Favorite Holiday Song

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nerdieduckie, Nov 21, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Well, with the radio stations preparing to play them (and most stores already doing so) I thought it could be fun to start a thread to see what everyone's favorite holiday songs are.

My ultimate favorite is the Ukrainian Bell Carol. I LOVE it, and I almost never get sick of hearing it.

My mum starts playing Christmas music in September..at least that was this year. Sometimes it starts earlier. It can get really easy to be sick of it all, so I try to hide my ears until the holidays. Then I love it :)

Especially when I find funky Christmas music. I've found some really crazy versions that are more me ^_^

So everyone, let's share!!
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I Guess my all time favorite is "Silent Night " And "up on the Roof top" wow your Mom starts earlie on the X-Mas music!LoL lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Maybe it cheers Her up!
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Yeah she does start early, but she says it keeps her in a "sane" mood when she's cooking.

Sane is a relative term around here LOL.

Sometimes I don't mind though, except it makes me feel out of season. I hear Christmas music and I look outside "hdguoshguoh!" it's summer...

Glad you enjoy the thread idea!
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

"O Holy Night" never fails to give me chills, especially in the last verse, sung by a good singer.
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I love "Up on the rooftop" because my kids know hand motions to it and I videotaped them singing it. "O, Holy Night" is beautiful. It reminds me of my childhood being in church on Christmas Eve. Every year the minister would sing it a cappella. When he hit the high note, it was always perfect. Good memories, thanks! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Sung by Ed Ames I think - it was on the radio a lot in the 60's and 70's but you seldom hear his version any more. Always raises goose bumps though.

The kids like "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" ;-)
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hahahahah I love Grandma got run over by a reindeer. It's so silly.

I guess I should explain why Ukrainian Bell Carol is my favorite since you all have done such a good job talking about your favorites.

We have on videotape this Claymation Christmas, it was on Disney channel, I think, maybe in the early 90s, possibly older than that. Well, they did Christmas carols on there, with interpretations by clay whatevers. For Ukrainian Bell Carol, there was a bell choir and they had to hit themselves with mallets when their note came. Well...there was this one dorky guy who didn't quite know what he was doing. Then this fly came about and he began swinging at it, naturally hitting other bells (and wrong notes). He never came in at the right time either. It ended up that he was so bad, at the end (which was his one and only note) the director, Quasimodo, hit him with something, and when he turns around to bow you see a slingshot in his hand. Ever since then I can't get enough of the song. Plus it just seems not quite as traditional. You don't hear it as often.

Am trying to think of other songs...several of them make me cry, obviously not my favorites, haha. Currently I have been listening to "Gary the Green-Nosed Reindeer". It's cute. I found it on iTunes.

This is fun!!

PS: My dad can't wait for Christmas music to stop playing. He can be a bit of a scrooge...[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

O' Holy night, I have such fond memories, when I hear that song, of my Mother singing that song in Church.
    I too get goosebumps when I hear it being sung by a great singer, ;o)

My other favorite, and I like to do this one at Karakoe,
    "Santa Baby". I like Madonna's and Ertha Kits, versions. I sound like Betty Boop tho. lol.....
    Poop-poop-ti-doop. lol

There really are so many, its had to choose.

Hugs,
    sharonk
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

I like "the hippotamus song" I don't know who sings it but its cute. Other than that I like "Oh Holy Night"
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

"I'm gettin' nuthin for Christmas"

When my daughter was little when she heard the 12 Days of Christmas instead of saying "and a partridge in a pear tree" she sang "and a part in a little bear tree!"

I think my most favorite will always be Silent Night. I love to hear it late on Christmas Eve. It brings me peace.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  11. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I always get chills when everyone is standing in a circle in our church Christmas service (one of them, anyway) and everyone is holding hands singing silent night or let there be peace on earth. it's enough to make me cry.
  12. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I get chills just thinking of that beautiful song. Our church has a Christmas Eve service , 10 p.m., and it closes with a darkened church except for the individual candles thawt all hold. It makes tears come to my eyes.

every year for about 50 years, i have sung a descant with one ;of the verses. Hope my8 voice holds out for it again.

I have told my son, and he agrees, that i want this song at my8 funeral --it ties with "battle Hymn" as my favorite song of any time.

Luv u all,

Joan
  13. zerosb3

zerosb3 New Member

Oh Holy Night sung by Mariah Carey. Awesome!
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

my favorite is not a 'song' but the piece Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra...

but song-wise... We 3 Kings was always my favorite for some reason...

15. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I always love hearing Christmas songs in foreign languages, especially German. I knew Stille Nacht completely at one point :-\