FDA WARNING RE IMPORTED SUPPLEMENTS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

DID you all see the new warning re some imported supplements, a lot from India and China? Stocked in a lot of pharmacies and health food stores.

Many, tested at random, had some really poisonous stuff in them. Or totally useless stuff in no way resembling ingredients on the labels. This applied to vitamins also I understand, as well as herbals.

Also some USA outlets change the labels but do have to keep source printed very small on the new label.

Better to pay a little extra and be safe.

Love Anne C

2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Anne,
    While it is true that some supplement bottles are not as forthcoming as they should be about their contents, and some are downright dishonest, many of those are also from the U.S..

There is a concerted effort on the part of the Food and Drug Administration to limit supplements, especially those from other countries. The AMA is also concerned, as doctors of Chinese Medicine use herbs inported form China. People who go to these doctore take money away from Western doctors and drug companies. The FDA makes overseas distributors put warning labels on their suplements, willy-nilly, even if they don't have anything dangerous in them. It's all about money.

I think everyone should check the labels carefully for contradictions (like what is on the front not being on the back). It takes an expert to catch many of the other inconsistencies.
    I guess we all have to find a person that we trust to interpret for us.

Terry
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

About the move against natural alternatives, but the ones they listed had some terrible stuff in them. Or, maybe even worse, no real stuff at all!

I like Chinese medicines and herbs(used to own an herb farm) but I did do a check when I was out today, and noticed that all of a sudden there is a flood of some strange things on the market. Maybe due to the growing interest in alternative meds here.

I honestly look forward to the day when we can work using all types of treatments complimentary to one another, but this was a different warning to the usual blather from the FDA.

Thanks for your reply though.

Love Anne C