Fed "Rebate" is soooo unfair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by raven5000, Apr 7, 2008.

1. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

Called IRS, to see if I even needed to file a tax return this yr. I haven't met the minimum earnings requirement to file. (I've been recvg cash assistance through state welfare) So don't have to file, but asked if I would recv the "rebate". Since I haven't met the minimum income requirements for THAT either...I DON'T GET A REBATE! ANDDDd the income "cap" is around 75K! Like someone making 75K is going to NEED 300 bucks! So..leave it to the government...the ones who most need it won't get it!

Ranting in Seattle,

2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Can you get income tax credit? It is given to people with the low income bracket. I have not filed my taxes this year, yet, but I should be getting that at least, I would hope.

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2008]
  3. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

The govt. is probably afraid those of us who are poor will not go out and spend the money. (LOL of course)

It really is unfair.

4. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

I got some pretty harsh responses to this post in the fm room! Made me feel like a real "sponger". I haven't been able to work in a couple of yrs now. I finally went to social services because I was DESPERATE to get medical assistance and had run through ALL of my savings. I have worked hard all of my life and have a high IQ (you wouldn't know that now!lol) and have been an over achiever. I've always been independent and having to ask for assistance (welfare) was extrememly difficult for me. Thank GOD I got full medical and small amount of food, (which embarasses me no end at the grocery store) and cash assistance. If it weren't for my Mom, I'd be living in a cardboard box.

I don't qualify because I have not EARNED any money. As the person on the fm post insinuated, Ive just been getting "handouts' from the state.

Thanks for your two nice and helpful posts. I am just angry that as long as they're dishing out money...why not give a "here's a hand for you "beggars"..go buy yourself a steak" HANDOUT!!!

ps..I didn't dare respond on the fm board, as I'm afraid I wouldn't be very nice and didn't want to ...aggravate..anyone. (I'm a little touchy when it comes to asking for or needing help. I've had to apply for disability and I'll be d****d if I haven't been paying into that all my life and not be able to draw on it now when I absoulutely need it!

Phewwwwwwwwwww *wipes brow, takes a deep breath!!!! LMAOOOO...sorry...don't know WHAT came over me!!! hahah
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

we just got a form from the IRS saying to fill out the 1040 form they enclosed as even if we earned no money at all, by filing the return, we would be entitled to something even if we owed no taxes and had no earnings.

As we had already filed from my business (even though I earned only about $4,000)we did not respond. I think if I were you I may be inclined to just file the form anyway, even with little to fill in except zeroes, it will cost you a stamp and who knows?

We never ever claimed child credit as the IRS had said our earning were too low, and then after several years we were told we DID qualify.

You have nothing to lose. Love Annie
  6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I have been the sole supporter of my son and myself my entire life. I had to ask for help as well and I receive food stamps and medical assistance and it bugs the crap out of me as well. But like you, I've always worked hard, a lot of times I worked more than one full-time job to make ends meet and when the time came for me to ask for some help I was treated horribly.

The system sucks and I doubt it is going to get much better. It just irks me to no end that they talk about this stimulus plan to help people and the people who need it the most aren't going to see one darn penny!

Also, you are always welcome here and no one will judge you.....we all deserve better!
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Of course you've worked hard and of course you are intelligent. That's obvious from your way of writing and your past realtor job.

You are sick. You cannot work now. That is not your fault. No need to feel ashamed or guilty. It's not your fault.

Many, many of us understand and are in the same boat. It is very humbleing to ask for assistance. But, you are doing what you have to do to survive. You are courageous and a survivor.

I'm glad you came here. We are so alike! Keep posting and you'll find a whole lot of support to help you on this journey. When you begin the disability process, there is a whole lot of information on the FM board. Do a search on disability to find it.

You did the right thing by walking away from the conflict on the FM board. Don't even respond to that. People have been banned from the board because they were involved in fights. Just walk away. There's too much help here to risk getting into trouble with the moderators.

Take care.

