Feel Awful After Eating a Big Meal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Jul 13, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm in the midst of a bad cfs flare and find that the less i eat, the better i feel. when i eat a large meal, i wind up in a stupor, fatigued and brain-fogged to the max. does this happen to anyone else? any suggestions on this? when i'm not flaring, i have a semi-normal relationship with food but during flares, it's like i'm sensitive to everything. does anyone move straight to broths and raw foods as soon as they start flaring???

getting skinny,
    eddie
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I just got back from being on vacation, and I can tell you that I felt awful when I ate too much! My stomach hurt so bad that it triggered more pain everywhere! From then on I ate mostly soup and salad and felt alot better.

The long days of driving also increased my pain. I ended up adding some vicoden to my usual tramadol and neurontin, and used up alot of it, and I try to ration it out as I don't get much. Now that I am home, I am feeling a lot better pain-wise.

So, yes, I agree with you. Also, if I eat too much sugar or chocolate (which I tend to crave), I get more pain too.

Sorry, just reread your post and you must have CFS. I only have FMS, but I do notice that I am more fatigued if I eat big meals, especially if they contain a lot of carbs.

Take care, Sally
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

My doctor recommended I eat 6 small meals and it has helped.

I did the same on vaca at my daughters .

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue
  4. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

causes more of our blood suppy to be directed to our intestinal tract. Most people with CFS have a form of orthostactic intolerance. It is believed that we have low blood volumn, so when we eat a meal, and more of our blood goes to the intestinal track there is less blood being directed to other vital organ (heart, lungs, brain). That causes us to sometimes feel, faint, breathless, fatigued, sometimes burred vision, confussed, unable to think clearly, etc. And yes the heavier the meal the more apt we are to experience some or all of these symptoms. If this sound like you, you can learn more about it by doing a search on orthostatic intolerance along with CFS.
    Barb
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2006]
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I have CFS and I am the same way

I feel AWFUL if I eat too much

Almost like I am in a stupor

I eat tiny meals and snacks every two hours
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

orthostatic intolerance makes sense. i've always heard it talked about, never felt it related to me, but that's exactly how it feels - all resources are devoted to digestion with nothing left to run my body! i have a hard time getting into the habit of eating smaller meals because this only happens when i'm in a flare. i need to make a conscious effort to change my eating habits for life.

thanks everyone for thoughts on this,
    e.
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

Not any more. I have FM and Crohn's and since I switched to eating 4 or 5 little meals a day I have felt much better.

Michelle
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I'd say I feel awful after what most people consider a normal meal. I'm trying to eat smaller meals more frequently.
  9. janieb

janieb New Member

It was my pancreas. Ended up in the hospital for 5 days. I have been steadly losing weight. Finally the pain was bad enough that I went into urgent care. Refused to let me go home. The enzyme levels in my pancreas were way high and it took quite a while to get them back to normal.

Always felt better when I didn't eat.

Just in case this may be the problem with someone else.

janieb
  10. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees, esp. with all the theories about carb intolerance...

but i find i can't really do heavy meals any more and i think it's because it monopolises the blood flow to the detriment of other organs...

Also Eddie, I know you chucked in the FFC, but I was wondering if you got any relief from any of their treatments?

I'm a recent convert to the idea of treating stealth viruses...and I wonder if your problem with the FFC was that they threw too much stuff at u at once?

Cheers
    Delia
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i believe my failure with the ffc was mostly my fault. on one of my trips up to atlanta, i went out dancing which i've learned is a huge trigger for me. the next day, i had car problems and it was really hot (august...oi!). so anyway, it all equals a major flare with a couple of new symptoms that scared me. one of them was shortness of breath and chest inflammation along with terrible histamine attacks. i subsequently weaned off the hormones and anti-virals thinking that was the problem, but it didn't really make a difference. i was up and down for several months, frustrated and i never returned to treatment. i had been flare-free for the 9 months prior to treatment though, which made me wonder if the aggressive treatment didn't somehow figure into the terrible replase? i don't know.

i hear you on the stealth viruses. i'm just not entirely sold on the idea that these expensive, prescription anti-virals can eradicate the pests. they work for some people and not others. i'm thinking about seeing a local naturopath to see if there's an effective way to get at them herbally. he does immune-boosting IVs and that sort of thing. i could always try self treating with the transfer factor again. what do you think??
  12. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I'm sure there's more than one way to skin this cat...Stormyske treated her viruses the natural or alternative way....and she appears to think it's worked.

