LOL
  9. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I was wondering what those were. My blood tests come out fine and I have skinny ankles but on each side under the bone there are lumps. Now I feel better! Nt genecologis said to do leg lifts. Well, I did hundreds of those and I still have those lumps. And yes, I have normal size ankles too!

Lots of lumps :))))))
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The one on my husband's back is probably 6-7 inches long and 3-4 inches wide in certain areas, so it's fairly large. You can really see it when he leans over.

He has a couple on his arms. He just discovered a new one the other day.
    I offered to cut it out, but he declined. =)

They are pretty common. I know a lot of people who have them.

I've never heard of doing leg lifts to get rid of fatty tumors! hmmm.

"Lots of lumps"...LOL

11. sueliza

sueliza New Member

These are also very common on the ankles and wrists. I look like I have two ankle bones sometimes!
  12. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Have you had xray of your ankles ?