Feedback on Lexapro for anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clawhome, Jul 8, 2008.

1. clawhome

clawhome New Member

Hi Friends,
    I just got back from the Neurologist. The Rheumatolgist I was going to for treatment of Fibromyalgia would not increase my dosage of Neurontin and would not give me a drug "Klonopin" for anxiety. After I first saw him he gave me Cymbalta. I had jerking of my whole body when taking it. I did research on the net and it is called "myoclonus". A drug other persons used was Klonopin. It blocks the jerking at night. He said that I would need to see a Neurlogist to increase the Neurontin and would not give me Klonopin. So I did and she did increase my doseage for Neurontin but would not give me Klonpin. She said it is habit forming. Instead she gave me a weeks supply of "Lexapro". I will start taking it tonight. If I don't have a bad reaction for it after a week then I have a prescription that I will fill out later.

I did some research on the net on Lexapro. There was not many good things said about it and it has allot of side effects that scare me. So I am asking if any one here has taken it. How did it help you with anxiety. I will start taking 1 10mg tablet tonight. Hug's, Carol
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was give lexapro, had the worst panic attack ever and it felt like bees going off in my head.

Remember, I am one that can not take AD's so it may work very well for you. I do wish I could tolerate AD's , I take xanax but sometimes I feel I need something more.

I was given the 10 mg and only took 1/2 so you might want to try taking a small dose in the beginning.

Good Luck let me know how you do,
  3. meowee

meowee New Member

I had been on Lexapro for nearly 4 years with excellent results. My pain dr. sent me to another clinic and they took me off the Lexapro and started me on Cymbalta. I have been on it now for one week. I really hated going off the LExapro as it helped my depression a great deal.

Supposedly, they claim Cymbalta also helps with pain, but so far I have not noticed that at all.

Good luck
  4. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. I started on Lexapro approx. 4 months ago. Prior to that I was on zoloft but the anxiety kept breaking through. I also take 1/2 milligram of klonopin twice a day. I started out on 5 mg of Lexapro (I'm very sensitive to drugs) and stayed on that dose for about 2 weeks. Then, I upped it to 7.5mg (splitting the pills). When I finally reached 10mg I didn't like the way I felt. So my dr. devised a method where I take 7.5mg on Mon, Weds and Fri and 10mg on Tues, Thurs, Sat. and Sunday. I must say it has helped with the anxiety better than the zoloft.

The only drawback that I'm having is major heartburn. I have reflux anyway, but this seems to make it worse, so now I'm on maximum strength pepcid, and sometimes I need mylanta for the break through heartburn. I've not had the weight gain that people say they experience. I think my body weight may have been redistributed (more of a belly) but I'm not over weight.

Not sure if it's doing much for pain, but I'm going through a very stressful situation right now and the Lexapro has helped eased it somewhat.

Good luck on it. And don't forget - it takes a good 4-6 weeks before you see the full results. You may get some side effects (headache, etc) in the beginning, but try to stick with it, since the side effects seem to subside with time.

5. Luvstrwberry

Luvstrwberry New Member

I did not have any luck with Lexapro. The only good thing was less crying, but I also experienced less concern about bills, housework, etc.. Not to mention it killed my sex drive. I went cold turkey just to see the difference and I started caring about things a little more (for the good and the bad) I started crying over spilled milk again, so maybe there's one out there for me or I just need an anxiety med.

6. clawhome

clawhome New Member

I took the Lexapro before bedtime last night. I was nauseous, headache, and felt very irratated. I was miserable. Will not take it again. I have not been able to tolerate most antidepressnts for some reason. My doctor won't give me Klonopin. My guess is I will have a bad reaction from it also. Anxiety will be part of my life forever. I will just have to find a way to live with it.
    Thank You all for you imput. Hug's, Carol
  7. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I have been on Lexapro for 4 years now. The first week I was nauseated. I take it at night when I am going to sleep. I use to have sever panic attacks. The kind the paramedics come to your house, but I have only had 2 in the 4 years I have been on Lexapro. The worse side effect for me was the nausea and night sweats for the first week then no more side effects. I have not had to take a tranxene in 4 years and I have had to have them since I was 20 years old.
  8. clawhome

clawhome New Member

I told my doctor that I could not tolerate Effexor, Zolft, Cymbalta. After that she gives me a perscription for Lexapro which I had a very bad night after taking that little pill. After doing some research on the net it seems that these drugs are SSRIs or SSNRI's group of drugs. Now I ask you why would she perscribe this drug after knowing what the others did to me. Help me help her. What drug can I take that is not concidered a "narcotic" that will help my anxiety? She will not give me Klonopin. She said it could be habit forming. Help!! Hug's, Carol