It might be a more gradual thing than blitzing them with Rx drugs.. I don't know.

My sense about the FFC is that they throw everything at u.. and hope some of it works.. I think they figure patients will only hang in there a year or so, and so for pragmatic reasons, and commercial reasons, they try and get everything done in that window.

But the point is their protocol is just a mish-mash of other protocols... Cheney's, Garth Nicholson's, Cecile Jadine's... and you can break it down.

See Ken Lassesen's For What It's Worth protocol, if u haven't already.

The other thing I just learned is taht unless you're getting good stage IV sleep (or maybe III and IV) your body cannot repair itself.

It doesn't produce human growth hormone whihc in turn produces some other substance that eradicates pathogens...

I am on sleep meds, but I dont' get stage IV on them.. which is why I am hoping that Xyrem may help me.

You've probably heard of it .. a narcolepsy drug that is showing great promise in CFS/fibro people.

Long-winded way of saying this.. but good quality sleep plus some kind of anti-viral (Rx or alternative) and immune system support may work synergistically to eliminate stealth infections.

Just what i've gleaned from my new doc...

cheers

delia
  13. deliarose

deliarose New Member

and when I think that some folks were on antibiotics for 6 months or a year before they got any results, it makes me wonder if you can really get the same effects on natural remedies/anti-virals.

Of course, if you dont' have insurance, it's anotehr ball game entirely.

for myself, I'm at the limit of my endurance. I have begun to see results and I just want to finish the process. I'll take whatever I have to...

I know Ken Lassesen said if you're not willing to do the antibiotics or anti-virals.. you'll only see minimal improvement on the protocol he has pulled together.

Just his 2 cents. But he seems to be in full remission.

Delia
  14. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I just got back from my in-laws where we had a huge meal, and I swear I felt AWFUL afterward!!! "Stupor" defines it pretty well! I attributed it to the withdrawals I am going through but didn't even think about it being related to the food consumption. I will have to keep that in mind.
  15. place

place New Member

I feel my best when I eat raw/whole foods.

I eat two banana's for breakfast,2-3 cups of mixed fruit for lunch and then for dinner my choice, since it late at night and I am trying to sleep anyway, I tend to eat more processed foods.

I have been eating this way for several months, and it has really made a difference in my energy.

After each meal, I got really tierd and some what sick, now I feel great after each meal.

16. Slidergirl1

Slidergirl1 New Member

just eating at all.

Doesn't matter what it is, healthy or not my stomach just

isn't happy.

Slidergirl1
  17. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i've been eating like a bird the last couple days and so far i've avoided the post-meal stupor. this illness can be so confusing, i get all caught up in fears of food allergies, carb intolerance, etc., when the gut problems seem to be largely a matter of low blood volume?! well, i still can't do dairy so it's probably a blend of problems but i'm definitely sticking to small meals. i knew there was a reason restaurants gave me panic attacks!

delia, i suppose famvir is the prescription anti-viral of choice, yes? i don't have insurance but famvir is available through low income patient assistance so i could probably get a script from my doc. i was on valtrex at the ffc. they really wanted me on famvir instead but i didn't qualify for assistance at the time. that might be my next step.
  18. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I'm wondering if Valcyte or valganciclovir isn't the way to go. Dr. Martin Lerner in Detroit uses it..and a Stanford researcher had great results in a small trial he did..

Some FFC docs are using it.. I'm not sure what teh pros and cons are between all the different anti-virals...

Would love to know...