FDA wants to ban Vicodan and Percocet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3gs, Jun 30, 2009.

1. 3gs

3gs New Member

This was on msn about FDA wanting to ban these meds once again due to overdose. They also talk alot about tylenol overdoses and liver damage.

Aslo would like to pull tylenol(cant spell actamenaphen)off shelves. Have black box warnings on these.
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm very upset about the tylenol thing. I can't take much else because of my stomach problems. What do they expect me to do? And Percocet was one of the few drugs that actually helped me. They have been trying to get rid of nearly all pain killers lately and it's horrible.
  3. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

Prescription drug deaths are at about #8 in causes of all deaths in the US at around 24,000 deaths/year mainly due to accidental prescription drug overdose from strong narcotic painkillers. But there is a huge medicinal need for those in serious and disabling pain. Banning pain killers is not the answer, but safer pain killers, better patient education and tighter controls are.

If the FDA was really serious about banning drugs especially non-medicinal drugs that kill Americans, they should first ban cigarretes, the #1 killer around the world(5M) and the US at 500,000 deaths/year, and alcohol, the #3 cause of US deaths at 120,000 deaths/year. All these deaths are 100% preventable. The FDA needs to get their priorities in check.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I want to ban the FDA and the CDC!!
  5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

One can overdose on anything if they want to - why not pull everything off the shelves then???????

6. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

as there was a call to action and you could submit until 6/30. It is absolutely ridiculous to punish those of us in chronic pain because of drug abusers! What happens when they can't get their hands on pills? They'll go right on to some other drug! HELLOOOO! To me this is a law enforcement issue, not one for the FDA. A kid down my street just died from mixing alcohol and oxycontin, or something. It's so sad, but I don't abuse my meds, I won't be able to function without them, and take drug tests administered by my pain dr. to ensure I take them and not taking anything else. Honestly, between the FDA & CDC and all of the other acronyms this country is going downhill in a serious way. Anyways, I gave more than my two cents!
  7. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Just an FYI that the issue with this possible ban is not the drug users--it is the possible liver damage that can result from use of vicodin.

Tylenol is also targeted by this.

There is already talk of someone developing an acetaminophen-free vicodin that will be acceptable.
  8. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Though I realize these drugs have the potential for causing liver damage - isnt it up to our personal doctors to monitor this - especially if we are on liver-damaging drugs? I can understand that drugs containing acetaminophen possibly being made into prescriptions only.

I know our doctors have enough on their plate, but why punish the whole population, when this is easily remedied by stricter controls on lab testing for those of us taking it?
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

They had Dr. Timothy Johnson on Good Morning America the other day. He said that the dose now of two Tylenol (500 mgs each) equaling 1000 mgs is what they want to change, they want to make that max dose to 650 mgs - meaning 325 each pill. The total daily limit would no longer be 4000 mg but 2600 (my math might be wrong right now)

They currently do make a "Percocet" type med or Oxycodone that does not contain Tylenol - that's what I take.

If they ever took Tylenol totally off the market those of us who are allergic to aspirin and NSAIDS would be in big trouble. Fortunately I don't think that will ever happen.

PS. Abuse is abuse - we're not talking about that. There are many problems with Vicodin or any other medication abuse
  10. soulight

soulight New Member

Instead of banning meds. that help people , the FDA should work on educating doctors and the people who sell the meds to the doctors. If doctors were better communicators and kept in touch with their patients on these meds. ( a personal relationship with patients ? perish the thought ) Maybe if our doctors communicated with us about usage then we would all be safer.

The key right now though is educating ourselves and others as much as we can and to never forget that your pharmacist knows the most about meds and their reactions with each other.

11. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Am I the only one who agrees with them? Personally, tylenol does nothing for me at all. I have no idea why I am given vicodin and forced to take the tylenol in it. After 3 years, I expect my liver is less happy than it could be.

Why can't people who like tylenol just take it separately in a form they can measure/count? I think it is a real problem to put it/hide it in so many preparations.

Morphine works far better for me. I get some of it, but the doc insists I also take vicodin.

