FDA petition to ban Darvocet, Darvon...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and a related med called Wygestic? A group called Public Citizen? has petitioned the FDA to ban these drugs and any that contain a substance called Propoxyphene. They site 2110 deaths of people using these medications from 1981 through 1999.

I have never used this medication but I thought I'd seen some here say they have and I did have an email friend who used Darvocet. SO, just thought it might be of interest to some. I got the newsin a newsletter from the About.com Arthritis people. It is an information only site and covers all forms of Arthritis including FM and I think they also talk about CFS also.
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

BUMP! for anyone who might take this.
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Hi,
    I use darvocet.
    I went to the wesite, but couldn't find the info.
    Do you know where on the site I need to look at?
    I searched under darvocet and didn't find the info either.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    I'm always afraid I'll see one of my meds on those commercials law firms have , you know the you can sue because "so and so" meds cause death!:)
    Claudia
    P.S.It has tylenol in it and when mixed with alcohol can cause serious liver damage. Thousands of people are taken to the hospital from mixing tylenol with alcohol.
    We need to use caution when taking any type of drug, prescription or not.[This Message was Edited on 03/01/2006]
  5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

much more so than other types of narcotics. It also builds up in the kidneys more than the others do, so that is why there are more deaths attributed to it.

If you drink any alcohol with it, or take more than the amount prescribed it can be very deadly very quickly. Some people just don't understand the risks of taking narcotics seriously.
  6. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

After I had my kids thats what my doc gave me. I TOOK TWO EVERY FOUR HOURS!!!!! I did that for about a week. My doc still gives them to me to take as needed. He gives me everything and tells me to rotate so my body doesnt get used to one single med...
    interesting????????
    Thanks for the info. I will be real careful
    Melinda
  7. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Google Public Citizen, they are a consumer group, which was originally started by Ralph Nader. They are very reliable, I actually speak to them often regarding my stories. They are very passionate about what they do and protecting the consumer.

Usually, when they sound the whistle, FDA eventually follows. They did this with Vioxx, Bextra and boxed warnings on anti-depressants for children and teens. My mom was on Darvocet due to knee surgery and I called her the day they filed the petition and told her to stop. But before you do so call your doctor.
  8. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

In fact it is the only thing I have found that works and I am no allergic to.

Why does it cause death? Is it only when mixed with alcohol or when to much is taken?

I only use mine when the pain becomes to much. My 90 pills will last 6 months.

M
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

read by putting About.com in search and then Arthritis and then in their search put Darvocet. Whew! Long way around. I wish I could just forward it to you but...

I haven't researched the med, like I said I did know a woman that takes it for her FM and Arthritis but we've lost touch. It was the only thng that helped her also.