Feeling Better in Some Ways

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm on my third week of Trinessa birth control pills. I started to feel it when I hit the light blue pills, not the white ones. And now I'm on the dark blue. I have more stamina! Not what I would call energy, but I'm lasting longer. I can do more. And I'm not as severely lightheaded at all. I'm not losing the amount of water I was losing before, so I'm not getting the NMH/POTS like I was. There's a big different. And I've started some exercise for my back, which is still horrifically bad. I never, ever could have done any exercise prior to the Trinessa.

I would say the combo of the Trinessa and the Levothyroxine are what's helping, plus I'm taking acidophilus/probiotics about two or three times a day. And I take a magnesium if I get the muscle spasms/flutters. Flexeril for my back, it also seems to let me sleep more deeply. I take tylenol/pamabrom (diuretic) for my back pain and it helps. And that's very interesting because you would think that if you have NMH/POTS, the last thing you would want to take is a diuretic, but it's not killing me with lightheadedness. Maybe it would if I wasn't on the Trinessa.

My main motivation for the exercise is my back. I've got a disc that is just killing me in my lower back and I'm hoping that if I get the weight down and build up those muscles, I can make it better. I am amazed that I can do any exercise at all. I had one severely bad flare this week, but only because a neighbor was torturing me. He started with the loud stereo at all hours and I had to go to the building's management and complain. And so far, I've had a few days of quiet. But once I slept, I was better.

There is definitely a hormonal connection to this disease for me. There's a huge difference. I'm just hoping I can keep it up.

I still feel brain fogged. Like I don't feel right. Like someone has a wool blanket over my brain. I wouldn't say I'm energetic at all. But that I have the stamina to do more. And I'm lasting longer.

I just wish I could fix this back pain. Sharp lower right, it's a disc and it goes down the right leg and hip, but deep muscle pain there. I hope if I keep up what I'm doing it will eventually get better.

2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I am super happy for you. Thanks so much for sharing your progress, it gives me hope. I am sorry to hear about your back though. I hope you can find relief for it soon. gentle (((HUGS)))
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Great news!! I think there is definitely a hormonal link for a subset of people.

I have been meaning to ask my PCP what she thinks of me getting endocrine tests as hormone imbalances run in my family, especially Graves disease which I have been tested for but not sure what else I have been tested. Unfortunately, I not only forget to ask her but to write it on my list of things to ask her.

I don't know how much this factors in with my FM, but I certainly would not be surprised even though it appears that mine is more neurological.

I swear at times, I still get PMS. Add that to the Fibro Fog and....., well it's not a pretty picture. LOL.

4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Well, it only makes sense that if we are low in nutrients, we'll be low in hormones and everything else. And for many of us, our periods get messed up from the disease. Correcting the hormone problem does help alot. But it doesn't fix it. Like when I went off the pills a few years ago, everything came back within a month. And my periods were screwed up again. So this is the kind of thing where you have to keep taking it.

I spent nearly half my life with doctors continuously ignoring me every time I said my periods were irregular and I wanted to be normal. They would act like it was normal to bleed every day of the month or to not get it for two months. It's not normal and it's only natural that your body will feel rotten if you have a hormone imbalance. They should listen and immediately treat the imbalance instead of letting us go on suffering for years. They did the same thing to me with the thyroid. I'd go in and tell them I had pain in the throat and I'd show them where it was. And instead of any of them thinking it could possibly be a thyroid problem, I'd just get a stupid answer that they didn't know what it was. It took half my life to get someone to run the antibody test and find Hashimotos.

It just makes me wonder what else are we low in that is being continuously ignored.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better in some ways. I'm sorry about
    your back pain , hope that you find some relief from that soon.

Thanks for sharing what is working for you, I am researching and trying to
    figure out what to try for energy next~ darn fibro is getting the best of me right now.

I to wonder what the hormonal connection is to these dd. I understand what you mean
    between stamina and energy. Hope your day is going good today.

Very gentle hugs for you, Pansy

6. spacee

spacee Member

Thrilled, really. Very sorry you had to suffer so long before anyone would listen.

So many of us have to figure it out for ourselves and then try to get some one to hear us.

Glad you are feeling better.

7. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

Do you have PCOS? A friend of mine has it and birth control pills helped her immensly. I have migraines and can't take the pill anymore but I do believe our hormones play a major role in many of our symptoms.

Are you able to go swimming? I'm supposed to start water aerobics. My insurance is willing to help pay for a membership. Maybe you could look into it.

Glad you are noticing a difference. Big or small, a difference is a difference.

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'm so glad to know that you are finally having some improvements. : )

And, I absolutely agree that there is a hormonal connection in this whole mess (which makes sense since ME is considered a neuroENDICRINEimmune disorder)......I have been getting results from various recent tests and finding more and more of my hormones are extremely low and I can absolutely tell - the tests are just confirming what I was already quite sure of
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It never fails, we start to feel a little better and we try to do too much and bang. I've had to spend the day not moving much. Tons of pain, fatigue and even weak voice. But I should be better if I sleep.

I'm finding that the flexeril really helps with the muscle pain and with sleep, but I don't know how long my doctor will let me stay on it.

It's amazing how many things we need to treat just to feel alittle better. Thyroid, hormones, vitamin deficiencies, stomach problems, the list just goes on and on.

I'm going to really fight this year to get alittle health back. As much as I can. But what I'm seeing is, it's the same pattern of good and bad days. But I think I can get it to where I have a few more good days if I'm careful.