I don't know about the ban part, but if they can find better pain drugs without tylenol that would be a benefit for me.

As I write this, I can see it is time for yet another talk with my doc about this.

(I am also unable to take aspirin, advil, all NSAIDs)
  12. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

FDA wants to ban what it has been pushing onto us for decades --- I'm talking about the painmaskers --- because now FDA claims to be concerned about possible liver damage? Sorry, I'm just not buying it; FDA has touted who knows how many killer drugs, advocated off-label prescribing of drugs not meant for any condition we might actually have but capable of being dragged under the "Let's Try THIS On You" ever-growing umbrella of basic non-care but lots of $$$ for Big Pharma and its' stockholders.

I want to know what FDA is going to say/do if it succeeds in this ban when people permanently end all their pain by dying. "Oh," more than likely, "That poor person had gotten addicted to Whatever and when they couldn't get it any more they decided to suicide....it's not OUR fault.." Such soaring b s.

No I'm not just ranting here; I wrote to FDA and asked what in the world it was trying to pull now, also what we who are dependent on its' products it is threatening to rip away from our hands are supposed to do then, when we still need maskers of intractable pain? Stunningly oh sure, I've gotten absolutely no response, not even the usual (paraphrasing) "We got your note and will send a reply when someone possibly feels like it..."

Such fools as FDA and the drs joined TO the FDA at the hip would make a saint throw rocks, much less a very ill person who can barely LIFT the rock to throw it, first load putative medications with creators of horrendous adverse effects and then tell us "You have to just get used to it," as if one wants to "get used to" feeling more horrible and useless and helpless than before trying The Med of the Week.

Then months to decades later, up steps FDA to proclaim "We are not going to let you have the things we practically forced you to accept however long ago it was you DID accept them because we said there is nothing else to do for you."

My Prescription Writer, when I ask him about how to treat some facet of this d'd, automatically gets up from his chair in the cubbyhole where I'm to sit waiting patiently no pun intended much, goes to his hooked-to-Big-Pharma computer and asks what to do to oops "for" me.

He comes back, beaming as if he expects to win the Nobel Prize, and says "Let's try [whatever], no it wasn't formulated for anything you say you have *(I SAY I HAVE?? But that's a subject for another time) "but someone in NowWhereVille, Utopia, said they thought it maybe helped with something or other."
    "Here, here's a prescription for you and no, I don't think your insurance will cover it but try it anyway and come back in a month and let me know how you did....if you remember you have an appt, who you are, how to find my office, things like that...."

And while we're busy banning the very things that have almost helped some of us some of the time, let's get busy and murder every shark in every sea in the world.
    I hear they attack and eat people out there in their waters looking like lunch....Well, it makes as much sense as what FDA wants to do to US.

13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I hope they don't ban Tylenol because that is my main med. I take 3/day. I agree doctors should check for liver damage but alot of people who take OTC drugs never see a doctor.

I am sure most of the Tylenol deaths are from people who don't see doctors.
  14. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

You have me in stitches!! Hilarious! and sooo true.
  15. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Bravo!! I agree 110%...I really feel like stringing together some really strong swear words, won't help but maybe I will feel better:)

16. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Second try...I'd swear I answered your note yesterday but the reply seems not to be here. That happens periodically to my notes to Board but I'm blaming some glitch in my computer. So far. : > ).

I'm so glad you got some giggles from what I wrote; except on Really Bad Days I think we have to try to have some sense of humor about these d'ds.

Unfortunately I can't feel at all giggly about what Big Pharma, FDA, NIH, CDC, drs, etc are seemingly trying to do to us. That is, make us permanently horizontal so that we'll stop yelling at them to stop making us more ill than we were before we heard and tried to believe their B S.

Nor do I have a solution that would get the attention of the Almighty "They" which seems to be everyone in any branch of medicine that isn't us and doesn't have to deal with what we do day in and day out.

Wellllll, I have a solution but it would likely get me put behind walls, tall ones, for a loooong time and I don't even want to imagine what life there would be like with no help, no understanding, and no ________ keys to the cells.

Hope this note gets to the board and sends my thanks to you!