Favorite shampoo conditioner for fine hair?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Apr 28, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Like most people with fine hair, I've tried LOTS of shampoos. None have ever wow'ed me.

I'm currently using Redken Color Extend, since I highlight my hair, but I'm looking for something new (again). I'd love to see a list of everyone's favorite shampoo and conditioner for FINE hair.

My daughters also have fine hair and I'd like to get suggestions for them, too. They go through a lot of shampoo, so cheap is good, too!

2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

One of my daughters was experiencing a noticeable hair loss when she went vegetarian--it was attributed to a lack of protein. It has since corrected since she is consciously aware of monitoring her protein intake now, but she swears by Pantene Volumizing shampoo and Conditioner. It was recommended to her by a friend experiencing the same thing and it worked really well. BTW, my 17 year old niece has long beautiful black hair, but it falls out alot. She stayed with me last summer and her hair was always all over the floor. Her mother, a registered dietician, also said it was from lack of protein and quite common in teenage girls. Try the Pantene--hope it helps.

[This Message was Edited on 04/28/2008]
  3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

is called Kenra but it is a salon product so it isn't cheap but you don't need a lot of product so a bottle does last a long time. The hairspray is awesome as well. I haven't found anything else that works as good with giving my very fine hair more volume.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

This, too, is a salon product, but it is especially designed for fine or thinning hair. Some is for color treated and other for natural.

They have a number of different levels that address different hair situations. My husband uses the shampoo as he has fine hair and it is noticably thinning...on the top, of course. There are a several other products than the shampoo, but DH just uses the shampoo.

He likes it a lot, but I can't tell you how it well it works. My DIL recommends it to many people; she is a hairdresser who knows her stuff to say the least.

Just my two cents.

5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Laura - Thanks for the heads up on the protein problem. So far my girls are good meat eaters, but with the majority of their teen years yet to come, who knows....

So far, we have:

Pantene Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner

Thanks for the input ladies (and Sue's husband!). I appreciate it!

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

About Kendra...I have used their dry hair shampoo before; actually, I used it for years and it worked very well for me. As Monica wrote, it lasts forever as a very little is needed to do the trick.

I tried another dry hair shampoo and I like it, also, but may go back to Kendra after I'm through with this batch.

So, it's a good brand for dry hair, so I would hope the one for fine hair would work well, also.

Forgot to mention that with my first post....

Old age...(-:

7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

As was stated above, this is a salon product and isn't cheap, but I swear by it.

I had weight loss surgery and my hair started falling out by fistfuls. My beautician suggested it and it made what hair I still had, look full and shiny.

[This Message was Edited on 04/28/2008]
  8. jole

jole Member

Nioxin is my favorite too...from a salon. Doesn't take much so lasts a loooonnnnggg time. My hair really does feel fuller, and my hairdresser said it can actually help you grow new hair.

The only thing I DON'T like about it is the smell...but I can put up with that!!
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

The best shampoo and conditioner I ever used in my life is by Purology. It is expensive but unbelievable. They make a formula for thin hair, or to make your hair thicker.

Also Purology is excellent for chemically treated hair. I also have heavy highlights.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've done my own hair for centuries and this is what I've learned about my own fine hair.

Dilute a good, mild shampoo, wash every three or four days if you can get away with it, and only wash once but well. Rusk (salons and Targete') has a good shampoo called Brilliance which I dilute. Every other time I used a volumizing shampoo but I have to be careful what I use because I color my hair and need one that doesn't fade my color.

The shampoo before coloring or highlighting, should be a good clarifying shampoo.

As for conditioner, you probably can get away as I do with a tiny bit of a detangling product (weak conditioner) on your fingertips and put it only on the ends of your hair. Deep condition either while coloring roots (put a good conditioner on the ends and leave it on while you wait for the color to develop) or if you don't color your hair, condition ends only 1x each month with fine hair.

Remember, these companies want us to think we need aaaaaall their products and often we don't.

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi TwinMa,

My hairdresser sells pricey shampoos her salon, but I can't afford them, so for people like me she recommends John Frieda---and she thinks it's just as good! I've had great luck with their products. My hair is also very fine.

John Frieda isn't as cheap as a shampoo like Sauve, but it's not as expensive as other shampoos you will see at the grocery either. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

12. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I really appreciate everyone's responses. So far we have:

Rusk Brilliance
    John Frieda

I really like the other tips, too, on how to actually use the products. Good ideas.

I only recently started not putting conditioner on the roots, but now I'll try only using it on the very ends. My biggest problem is that without conditioner my hair becomes fly-away (I live in Colorado and it's pretty dry here).

mysticbrit - What ingredient do you look for on the label to see if something is gluten free? Does it actually list "gluten" or something else?

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
  13. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Mysticbrit/Nancy - I looked online for ingredients for Nioxin. It looks like both the shampoo and conditioner have a number of "wheat" ingredients. Nothing that says gluten, but it sounds like wheat isn't what you want either. Here's the website that lists Nioxin ingredients:

Here are the hairloss shampoos they review:

Aqua Glycolic Shampoo
    Biotin Shampoo
    COUVRé Thickening Shampoo
    Dercap/Aminexil Shampoo
    Hair Genesis Shampoo & Conditioner
    Nano Shampoo
    Nioxin Shampoo
    Progaine 2-in-1 Shampoo/Conditioner
    Silica Shampoo
    Thicker, Fuller Hair Shampoo
    Tricomin Shampoo & Conditioner

The review article is dated February 1, 1999, so take it for what it's worth. It also looks like a website aimed at men, so again....

Most of the reviews are pretty short--one or two sentences. They said Nioxin is good, but expensive. Too bad for you that it has wheat in it.

If I find something that is gluten/wheat free, I'll let you know!
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

This had some good styling tips. The shampoos and conditioners were all pretty expensive, except one shampoo called "Thicker Fuller Hair". No idea who makes it, but it's cheap. The title of the article is:

FINE HAIR SOLUTIONS: The lowdown on which cuts, styling techniques and products really work for fine and thinning hair.

Here's the link:

15. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Years ago I used Pantene for fine limp hair and thought it was great. The volumizing formula is probably the same thing with a newer name. Over the years with all the hair color and abuse, my hair is no longer limp, so I am not up to date on the newest products for this condition. But back before Pantene became cool and well known, it was amazing stuff. And I couldn't believe it actually make my hair feel thicker. It is probably better now. I like all the other formulas they make.

Back in 79-80, I went to cosmetology school. I learned these things. Stay away from Johnsons Baby shampoo. It is NOT "gentle". It is formulated to eat the matts out of babies hair. Prell is the harshest shampoo they make (back then.) And Suave, although dirt cheap, really IS just as good as the other brands.

But try the Pantene TwinMa. Its easy to find and although pricey compared to the other name brands, its cheaper than the salon products. If you do decide to go with a salon product, check out the beauty supply shops, where it will be cheaper.