Fed up with Fighting social security

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lalania1970, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Lalania1970

Lalania1970 New Member

I am so frustrated with fighting the State of Oregon for Social Security. I am 36 and havent been able to work for over 4 years due to degenetory disc disease, fibromyalgia, need a right knee replacement among other conditions and I was denied again. I have Drs stating I cant work, 2 specilists saying I have fibromyalgia and Social Security said due to I have 10 mths sales experience that I could get a job in sales, Last time I filed 3 years ago there excuse was because of my age I could do clerical. I am tempted in writing them and telling them
    " I will make a deal with you, if you can find someone to hire me with my limitations and let me , sit, stand, lay down and sleep as needed through the day plus I am on Methadone so sleep alot then I will not fight you anymore"
    I dare them to find a job like that. They dont relize that nobody will hire me the limitations , I can only sit for about an hr stand about 15 min then I lay down or recline alot. They might not think we are disabled but we are. They dont feel our pain.
    Thanks for letting me vent on this.
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I do know your pain. On my job, how I wish there was a couch I could lie down on. The constant up and down of office work is driving me crazy, and taking its toil on my body.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Lalania1970,

I posted this on another post and just decided to copy and paste it here so you could read my response on SSD Denial.

I was just denied for the 2nd time; received my denial letter this past week. I was very upset about it at first but it weighed heavily on my mind and the more I thought about it, the more I read the letter and the contents of the letter that listed my Drs. and the dates that I suppose, SSD reviewed my medical records. SSD also stated that I did have some restrictions, da, da da, da.

I realized that first of all, a lot of important information to my case was NOT in my medical records at the time SSD reviewed them. Also, I had seen 2 more Drs. that were NOT listed in that letter.

I may be wrong, but it seems that it may be a good sign on my part because I AM going to get an attorney/representative and appeal it, not to mention the "new" medical information I will have whenever my case comes up, which was your question.

I had no idea how long it would take but after reading your post, know that it will be a long time. I just wanted you to know I am going through the same thing and also to prepare you to continue gathering ALL medical information as you go. (I learned this from my post from these nice/informative friends here).

Good luck to you with your case and as everyone advised me, "hang in there, don't give up".

By the way, Lalania, I am on methadone also but I have the opposite problems; can't sleep well.

It's fine with me for you to vent; it helps just to let it all out sometimes, also, same message to you, good luck, hang in there and don't give up,

BlueSky555
  4. joysarah

joysarah New Member

I have been reading the post here and have noticed a couple of u saying that ur on methadone. I have tried alot of things for pain , fentanyal patch, morphine, hyrocodone,soma ect and they only help a short while. I wanted to know if the meth is better. I am going to see my pain Dr tuesday and he is really very good. He has done injections as well as burning the nerves in my back.I would appreciate any feed back.
    Thanks Joy
  5. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

All I can say is it took me 6 yrs. to win.
  6. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

That's what they want you to do...

Get an attorney and fight for what is yours...You paid into it, now you need it...

I am still waiting too...Almost 2 years...2 denials and waiting for a hearing...

They should be ashamed of themselves, wasting time and OUR money like this...They should have investors, like the stock market, and have to answer to someone with a brain (cause they certainly don't have any brains)...

For me, if I get to the hearing stage, and they ask me what kind of job I think I could do, this will be my reply...

"I want your job- long vacations, long lunches, no brains, sit on your butt all day not doing anything productive, ANYONE could do that"

This system is ridiculous but we let them get away with it!

Things won't change til we change it...

I wish you well in the coming months...Get an atty you trust and get you disability...

And don't make any deals with them either...Some are being told to take less back pay and they will be approved...Not gonna happen with me...It's bad enough being 'disabled', enough is enough...

Let us know how you are doing~Alicia
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If not, get one ASAP. It took three years for me to get SSD and the atty. got the full amt. allowable under the law but without him, I would never have won.

At the hearing, the judge asked me why I couldn't take a clerical job and I told him that most employers would not let you lie down and sleep when the fatigue and pain got so bad. My atty. pointed out that one cannot predict when the fatigue and pain will get so bad that one has to go to bed. He also pointed out that some of the meds would make it impossible to function.

He asked the judge if he could question me himself and the judge agreed. He asked what would be considered leading questions in a regular court, such as, "Isn't it true that you often have to take drugs which keep you from functioning and driving?" Or, "Isn't it true that you cannot predict how you will feel and when you will need to lie down?"

