Feel like I am at the end of my rope here.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Sep 29, 2006.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have only been coming here for a few weeks now but I need some help. I have been having horrible mood swings for the last month. I just moved and I think that is where it is steming from. I have no clue how long it normally takes to adjust but I don't seem to be adjusting at all. I wanted this move and now I am thinking it was a bad idea. I have been struggling to get through every day. Having crying episodes and panic attacks etc. It is awful. Today I am having both. I have been crying all morning and have horrible anxiety. I don't know what to do. I guess I should find a therapist but I feel like I can't function let alone leave the house to go to a therapist. Plus I am not sure if my insurance covers that and I don't have any money to spare now that we have moved. (I will check with them today)

I tried green tea yesterday after reading a bunch about it. I thought it would help my mood and relax me. I thought it was maybe helping. I drank one cup of tea that I had used two decaf green tea bags in after breakfast. I seemed to be calmer and relaxed. So I drank another cup with just one tea bag before bed. Well I dont know what happened but I was up a lot of the night with horrible sweats and chills and a horrible headache. Felt like my head was going to explode. Was this the tea? Does green tea have detox effect? Maybe the green tea was releasing toxins from my body...I dont know how else to explain it.

That totally frustrated me. Now I have been upset all morning because of last night. I am thinking I am struggling to get through each day and I do a simple thing to try and help myself that is supposed to be gentle and easy and no side effects and I seem to have had a reaction of some sort. So now what do I do? It seems like I have a reaction to everythng! Now green tea? How am I supposed to get over this depression and anxiety if I can't even handle green tea let alone medication? All I know is that I need something because I can't take this anymore.

Sorry just needed to vent and not sure what to do.
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Sorry you are so down. Just thought I would reply to show you we care.

I hope brighter days are around the corner.

Remember your part of our FM/CFS family.

FMily member
    Bruinz
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

When you get to the end of that rope you have to tie a knot and hold on!

I don't know about green tea, but I'm sure you will get some help from others on that.

You might try meditation for the emotional upset. Wish I could help more.

Peace to you.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

I know while you are feeling like this it is hard to relax, have you tried relaxation tapes/cd's you can get all sorts of them like guided immagry (spelling?) or gradual muscle relaxation (tense and relax your muscles one at a time all up your body). Another technique I have used while in a real state is to sit comfortably in a quiet room close your eyes and take 4 seconds to breathe in through your nose and 5 seconds to breathe out through your mouth (actually count while you do it). This can help to refocus your mind.

Try to keep your chin up, it will get better

x
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you all...it really does help to have you all here and know that you understand. I managed to calm myself long enough to call the insurance company. That was a positive. They said they cover mental health for 45 visits a year and all I have to pay is the co-pay each time which I think I can swing. I guess now I just need to find someone in my area and be able to get myself to a point where I am not too overwhelmed to leave the house.

Someone mentioned mediation and/or relaxation cd's. It is funny cause I was just looking into that. I didn't order any yet because there were so many I didn't know which ones to get. I did order some books on CFS/depression before that. They won't be here until next week though. I think I will try to get some of those cds to help relax though. That sounds like a good idea. I guess I should try some breathing exercises now too so that I can try to calm down. It helps to talk to you all though.

THANK YOU ALL
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

It's hard to make those calls when we need it most! Now that you know insurance will cover, call your local mental health office and see if you can get a good referral. My rhumie tells me there are therapists who specialize in working with people with chronic pain conditions. If you could find one of those that would rock! In the mean time hang tough..
    If the green tea gave you a weird reaction I wouldn't try it again to find out if that was it. Chamomile tea is supposed to be relaxing.
    Now one of the girls would talking about Menopausal symptoms. I agree with her that you are much too young. However when I was about 25 I started getting night sweats, emotional jags etc. They did a hormone test and it turned out that I had a hormonal imbalance. My estrogen was dropping before my progestoral picked up leaving me with absolutely no hormones for 3 or 4 days a month.
    Green tea is supposed to be a detoxer.. so I don't know maybe that was it..
    Regardless, you hang tough.. we are here for you!!
    Love,
    Dona
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Dona,

I too think I am too young for menopause especially since the women in my family seem to hit that late. My mom turns 56 in a month and she still hasn't hit it. She is definitely on the verge though.

I was also wondering about a hormone imbalance since I really am all over the place. I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago to get things checked out. He did a Complete Blood Count and checked my vitamin and iron levels and thyroid. He said everything was normal...as if I hadn't heard that before. Apparently I am a perfectly healthy sick person haha. Would a hormone imbalance have shown up in that work up or is that something you have to do separate? I think that is why he checked my thyroid.

