Feel like a failure, can't take Mirapex or other med's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Nov 30, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

everything I try it seem's I get all the bad side effect's with little to no benefit's.

i take several supplement's and would prefer to be "all" natural, but still need muscle relaxer's and pain med's ( which doc said he no longer want's me to take).

I have tried Lyrica, nuerontin, Evail, Effexor, Cymbalta, etc., now Mirapex. I think my doc doesn't believe me about them not helping. He act's like I just want pain pills.

I have only asked for a stronger pain med Lortab,1x and that was about 8 mos. ago, and still have refill's left.

When I ask him if he has other hard to treat patient's he never answer's, so i feel like a freak and a failure.

I will continue Mirapex 1 more week, but the headaches, insomnia, constipation and sweating are awful and that's just 1/2 of .125mg. I have even done 1/4 tablet.

I just feel like my own doctor has given up on me. And at the same time for fear of the DEA won't give me anything else. Doesn't like to discuss pain med's at al. I went to a pain clinic that didn't want to talk pain med's either.

I go to P.T., do exercises, eat right, take supplement's and anything else I think will work, so it's not like I am not trying.

Well I'll stop complaining now, I just wonder if I am the only one, you'd think so with the look's I get from my rhuemy.

Take care,
    Claudia
  2. mellaart1011

mellaart1011 New Member

Hi,

don't give up on trying things, to find the right combination for you, is never easy,

I wish you could see my chinese doctor, he gets everyone on the right track and asks all the right questions to get amazing results

Maybe you need to get a fresh new doctor that takes some different approaches

take care, hope you feel better soon
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks.
    I am looking for a new doctor,one who is interested in research and open-minded.

Finding one is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Glad you have a good one.:)

Claudia
  4. Sometimes you have to give new meds time as the side effects wear off? I know some pills I cannot take also though.
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I try to stay on them at least 2 weeks if the side effect's are bad, that is usually all I can stand.

I know a month or two is better, but when I am so miserable 2 wks is my limit.:)

I will try Mirapex 1 more week, if I can. I really want something to work.

take care,
    Claudia

Really just want to know if there is anybody like me. I guess my doctor is right, I am the only one.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I am the same way! I react so severely to medication that the pain and symptoms of FMS & CFS almost feel like the lesser of two evils for me!

I know I could use to be on pain meds to make my life easier but I dread all the side effects that I get.

I've also hit a wall with medication for insomnia.....literally nothing works. My doctor pretty much wants me to just go elsewhere at this point. I guess it's frustrating not feeling as if you can help.....but also frustrating being the person who is so damm sensitive and in need of help......NOT AN EASY SITUATION ON EITHER END.

I've been thinking of trying Mirapex myself. I was supposed to see my doc today but was too sick to get out of bed to get there. Now I'm not sure I want to try this med after reading how you respond and someone else who was having hallucinations......scary.

So, "no" you are not the only one this sensitive, but "yes" it is beyond frustrating to get help being this sensitive and in need of RELIEF.

I continue to search out natural remedies so I can have SOME hope!

Hang in there, obviously your body doesn't respond to Mirapex.....that might not be such a bad thing either.

scapper
  7. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

You've reached the end of the line with rheumatologists. It's NOT your fault. Some doctors get frustrated because they have like this list of medications that 'should' work for FMS, but the truth is, there is no set medication regime that will work for everyone. It sounds like you've been willing to try everything that he's thrown at you. It's NOT your fault that these meds haven't worked for you. I'm sure if wishing made it so, then they would have.

You should really go to a pain management doctor. I've been through the same thing with several rheumatologists. I've ended up feeling their dissapointment (in me) that these meds haven't worked and now they don't know what to do.

If you need pain meds, then you need them. You're just trying to function. A P.M. doctor instead of a clinic (where they might get a lot of drug seekers, i don't know), might be more helpful.

There are people from all over the country and world here. If you do a search, or post a topic, looking for a good doctor in your area, you might be able to get some referrals.

8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I am so sorry you are like me, but so glad I'm not alone.:)

I know the doctor is just as frustrated as i am, he get's no satisfaction of helping me. But I am the one in pain, so I don't feel too bad for him!:)

Mirapex is helping some here, so I would give it a try, you never know. That's why I keep trying thing's. i'm afraid the one thing I don't try will be the one that would have worked, so I keep trying.

i would get the lowest dose ( .125mg) and either 1/4 or 1/2 it. That's what I have been doing. i will try it for another week and see.

I am trying to find a doctor willing to try new thing's and do research, mine is not interested in learning anything new. His theory sleep good, get P.T. that's it.

Let me know how you do on Mirapex if you try it. I wish you the best in finding a treatment.
    Claudia
  9. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one to burn out the rhuemy's.:)

I went to a Spine and Pain Clinic ( more like a regular doc office, not sure why they called a clinic).

they did do MRI'S and EMG's, etc. but only got me P.T. and muscle relaxers. No pain med's. Didn't dx FM either.

saw a new ad they have , now they are treating FM!

I have asked in the past about posters from nashville, tn area and didn't get a response.

I tend to not get many responses, I guess I ask to specific of questions.