Good luck to you and don't give up. Keep appealing until you win. Let us know how it is going.

Love, Mikie
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i am waiting for my court date. i was denied the first round i am also 36 so that doesnt help.i have fibro cmp 4 herniated discs. hang in there alot of us are in the same boat. charlene
  9. Rose73

Rose73 New Member

It is an typical letter and reasons. I was told because of my age too. I was 49 years old. I have appealed and now I am 51. It is hard enough to find any job at this age. It is an excuse. These illness can strike at any age.

About clerical work. I have 6 years of clerical. It is stressful, with long sitting, and standing if filing. If in a current job they train you when upgrading to another software. But to apply for job they want experience with the current software. I was told that I could do file clerk. Like I did before. I also was typing using the computer, data entry. It was 9 years ago since doing that kind of work. There is not a clerical job out there that I can do now. There was other things like there is evedence that I have a certain illness but I am on medication for it. It was degrading and I pretty near cried when I wasn't angry.

It is common to denied the first two times. Just not common but morelikely. Get a good attorney and appeal. They will have the release forms signed by you, so you just keep in touch with them of any changes, and dr. appointments. They will get the records. And they will have what is the SS file on you.

It takes along time. And it is hard. I was even adviced by the person who did my application to appeal if denied.

It is not fair and frustrating, but don't give up.

Rose
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I hope you are not going to "give up" your pursuit of
    a Diability claim due to a Standard denial letter or
    two that almost all of us claimants have received!! The
    letters are a Standard form on which they "fillin" the
    standard reason for denial that "most closely" resembles
    your situaion.

Had you received State Disability in the past? If you have,
    than I would think you have a pretty good documented case
    for your Federal Disability appeal. Have your Attorney take
    your case to the ALJ level if need be.

See: www.disabilitysecrets.com
    Best of wishes,
    MRDAD
  11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Lalania,

I meant to tell you that I did Administrative work for approximately 20 years and in the denial letter, it stated that there were mnay other jobs that I could do.

Duh, hello??? I would like to know just what. Like someone else stated, I can't sit or stand long, can't keep my mind on any 1 thing very long, loss of memory, and meds that I would think no employee in their right mind would hire me if they knew what I had to take.

Again, I was down when I received my denial letter but going on with it.

Joy, also wanted to let you know that the methadone has helped more than other things I have tried. Also had oxycontin CR but just doesn't work as well so sticking with the methadone for now. Also, just in case no one told you, this is for LALANIA ALSO, I have to break the large tablet into 4ths; no one ever told me to dissolve it , NOT to swallow it whole. I've been swallowing a 4th of the tablet whole for about 2 years now. No wonder I am having tummy problems.

Good luck Lalania and Joy,

BlueSky555
  12. deebishop

deebishop New Member

I sure know what you mean. I am 45 and I have not worked in 5 years. It has been 3 years since I filed SSD and have not been approved yet. But because I have 1 1/2 years of college in office work, They think I can do that job with all of my limitations. Yeah Right!!! NO ONE and I mean NO ONE will hire you with all the problems that you and I have. I think that SS believes that alot of people will just give up and not fight. IF I THOUGHT FOR ONE MINUTE, THAT I COULD HOLD A JOB, I WOULD HAVE NEVER FILED (SSD).
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
  13. Lalania1970

Lalania1970 New Member

Thanks all!!!! I needed to vent and get some positive feedback! You are all great part of my FMily. I had a lawyer with my first case that I ended up firing after I had my hearing with judge got denied in January and didnt find out till March. I turned her into the Oregon Bar Association asd the whole time I had her I did all the work(HMMM I thought that is why I hired her) I have now found another layer that is going to take my new case as I had to file a new case and he said if I get denied for my appeal on case tyhast is now at appelent stage in Virginia he will refer me to a co-worker in Portland that deals with that level so I am happy I found a lawyer that is actually going to work for me instead of me work for them. He has helped so far and hasnt charged me nothing. He wrote the letter for my appeal to Appelent stage and had me sign it then sent it. And dint charge me.
    I have found out by bad lawyer before MAKE SURE YOUR LAWYER YOU HIRE BELIEVES IN FIBRO AND UNDERSTANDS IT!!!!!
    AGAIN THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!