Feel crappy right after lunch every day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ironspine, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Every day after lunch I suddenly feel like all the life was sucked out of me and I need to go lay down (I have FMS) and I start aching. I suppose this is food related, but I was wondering if anyone else feels this way. I know that most people feel like lunch time is nap time but this is worse.
    Thanks for answering!
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

wow funny(not haha)you should mention this. I have started to notice that after I eat I start feeling the same way you are mentioning!

I tend to avoid eating because know I'm going to feel yucky and sometimes get bad stomach pains. So far havent been able to tell if foods are causing this but sure they are.

Try keeping a log of foods see if you notice a difference. Thinking pasta and biscuits triggered me the other night.

hope you feel better
  3. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

I've noticed the same thing. I feel like all my energy is drained and I get very achy.
  4. bakeman

bakeman New Member

me too. when i first was sick, this symptom was as severe as you could imagine. this happened for 4 years after each and every meal. i never figured it out what it was. i was thinking mito or brain related but really have no idea.
  5. Brownie08

Brownie08 New Member

I was just thinking the very same...I just finished lunch. Soup and Salad...and my head is full of pressure and I want to go lay down and take a nap. this happens 9 our of 10 times....
    What is it?
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes! this was a problem for many years but then went away. i am still very sick with CFS, though.

i think its all the energy required by your body to digest food. also maybe some carbs or insulin issue...i dont know...

7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I get extremely tired about 2pm. Can't keep my eyes open, it doesn't matter how late I sleep in either. And I feel feverish most of the time also. I feel like I have an elephant stepping on me, haha! It is hard to take care of my girls...ages 5 and 2 when I feel so very tired.

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Without looking at a clock I can tell when it's between 2 and 3. I am exhausted. I mean can't keep my eyes open either. But I'm at work so I kind of have to. I start aching like mad and it is evident to everyone around me, I have a harder time walking, can't help but make the groaning noise when I get up from my chair.

I NEVER eat a big lunch. It's better for me if I eat a few small snacks through the morning, or day - I have started bringing just a little tupperware thing of soup.

If you're at home, then lay down - if you're at work, I make a pot of coffee or some tea and have a cup, - or I do something simple like go brush my teeth to feel like I'm starting my day over (strange?)

I've had this problem for YEARS.
  9. toddm

toddm New Member

I stopped eating lunch and now go to my car and take a 20 minute power nap. It's the only way to get through the afternoon.
  10. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have started eating a bowl of cheerios before going to work then having a snack, usually yogurt, mid morning then skipping lunch.
    If I eat, I am so worn out I can barely make it till quitting time.
  11. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

Mine happens whenever I eat. I've noticed that immediately after eating my stomach hurts and I am miserable. I have had to start eating way smaller portions as I get fuller quicker. Eating smaller portions hasn't really helped all that much. I have had my tummy checked out so many times, I'm afraid that the docs will think I'm a hypochondriac..every time they just tell me it's IBS. I get this overwhelming urge to sleep in the afternoon, to where I have to give in, I've actually fallen partially asleep at my desk (when I was working) and had the head nods as well. I got to where I'd have to take a break and go outside for fresh air to help wake me up. I wish I had some better tips for you, but I did want to say that I understand what that's like.

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2009]
  12. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

I would get so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes open. I finally figured out that it was a reaction. It happened w/ gluten and that would also cause severe stomach/intestinal pain. At one point after going GF I was baking w/ potato starch and started getting sleepy after eating anything w/ potatoes and having severe joint pain because I was eating too much of it. I cut them out for a while and can have them occasionally now. I react terribly to gluten and it will always be that way. Wheat seems to affect my FM more than barley etc., but I don't know if that is because it contains more gluten or if it's just wheat that affects my FM. Either way I can't have it.

It took me forever to figure it out, but getting sleepy after eating to where I can't stay awake can always be traced back to a food intolerance. I started keeping a food diary, reactions etc. and it's not too hard to find the source if you're diligent. Helps to eat more basic while you're doing it. It took me 8 years to figure out mine and only found it with the help of an NP.

13. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

When I eat too much sugar I feel awful.
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

I do much better if I limit all white carbs and bread, but that isn't easy to do. I do know that a plate of pasta will put me to sleep. :) Should eat it at bedtime, huh? However, it also adds pounds to my person very quickly.
  15. hopabout

hopabout New Member

Hi, I am hopabout.
    Its a long writing so go on the message boards and look near yours where I posted an answer to BLUE on superfoods. Its the long one from hopabout.

YOU Will feel better, I promise.

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

OMG I do every single day it doesn't matter what I eat. I am so lucky that I get an hour for my lunch break at work and I always take a half an hour nap or I wouldn't make it....seems most days I am hanging by a thread anyway but still it helps me to get that little nap in.

17. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i read that most CFS patients are hypoglycemic.

btw, infection can cause hypoglycemia too!

18. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

break at my evening job and I try to bring somethjing light to eat--cereal w/banana, apple with string cheese, and I go out to my car to eat my snack and get away from the all the noise--definately makes a diiferenace even though it is a short break.