Favorite 3 Older (church hymn) Worship songs?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by billiegail, Oct 24, 2004.

1. billiegail

billiegail New Member

What are your top three favorite church hymn worship songs? And Why?

My three would have to be Precious Memories, because everytime I sing this song or heard it sung it reminds me that we don't know what will happen from day to day, but as long as we trust in the Lord and live for Him, everything will be okay.

Amazing Grace, because the writer praises the Lord's Mercy and his Grace even during the hardest days of the writers life. If your not familar with the story, you really should look it up. Maybe we should start a thread for the reasons behind things.

One day at a Time, because I have to ask Him everyday to get me through just one more day. I also just Love the reason Christy Lane wrote this song. It is an amazing testimony. Her husband was a POW and she sang at this camp, but could not let anyone know that she saw him. It is really a wonderful story.

Another wonderful song is "Where the Soul Never Dies"
    Because it doesn't!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless you all
    ~BillieGail~
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

"Amazing Grace" - "I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see". I find those words so promising - no matter what dumb things we have done, we can overcome with God's amazing grace.

"How Great Thou Art" - When I was a child my Dad belonged to the Holy Name Society. This was "their" song. My Dad never sang, claiming to have a bad voice. But I can still see him belting out that song, putting his heart and soul into it. He sang it every Sunday with the other men in the Society.

"Ave Maria" - It makes me cry every time I hear it because it was played at all our family's funerals. It echoes my childhood too, when all seemed right with the world.

Pepper
  3. lucyw

lucyw New Member

Probably my first one would be Amazing Grace. I have always loved that song. There is alot of promise in that song. I onced was lost but know im found!

I will follow him. another one i absolutly love.
    And near him i always will be!!!

im not sure on the spelling on the other one but i love bulla land also

Isnt God wonderful!!
  4. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Along with many of you, my favourite traditional hymn has to be "Amazing Grace." It has been sung at all the funerals in our family, and I remember hearing it so much as a child when I was growing up. I did not, however, know about the story behind the song until several years ago. Wow! What a story! The line about saving a wretch like me chokes me up because I AM so grateful that he saved a wretch like me. My righteousness is as filthy rags, but, praise Jesus, I am cleansed through His healing stripes.

My other favourite is "In the Garden." ....And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own; And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known. It reminds me of the many times I sang it as a child in church standing alongside my family--half of them with the Lord now and the other half away from Him on earth. It brings back good memories of trusting God with that child-like faith and being surrounded by the love of my family. Being alone now, I still draw on that strength.
    (I also like the most recent "re-make" of this song.)

My last one just has to be that fairly contemporary Christian song that came out two or three years ago by Mel (sp?) Pope and Julie Costello, "The Golden City." If you haven't heard the lyrics to this song, you've missed something so very, very special. From the first time I heard this song to every other time I've heard it, I cry. It strikes a special chord down deep in my soul. It helps me remember that some sweet day in the future that I will meet my Creator and Savior and will be reunited with so many of my loved ones who've preceded me, especially Mom, Dad, and Grandma (my second mother, as I've referred to her as she always lived with us). Although I'm alone now (except my sweet Lord), I was triple-blessed with THREE parents growing up. What a blessed childhood I had!!!!!!! Thank you, Lord.
  5. dash

dash New Member

The trouble with this question is narrowing it down to three. And on any given day, I might pick a different three depending on my spiritual mood,

My Favorite old hymns:

"A Mighty Fortress Is Our God"

"Fairest Lord Jesus"

"The King of Love My Shepherd Is"

I have to tell all of you that when I was a child and heard the hymn "Bring in the Sheaves" for the first time, I thought people were singing "Bringing in the Sheep". It made perfect sense to me at the time, and I sang it that way until I saw it in print.

God bless,
    Della
  6. Dulcimerkid

Dulcimerkid New Member

Hi
    My favorite hymns would have to be

1.Stand up Stand up for Jesus, I have loved this one since I was a child and now since our society wants you to be tolerant of others but not of christians

2. Holy, Holy, Holy this again I have loved since childhood.

3. It is Well With My Soul. When I found out the background on how this hymn was written it has had even greater meaning to me.

4. and to throw in one that is contemporary Knowing You , written by Graham Kendrick has an awesome message and is a wonderful prayer.

Blessings!
    Laurie
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My favorite two are Amazing Grace and Holy Holy Holy.
  8. s-rose

s-rose New Member

Amazing Grace: It is only because of His Amazing Grace

The Old Rugged Cross: Reminds me how much he loves us

Because He Lives: I can face tomorrow

Love and Prayers,
    Susie Rose
  9. Posey

Posey New Member

My three favorite hymns would be:

"Just a Closer Walk With Thee" because it reminds me to pay attention to where I'm walking.

"Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" because I can picture his loving and peaceful face.

"Jesus Loves Me" because when I'm down or worried it is a simple song that comforts me.

Thank you for this post. Today is a particularly bad day and it was nice to be reminded of something peaceful and safe.

Hugs,
    Chris
  10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Laurie--
    Can you believe it--I just now read your posting of your favorite hymns?!! You caused me to remember some I was surprised I had forgotten and were favorites of mine. 'Couldn't believe it when you listed "It Is Well With My Soul." This was the #1 hymn my mom wanted sung at her funeral (and it was....don't there there was a dry eye in the church) I didn't know there was a story behind it, so I'm appreciative of the fact that you mentioned it. Mom and I were super close. If I could only be a fraction of the Christian she was, that would really be something! I will research the song. Thanks for the tip.
    Love,
    Sweetpeas
  11. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

First, I have to say that today has just been a yucky day for me. I popped over to this message board to see what it was about and my spirit was lifted. God used you all. Now, my three favorites:
    1.Amazing Grace (sang it at my wedding in honor of my Grandpa was the original plan, then my Grandma died suddenly, so it was for her too. Now, I sing it to my son while I rock him to sleep)
    2.It is Well with my Soul (how great is it to know that no matter what, it is well)
    3.In the Garden (I just love to think about the words)
    Thank you all,
    Dawn
  12. Stidham66

Stidham66 New Member

Blessed Assurance has always been a favorite of mine because no matter what I face in life, I know that I have the assurance of the Lord that's everything is going to be ok.

I'll Fly Away is another favorite. I can sing that song and just imagine myself sprouting wings as eagles and soaring to Heaven!!

Robe of White is another one. It is a hope to be standing in Heaven some day in my robe of white and singing with the choir!
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

1. It is Well with my Soul

2. My Anchor Holds

3. Fairest Lord Jesus.

And I could go on and on.

It was neat to see all the old hymns and remember singing them, where, etc. Thanks for the post.

Sue
  14. kch64

kch64 New Member

There are so many good ones. Mine are

1. The Old Rugged Cross

2. When the Roll is Called Up Yonder (AMEN)!

O.K. I can't think of a third because I keep thinking of all the songs I really like.

3. The Lily of the Valley (He's the Lily of the valley, the bright and morning star, He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.)

Kendra
  15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I haven't seen you around in some time....I have been irregular so you may have been around and I just missed you.

I hope you are well. Take care.

Sue
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling good...seems to be the normal around here, but it seems you have something even out of the ordianry...knee surgery to look forward to...

Be sure to post when it is so we can pray for you. So good to see you again.

Love,
    Sue