FDA/NIH find XMRV!!!!!!!!! :>)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 22, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Anyone see this? It was put out only an hour ago. If this is true, I am pleasantly surprise, well way more!!! We need details about the study!!! Why in the world did they not release this sooner???? Science Win Out!!!

Original Press Release from the Netherlands: FDA and NIH confirm 'XMRV findings'

Gendringen, NL (MMD Newswire) June 22, 2010 --

The FDA and the NIH have independently confirmed the XMRV findings as published in Science, October last. This confirmation was issued by Dr. Harvey Alter of the NIH during a closed workshop on blood transfusion held on May 26-27 in Zagreb. Two journalists from the Dutch magazine for health professionals, ORTHO, who have been working on XMRV stories for several months, were able to obtain a copy of the Alter lecture.

In the October 8, 2009 issue of Science Express, the Lombardi-Mikovits group at the Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI), the Cleveland Clinic and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) reported that 67% of 101 chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients tested positive for infection with xenotropic murine retrovirus (XMRV). Only 3.7% of 218 healthy subjects tested were positive for this gammaretrovirus. Since that time, a number of research groups have proved unable to independently confirm these findings.

I found this on the WPI facebook page but will find the original source and see if there are more details.

[This Message was Edited on 06/22/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2010]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Original Press Release from the Netherlands: FDA and NIH confirm 'XMRV findings'

Gendringen, NL (MMD Newswire) June 22, 2010 -- The FDA and the NIH have independently confirmed the XMRV findings as published in Science, October last. This confirmation was issued by Dr. Harvey Alter of the NIH during a closed workshop on blood transfusion held on May 26-27 in Zagreb. Two journalists from the Dutch magazine for health professionals, ORTHO, who have been working on XMRV stories for several months, were able to obtain a copy of the Alter lecture.

In the October 8, 2009 issue of Science Express, the Lombardi-Mikovits group at the Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI), the Cleveland Clinic and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) reported that 67% of 101 chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients tested positive for infection with xenotropic murine retrovirus (XMRV). Only 3.7% of 218 healthy subjects tested were positive for this gammaretrovirus. Since that time, a number of research groups have proved unable to independently confirm these findings.

On Friday last, the AABB released an Association Bulletin recommending that its member blood collectors actively discourage potential donors who have been diagnosed with CFS from donating blood or blood components. This interim measure was proposed by the AABB Interorganizational Task Force on XMRV. This Task Force includes representatives from several government agencies, including the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

The fact that the measure was introduced suggests the presence of information not yet published. The ORTHO journalists were able to obtain a pdf document of the lecture given by Harvey Alter at the IPFA/PEI 17th Workshop on 'Surveillance and screening of Blood Borne Pathogens' in Zagreb. The International Plasma Fractionation Association (IPFA) represents the not-for-profit organizations around the world involved in plasma fractionation. The IPFA is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

The highly-experienced Dr. Harvey Alter is Clinical Studies Chief at the Infectious Diseases and Immunogenetics Section of the Department of Transfusion Medicine at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda. "The data in the Lombardi, et al Science manuscript are extremely strong and likely true, despite the controversy", was one comment on the XMRV findings reported by Alter in Zagreb. "Although blood transmission to humans has not been proved, it is probable. The association with CFS is very strong, but causality not proved. XMRV and related MLVs are in the donor supply with an early prevalence estimate of 3%?7%. We (FDA & NIH) have independently confirmed the Lombardi group findings."

ORTHO contacted Dr. Harvey Alter today for a reaction. He did not want to comment, but confirmed that a paper is soon to be published.

ORTHO is a Dutch magazine for health professionals focusing on nutrition and dietary supplements. ORTHO has been publishing reports on CFS since 1988. Editor-in-chief: Gert E. Schuitemaker (PhD). Tel: + 31 (0) 315 695211 / + 49 (0) 170 808 9484. E-mail: ortho@orthoeurope.com.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

What great news -- I just saw this!
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I didn't see that, LOL!!