Also I think I will try Chamomile tea instead. I have had green tea before and don't think I have had a problem but I don't think I usually have three tea bags in a day. Maybe it was too much. I think it was a detox effect. I get night sweats periodically since I have had CFS but this seemed different. Esepcially with the headache. Who knows!

I haven't cried in at least an hour I think so that is good. I still feel very jittery though. I did some breathing to calm down and kept on this board to distract me. I also called a counseling office to make an appointment...big step for me. BUT they put me on hold an then I got cut off. When I called back I got the "we are busy but leave us a message" message so I suppose I will just call back later. Hopefully still have the guts.

I guess I will try to do what Laura said and just take it one day at a time because I was getting so overwhelmed thinking how am I going to keep this up and for how long etc.

Thanks Again EVERYONE!
    Pam
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You know, it was a blood test that they took, but I don't think it would show on normal blood panels. I tried to get one done recently and was told I'm too old for it to be accurate! : ( When did I get old?? lol!

Ok, now one thing I have learned with cfs is that we do run random fevers, you may have been running a fever. I get migranes now that I didn't when I was diagnosed 10 years ago. It seems like every time we think we have it figured out we get some new random thing going on.

I had panic attacks for years.. still get them now and then. Breathing helps a lot. They can be really scary.
    I went through therapy for years on this.. hope you are feeling better this afternoon..

Hang tough..

Hugs,
    Dona
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Have you tried White Tea ? I think it has a smother taste .It also seems to calm me. Green tea depending on the maker is to bitter. They both are suppose to detox.

I have made a lot of moves and I think you are stressing after the fact instead of during .I do that .Everything hits me afterwards. Then my Body just goes crazy with pain and my bowels get a mess. I'm that way when there is an emergency I handle it, then when its over I fall apart.

Try to rest and watch your diet and give the tea another chance it may level your nerves faster. Drink lots of water. Also get some fresh air.

DO NOT try to unpack everything so fast. Go out and enjoy your new surroundings this weekend. Start making some new memories and look for new special places . You can take the time to unpack later. Go see a movie .Do things that you can rest at and will bring a calmness around you.

I hope this helps you. It takes me at least 3 months to get settled into a new place. I do not like change but that's been my whole life. I'm an Army wife so we have moved Lots. Good luck and let us know what helps you.

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Face it, we just don't handle change well at all. I think you'll be OK once you get settled in. Are you unpacked and do you have things "in their place"? This is important to us.

As for the green tea, I have no idea. If it was caffeinated that could account for it but other than that........

How 'bout you just don't drink it. ;>)
    Hugs,
    Marta
  11. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I just wanted to tell everyone THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the support yesterday! It really meant alot to me that all of you are here and offering encouragement. I am fairly new to this board and you all are so wonderful. I seem to be in a bit better spirits today so far but still have a ways to go. I am sure many of you are correct and that it is just the move that has got me so out of wack. I guess I am finding out that we don't handle change very well with this illness...at least in my case.

Thank you also Carebelle for giving me your first hand advice on the moving. Sounds like you have been through it many times. I was relieved to see that I am not the only one taking time to adjust. It made me feel better to hear you say that it can take 3 months or so to adjust to a move.

I will definitely be taking a lot of the advice that I was given here.

Thank You all so much for the support!
  12. cfids91

cfids91 New Member

I think it's very important to contact a counselor. The pain you're experiencing is awful. It's also scary and ultimately could be dangerous. Please continue to call.

At the same time, the counselor may wish to completely rule out medical issues. At 31, being peri-menopausal may be unusual but certainly not unheard of and your mother's experience with menopause may not have anything to do with what your experience will be.

What about your doctor? I know you said you went for blood tests but if you're having strong mood swings and panic attacks, would your physician be helpful in any way? Are you able to speak with him or her on the phone to find out? You may also be able to do that with a counselor.
    Does your insurance have a patient advocate that can assist you with navigating the many different types of counselors available?
    I found the best counselor when I asked for someone to help me deal with living with a chronic illness.

All of that being said, you know what you need to do for yourself. Please do it or get someone to help you do it.

One last little offering....sometimes with this illness things just go wrong at times. When it's very bad, I do WHATEVER feels good for me at the time. Nothing I SHOULD do. It's usually different every time. Read in bed, watch an old movie, get delivery food, take a long warm bath, -whatever is going to make you feel good that you usually feel guilty doing.
    DO IT! It may help and it's good for you.
    You're definitely not alone.
    As Nemo said, "Just keep swimmin', swimmin', swimmin'....."