Favorite Candida Diet Recipes - Please share yours

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, Oct 28, 2005.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Since so many of us are working overtime to get rid of candidiasis, it would be great if we could share our favorite recipes.

I know that different guidelines for diet are given from different sources.

GUIDELINES I've read say that during the treatment phase:

Eliminate most fruits.
    No sugar, honey, maple syrup
    No yeasted foods (breads)
    No molds (mushrooms, vinegar).
    Avoid dairy, except for organic, unsweetened yogurt.

Do use unprocessed foods.
    Do eat a variety of low glycemic vegetables.
    Do eat green foods.
    Do use whole grains (millet, quinoa, brown rice, whole oats).

Of course don't forget your salmon, or other protein.

The following recipes are from a friend who makes them with a handful of this and a pinch of that. I tried to translate. You can use these with veggies to dip in, or on top of your salad.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    TAHINI DIP (OR SALAD DRESSING)

BLEND the following in a blender until smooth:

4-5 large garlic cloves
    Cilantro - a BIG handful
    approx. 1/4 C. lemon juice (freshly squeezed, or I use organic bottled)

ADD to the blender and puree the following:

1 C. plain tahini
    1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
    Water - small amount; enough to puree smoothly and reach the thickness or thinness of consistency that you prefer.

ENJOY!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    HUMMUS DIP (OR SALAD DRESSING)

For this, you first need to reserve about 1/3 - 1/2 C. of the above TAHINI recipe.

PUREE the following in a blender:

2 large garlic cloves
    small amount lemon juice (approx. 1/4 C.)
    1 can organic garbanzo beans

ADD and PUREE:
    approx. 1/3 C. of the TAHINI or up to 1/2 C.
    Sea salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
    water or liquid reserved from beans - enough to blend to the consistency you like

MMMMMMMMM good
    -------------------------------------------------------

The first few times I made these, it seemed to take awhile. Now that I make it weekly (my family loves these dips) I'm going a lot faster with it.

Bon apetite!
    Hopeful4

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Hope someone has some recipes for you...as you can see, I don't. I don't really even know what Candida is, so I can't help.

Bump back to the top!

Sue
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

You can't beat Vans wheat free waffles they are pretty darn good when you crave something bready! Also Mrs Leepers Veggie twists to sub for pasta. Plain yogurt with one strawberry and Stevia for something sweet. Also make an Apple cobbler by mixing a chopped fresh granny smith apple with Stevia. Top with a teaspoon of steele cut oats and a little butter for some crunch. These are a few things that have gotten me through! Lynn
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Fivesue:

Thanks for bumping. Here's a little info on Candida. It is often associated with CFIDS/FM, and other illnesses. The diet is to help rid one of the overgrowth, along with treatment for it (using an anti-fungal).

Candida albicans, and other strains of Candida are yeast that normally inhabits our digestive system: the mouth, throat, intestines and genitourinary tract.

Candida is a normal part of the bowel flora (the organisms that naturally live inside our intestines, and are not parasitic). It has many functions inside our digestive tract, one of them to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria.

Without Candida albicans in our intestines we would be defenseless against many pathogen bacteria. Healthy person can have a millions of Candida albicans. Our immune system is suppose to keep it under control, together with "friendly" bacteria (Lactobacillus acidophilus , B. bifidum, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, S. thermophilus and L. salivarius, ...).

If the number of friendly bacteria is decreased (antibiotics, pesticides, chlorine,...) in relation to a number of Candida, the immune systems is weakened or other conditions for yeast proliferation occur (diet high in sugar, improper pH in the digestive system) Candida albicans will shift from yeast to mycelial fungal form and start to invade the body.

In the yeast state Candida is a non-invasive, sugar-fermenting organism, while in fungal state it is invasive and can produce rhizoids, very long root-like structures. Rhizoids can penetrate mucosa or intestinal walls, leaving microscopic holes and allowing toxins, undigested food particles and bacteria and yeast to enter the bloodstream. These condition is known as Leaky Gut Syndrome, one more name for the food and environmental intolerances.

Lynn:
    Thanks for your ideas! How are you doing with eliminating the candida?

Does anyone else have some good food ideas for candida? We could make a cookbook!

Take care,
    Hopeful4

5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I have actually added alot of foods back in per Dr B but I am doing it in moderation. Trying to avoid yeast and eating no sugar. I have added some cheese and some vinegar like having salad dressing on the side in a restaurant.

heres another thing I tried this WE Amys organics Mac and cheese. It is made with rice pasta. If you are past the really strict stage or if you are gonna die if you can't get some comfort food this is the one! It was really surprisingly good!

Take Care I havr to go eat my Vans waffles for breakfast! Lynn