Federal law Dr. can't charge more the $197.73

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stschn, Apr 4, 2009.

1. stschn

stschn New Member

I just got my medicare summary notice. I had gone to see a Doctor who is on the cfids honor roll (and I've done more research than he has). It cost me $250 up front (wish I'd given the money to a food pantry). Today when I recieved my notice from medicare under the notes section it states:" Your doctor did not accept assignment for this service. Under federal law, your doctor cannot charge more that $197.73. If you have already paid more than this amount, you are entitled to a refund from the provider." This is a first for me anyone else seen it? I'm calling my congressmans office on monday to check it out.
  2. lea

lea Member

just recommend calling the doctor's office. I am quite they will just give you back what is owed.

good luck

3. peachums

peachums Member

Medicare says " do not pay. this item has been billed prior."
    Yet- the hospital keeps billing me and telling me they are going to turn me into collections!
    I sent the hospital the EOB from Medicare. They told me I have to get with Medicare and figure it out.
    I called Medicare but the computer was down. Medicare did tell me if the hospital continues to push this- they will get involved.
    Incompetence from some billing person is giving me a major headache!
  4. stschn

stschn New Member

Thank you I think I may have signed a paper saying Medicare may not pay. I really don't remember. I live in sonoma county calif and I have older friends that go to a podiatrists for routine trimming of toenails and it is covered. I don't know by who but I have been told it is my two friends. My congressmans office has been a wonderful help to me on many issues so I've not doubt that they would help with this as well. And believe me when a company gets a call from Congressman Mike Thompsons office the problem is take care of.

Thanks for you help on this, and the more I think about it I think I did sign the paper. I sure didn't know what a dissapointment he would be. I got so much bad infor from him that when he decided to check my BP it was 180/90.