8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Sigh, I just love those people who blame the "poor" people for world problems and "stealing" from their righteous hardworking selves. They somehow seem to ignore that the fact that about 1% of population owns about 50% plus of wealth. (the rest of wealth probably belongs to the oil companies:)?) Amazing the human mind.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but some things just don't make sense:)
  9. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

Man was I on a rant! But ..danggit..can't remember who suggested sending in the form anyway..but I did phone and talk to IRS directly about it and also my dshs caseworker. No go. But thanks for suggestion and for everyone being so polite and supportive in my RANT!!!!

and..ummm....Trump sells those steaks on QVC...Ithink they'd only cost you 3ys worth of disablilty to afford one..so when you're ready..I'll take you up on that STEAK!!! lollllll!!!

I applied for disability in Dec and have done a lot of research and also have my state dshs, long term disability caseworker who is my liason to SSD. She will help me through the first two stages if necessary but if it goes to third stage appeals process, I will then need to hire attny.

Wish me luck with that...

Man, I ALWAYS look sick..can barely walk and always spasming and moaning or crying in agony...I don't think I've heard anyone say to me "but you don't LOOK sick"! LOL...But I sure understand others who don't are still going through the same hell!

Thanks again everyone..I think you'll be seeing more of me here from now on!

Spazzing in Seattle
  10. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi raven --

i posted this on fm also, but that will prob. get deleted for getting too political, so am adding my 2 cents over here also.i understand what your saying, also, sometimes things get a little "hot" over there. nice to see you in chat--L

they also exclude college students who work all summer, make over $3000, AND pay taxes, if they are included on their parents tax return as dependents (AND parents don't get to count them as "CHILDREN"for that extra amount. Who to better "stimulate" the economy than college students!!

only the gov't could come up with something like that--they probably spent well over $2 billion to plan it all and then send INDIVIDUAL letters to all ss recipients, that is another large sum wasted (perhaps they could have posted an 800# on tv to acknowledge it, sent a mass email to ss recip, & a note with their checks, and THEN sent letters only to the ones that DIDN'T respond back to the 800#. would have saved a pile of cash.

oh, if only we were president!! i do get the fact that it is a "rebate" versus a "gift", but to so blatantly exclude so many when there is so much talk of it all around, does seem rather unfair, and perhaps they should make a one time addition to the ssi and assistance checks also, then they would be helping EVERYONE to stimulate the economy, since that is the main goal here, without having to print up all of the extra checks.

i guess politics would be the only job we could do at this point, lol, with our limitations,the hours, etc would be ideal--lets all go out and change the world!!! (JOKING!!)-L
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Raven- I can't understand why people at the CFS-FMS board would give you a hard time. It isn't fair that so many people who really need the money are being left out. Of course you can't help it that you can't work, people on that board should be able to relate to that.

12. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

Hope I got that right! It was a long few seconds between trying to reply and trying to remember your tag!! LOL

Rantin and Raven Raises hand and votes for obrnic!!!

(funny you should use that tag too! I use that a lot, maybe too much!) LOLLL

Rantin and Raven in Seattle!
  13. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

It was a challenge and took awhile, but I figured out a reason/justification/ rationalization for giving the $300 to everyone irregardless of income or government criteria.

The $300 is not coming from last years taxes or next years taxes (not with the deficits the way they are).
    The money is being borrowed.

It is generally accepted that when the goverment borrows money that the value of the existing currency goes down by inflation (the silent tax) or in comparison with other currencies.

The "wealth" of everyone in country goes down, therefore everyone should share in the "loan".

Brilliant and logical, If I must say so myself. lol

(The views expressed in this post are probably, unfortunately, solely my own:)

I posted this elsewhere, but couldn't resist posting here.

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2008]
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

is that if there were no poor, sick people then there would be an awful lot of other people out of work.

A capitalist society always needs an underclass in order to survive, so I was told in college.

A few years ago I was working as a teacher/counselor on the government mandated workfare program. This was created to help people on long term welfare move off. I managed to run such successful classes, that 25 out of each 30 people on average were able to leave welfare and move upwards with their lives.

I got fired as the agency I worked for required those welfare "numbers" in order to get funding and it was "all my fault" the numbers went down so drastically.

They made some other flimsy excuse up to fire me regarding too many sick days after surgery (I had three days off!!!) but told me to my face the real rerason!

So never feel badly about being disabled. You are personally supporting several jobs-think about it.

I also rechecked the criteria and you can count any disability money you receive when you fill in your tax return, even if it is all zeros. Anything you get over $3,000 should promote a $300 check back so it says in this month's AARP mag.