I was looking for an endocronologist or any MD that is a researcher, willing to try new thing's.

I've tried google and FM board's and called hosptials that have trials, and they give you the run around.

Thanks for the help.
    Claudia
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Claudia - I'm sorry people haven't been as helpful to you as they could have been. I felt bad about that, so I pulled out one of my fibro books that has some web references in the back for 'good doctor lists' and this particular one had a few referrals for Nashville doctors. Have you heard of any of these?

http://www.sover.net/~devstar/list6.htm#TN

I know it can be really frustrating to find a good doctor who is willing to work with you. I live near D.C. and i've been to some of the supposedly 'top' Chronic Fatigue and Fibro doctors in the nation, and they have been completely unhelpful. The head doctor at Children's Hospital actually told me just to 'deal with it'. It's ridiculous sometimes! But luckily after going through many toads, I think I have found a doctor who is at least willing to discuss the research I've done with me and let me get the meds I need to get by. I really don't see how anyone with Fibro could function without some type of pain medicine.

I really hope you can find someone :)
  11. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Please don't feel like a failure. It isn't you it is just your body and your doctors need to try harder.

Think of it this way, if a particular med worked for everyone there wouldn't be multiple meds all for the same thing. You just have to try to find the right protocol for you.

Prickles makes a great suggestion, since you are so sensitive to drugs a TENS machine might be a great alternative.

Don't give up and good luck,

Shar
  12. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

hayleycole-yes I have been cutting it in half. Will try for another week, more if these terrible headaches and insomnia go away. I want it to work for me, but the side effect's just intensify my exisitng issues so it's hard.

I know you have done well, did you have any neg side effects ( besides the hairline:)If so how long before they subsided?

prickles-tried a TENS machine, makes my muscles spasm more.

Butterfly83-Thank you for lookig that up for me. ave gone to the "best FM" doc in Nashville, he was rude, didn't listen and laughed when I said I couldn't work and was thinking of filing for disability. I will re-check the list again though.:)

shar- Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks everyone.

Claudia

13. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I do have a good P.T. I go to.

I also take alot of supplements that help. Unfortunately it is just not enough to do the trick yet.:)

I appreciate your help though.:)

Claudia
  14. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Don't worry Claudia. We've got hundreds of heads to put together here. We're bound to find you something that helps a little. ;)

As far as pain meds go, have you ever discussed Ultracet, or Ultram with your doctors? Ultracet was the ONLY pain med that my rheummy would give me, but its something i've stuck with for several years. It's the only (or one of the only) non-narcotic pain relievers out there. My rheummy only allowed me two a day (1 in morning, 1 in evening). After a few years when that really wasn't helping all that much, and i had gone through the process of going to a pain management doctor, he looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was only allowed 2 Ultracets a day. He told me in the scheme of pain medicine, Ultracet is a like a super Tylenol. (P.S. You could really take up to 6 a day).

So if you have trouble getting any pain meds, that might be one that doctors wouldn't be so spooky about. The way i try to explain it to my doctor is that the Ultracet kind of helps with the underlying deeper achy muscle pain, and the Hydrocodone I take helps with the kind of surface throbbing type.

Anyway, don't give up that you'll find someone understanding to help. It may take some time, and you may have to take a break from doctors inbetween (every 6 months or so i just get sick of all of them so i just decompress for awhile till I feel like going back into the circus of medical practioners).
  15. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I did ask about ultracet a long time ago and was given darvocet instead. I have Lortab, had to almost beg for it for migraines that don't respond to migraine med's. I wonder how Ultram compares to Lortab?

i may ask for it again. i think I am so burnt out, i don't want anything to do with doctor's for a while.The thought stresses me out.

I really appreciate all the great mind's at work on this board, sharing, and trying to help.

I have been off this board a long time, as I can't type too much ( I way over did it today:)but like to hear real life experience with doctor's, med's etc.

I don't feel so alone, i get validated and get good ideas.:)

For all those thing's thanks everyone.:)

Claudia
  16. Musica

Musica New Member

I'm sorry you are so medication sensitive. Don't feel like a failure for having a hard time on Mirapex, though. Bad side effects are common so a lot of people can't tolerate it, especially at the higher levels being used for FMS.

I hope you find something to give you relief - and especially, that you can find a doc who gives you the respect you deserve!
  17. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Claudia, I know just how ya feel I too can not take most meds cause of the side effects. I'm on the Guai Protocol and I'm doing better. At first I was worse but now I'm better. I only take Ultram ER (for pain) and Guai. I've got alot of other stuff but I got sick of popping pills! It's hard and costs so much $ looking for the right things to help get well. I wish you the very best and hang in there-keep looking ;}
    Love Dee50
  18. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Hang in there woman!!!

It's all very overwhelming when you have to go through the process of feeling horrible (from side effects) on top of your "usual sickness" to find out that something doesn't work. IT TAKES A LOT OUT OF US.

So, I try something new, if I react too severely, I pull back and recover physically (and emotionally from the disappointment of it all) and then gather up the strength to TRY AGAIN.

And a lot of the time, I just need a break from trying at all.

So, my point (haha), YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

I'll keep my eye out for your posts in the future :)

scapper