Feel lousy with below normal temperature

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jul 18, 2009.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

Does anyone else have my problem? I feel more exhausted than usual, and think it is because of my sub normal temperature. I have had a bronchial thing in the past month, but am well into recovery. I actually feel worse with the temperature issue than the infection. Also have Hashimoto's thyroid disease along with my fibromyalgia. Any thoughts on what I can do? I have the usual fibro aches and pains, but the exhaustion is the real crippler.!
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have Hashi with low body temperature, too. I am always freezing. You can ask the doc if upping your thyroid med might help alittle. Sometimes with Hashi they undertreat and you won't feel well until they get it right. You can try magnesium for the fibro pain. I usually feel better if I take a good dose of magnesium everyday for it, but it takes at least a month or more till you feel it working.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

With Hashi's it's helpful if your doc treats according to your free T3 level rather than by TSH. Most docs treat by TSH. Have you had a recent free T3 level run, and if so, where did your results fall relative to the reference range?

Infection does, among other things, "exercise" the adrenals, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. Malfunctioning adrenal glands can make thyroid problems & temp regulation issues more difficult. You might ask your doc to run a low-dose cortrosym test to eval your adrenal function, but in my neighborhood this test wouldn't be run unless you were brought into the ER with full-blown adrenal insufficiency crisis.

If you think you may have some form of adrenal issue complicating your Hashi's, you may find the book, Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson, helpful. There is a certain amt of self-care that can be done to assist the adrenals.

On a final note, if you've been on a course of antibiotics, you may find it helpful to use a probiotic, either active yogurt culture or supp, on a daily basis. Immune system imbalance can contribute to exhaustion, and probiotics are a gentle way to start to address that.

Best wishes.
  4. klarry

klarry New Member

These suggestions are helpful. It may be time for me to see my endocrinologist again. I am taking probiotics, so I hope my body is in harmony. I have not been on antibiotics for at least a year. Somehow I feel destined to a life of exhaustion. Nature's cruel trick for all of us Fibro patients. Hope everyone feels better!
  5. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I hear you very much.

I've gone to my dr and tried to tell him more times than I can count "I have a fever."
    He looks at temp-taker's notes and always says the same thing: "But your temperature is below normal. You don't have a fever."

And this is the same fool who lied when he told me he was familiar with ME/CFS/FMS and knew how to treat it.
    Sure he is and sure he does. And I just won the lottery, too.

If you & your dr think the low-temp problem might be more so or worse than what we with the d'd usually get, perhaps checking your thyroid and/or adjusting the med might help??

Good luck!

6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I've fought many battle too over the GP and low body temp. 96 and sometimes 95.5°F. Dr. Teitelbaum says that the hypothalamus is the true thermostat of the body. Dr. Andrew Cutler says that it has an affinity for mercury. My mercury levels were high.

I chelated for mercury using Alpha Lipoic Acid and DMSA and got the levels down to normal, but still low body temp. Dr T also mentioned that the hypothamumus can trip like a circuit breaker.

The hypothalumus send a signal to the pituitary (TRH) and then pituitary sends TSH to the thyroid.

I was told by my fatigue doc to titrate my thyroid dose up and got it up to 120mg and finally I was up to +/- 98.6°F!

I read some info about David Brownstein M.D. regarding Iodine deficiency. I started on Lugol's Iodine (2%) 4 drops/day. 3 weeks later, I started sweating, nervous, body temp 99.1°F. Doc told me to step down onthe thyroid. Wow.

2 weeks later body temp was up again. Dropped down to 60mg. I now hover real close to 98.6°F. It feels great to be warm again.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Please consider a chronic borrelia burgdorferi bacterial infection (lyme) as a cause of your illness.

In this paper by a lyme expert, Dr B. discusses subnormal body temp as a symptom of classic lyme.....see page 26......

Lyme and common associated coinfections such as babesia, bartonella and ehrlichia can work to cause a domino effect of negative events such as adrenal abnormalities, other hormone problems including thyroid problems....and many other things.

It is known to cause chronic fatigue syndromes and fibromyalgia syndromes.

If I can help you in any way please post for me anytime on the Lyme board.
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr. Brownstein MD says that he uses very dilute amounts of Iodine to bump the other halogens (chlorine, florine, bromine) out of the iodine receptor sites. How dilute is really up to how much you can tolerate.

Reference: Book: "Iodine: Why you need it Why you can't live without it", now in its 4th ed.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found some interesting information on Wiki.

"Between 96.0 to 99.0 is normal for most people. Check with your doctor for ranges above and below these figures...or if the temp is consistently at 96."

I was surprised that there can be this much variance. So having a low body temp MAY not be indicative of Thyroid problems but not necessarily. However, best to have this checked out if you think you may have thyroid problems.

Also there are normal variations throughout the day. Your temperature is lower in the morning.

The best way to diagnose Thyroid is by the TSH and antibodies,reversse T3 and other's I am too foggy to rememver. If you diagnose yourself by body temperature alone you may not be getting the correct amount of thyroid medication if that is needed.

Interesting information.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2009]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for mentioning the board. I have read parts of the book but it is not for me as far as treating my thyroid.

I have faith in my doctor's way of diagnosing Thyroid. I have always had the complete panel since 27 years ago.

Interestingly enough, when I was diagnosed with hypo, I had no symptoms that I noticed both before and after getting on the synthroid. But this my experience.

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2009]