FDA changed rules on Vicodin/Hydrodocone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Beadlady, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Anyone know anything about this new change? A friend told me he heard that the FDA was changing the rules, but I couldn't find anything definate about it.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

The FDA, because of the prescription drug abuse, are making it harder to get drugs like vicodin. They're changing the drug classification of many of these drugs and making it harder for your doc to prescribe.

For instance, Soma the muscle relaxer, which has been around forever, has been bumped up to a class 2 drug, which is basically a narcotic statis. So now it's much harder to get from your doc.

God forbid if you need your doc to increase any of these drugs because you've developed a tolerance, they act like your asking for heroine.

None of this is good news for us that really need these medications.

kbak
  3. cheriblast

cheriblast New Member

I was really disappointed to find out at my last doctor appt that the soma I've used for literally years had been changed to a class II drug. My do toe informed me that she would be taking me off of it as I also used an opioid. So, basically it was I had to chose which one I wanted but could no longer have both. I normally only used this drug at nighttime and on occasion only. She informed me if I were to need a muscle relaxer again I could have flexeral. I hate that drug. Makes me like a zombie. Can't function for days after taking it. So, I chose to go with nothing For the time being. It's in my Chart if ever I do I fact want or need it. Wow it's so sad that ppl like myself can't get the drugs they really need because of all the abusers in this world. Thanks addicts for ruining my drug regimen.
  4. kbak

kbak Member

cheriblast,
    My local doc wasn't going to refill my soma so I went to my rhuemy doc and she gave me a prescription for it. So maybe you could see someone more specialized and stay on soma. I hated flexeral, and soma was the only one that didn't give me side effects

Take care,
    kbak
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

When I take Flexeril, it puts me down for two to three whole days. But sometimes I really need it for the back and leg pain.

I take codeine, but they restrict that, too. Codeine helps me sleep. And it does take some pain down temporarily. Not enough, though.

The FDA seems to want everyone to remain in pain.
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

2-3 times per day and less Advil since on Anatabloc...I've
    made a long post on my progress....

Doing my best to take less pain meds....whether the day
    will come that I'm totally off, somehow I don't see that...

Too much structural damage to my body from hip surgery and time is getting shorter and shorter...but knowing my
    genetics I could be around into my 90's....so Anatabloc will
    be with me I believe.
  7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Reclassifying Vicodin and similar drugs means that doctors will no longer be able to call a prescription in over the telephone. They will have to write out a script on a prescription pad, and you will have to take that to the pharmacist.

I believe it also means a script can only be a 3 month supply.

Many doctors were already limiting pain medications, even to those who truly needed it, because they just didn't want all the hassle for the government agency which has intensified it's oversight of such drugs.

This reclassification will surely cause even more doctors to by shy about prescribing pain medications.

Unfortunately, those who abuse such drugs cause much trouble for those the drugs were actually made to help.