Thanks.
    gap
  5. roge

roge Member

this news is no surpirse to me.

all the researchers in uk and netherlands i think who did their shabby xmrv studies can now go stick it up their a**
  6. roge

roge Member

yes, not proven causal - yet,but to have a retrovirus in u is big stuff and should once and for all and 4ever squash all the psycho babbler theories. bend over wessely
  7. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

I don't doubt that this virus was known about 20 years ago. No doubt a lot of lives have been ruined because information about this retrovirus has either been withheld or it wasn't "exciting" enough to talk about in the past. CFS is a very complicated illness with symptoms that overlap other infections. So I just don't understand why people dx'ed with CFS or related illnesses aren't routinely tested for this. From what I understand, routine testing is not yet available, which I find a bit absurd. I also wonder what antiviral or other med would be used for treating xmrv. I haven't seen anything on that. This could possibly be an answer for some, or at least a piece of the puzzle.

8. amomwithsickkids

You make some good and interesting points. I hadn't heard that xmrv could possibly cause autism. As far as the vaccines go, any possible link between vaccines and autism has been denied by the gov't. No surprise there (eye roll). IMO, and this is a bit off topic, parents should test their kids' titers prior to giving vaccines/boosters. If they already have immunity to a disease, it is not necessary to give them a shot. I think it is also possible to request vaccines without the thimerisol, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
  9. amomwithsickkids

wow...this is an awful lot of info to absorb. I will have to reread it another time. Thanks for posting this.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

11. RunningAntelope

RunningAntelope New Member

As I said gap, welcome aboard. Have a pleasant evening. And yes, it is good news, even if late.
  12. amomwithsickkids

Gapsych, I thought this thread was great?? It had a ton of great info/input. I am not understanding the problem. I hope you don't delete it.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I will delete my negative posts. Have at it!!!

I can see there are people who now want me to delete it so others will be mad. I put myself in this position so I will deal with it.

Sorry about that. I am only human.

After last week who wouldn't be a bit gunshy? I think we are all a still a bit raw about that.

I guess it is disappointing to see all this negativity and the same old same old and I reacted.

Really say what you want. I understand where people are coming from. This has been a long time coming. I will stop being uber moderator and go to bed. It is late and I am very tired. :>)

BUT DAMN IF IT ISN'T GOOD NEWS!!!!!

14. amomwithsickkids

I don't think I posted anything negative, but if you think I did, please let me know and I will delete the post(s), as this thread is really important and needs to be here. After what has transpired the past couple of weeks, I certainly do not want to contribute to any negativity. It isn't in our collective best interest.
  15. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

gapsych, your title says the CDC/NIH found XRMV and it should say FDA/NIH

will reply more later I think i'm in shock
  16. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

hard to believe I am happy about confirmation of a retrovirus, but I am......though it is still not confirmation of the cause, it is one more big kick in the collective you know what belonging to Wessely, White, Reeves, etc...and hopefully one more step towards better treatment

good to see the WPI getting vindicated, too........I was getting really sick of people ripping on them

& yeah, it is the FDA; not the CDC....in fact there is (unsubstantiated, but very possibly true) rumor that the CDC has been trying to quash this......I am looking forward to seeing them backpedal on this after Reeves infamous comments last Oct....anyone have a platter of crow for them to partake of?![This Message was Edited on 06/23/2010]
  17. Juloo

Juloo Member

Thanks for scoping out and posting all the information. Very, very interesting!
  18. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Bumping.

And again, it's the FDA and NIH that were reported in ProHealth's article.

"We (FDA & NIH) have independently confirmed the Lombardi group findings.”

I'm posting the link to the article here, because the original News Post at the top of the forums has been replaced with another article already (after only six hours?!):

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15431

----------------
    EDIT:
    Wow, ProHealth! Slow down a bit!

Six hours ago it was the breaking news article (link that I posted above).

Then just now it had changed to this article:
    "Dr. Alter’s ‘Comments on the Agent Du Jour – XMRV’ at Zagreb Blood Conference"
    http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15432

And now it's changed AGAIN:
    "Absence of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus [XMRV] in blood cells of men at risk for and infected with HIV – Source: AIDS, May 20, 2010"
    http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15433

Perhaps there should be more than one news post at the top of the forums??? So much information to take in at once![This Message was Edited on 06/23/2010]
  19. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

ANOTHER ARTICLE added:

"Wall Street Journal Reports FDA-NIH Verification of XMRV-CFS Link"

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15435
  20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was worried for a moment as WPI took the link off their page. Looks like I need to change the title. Haven't been here, so will do that now.

gap