Feeling better since I quit my job,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christinawensell, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. Christinawensell

    Christinawensell New Member

    It has been a long time since I last came here for any advice or to talk. I finally got internet in my home and I thought I would revisit all of you and give you an update and get updates from all of you.

    I did finally quit my job of 7 years and believe me it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. It actually was also the best thing I have ever done too. I think the job was just slowly killing me with stress. It was putting my fibro into overdrive.

    I went to work for a temp agency and worked that for about 6 months. I had my ups and downs with that too. I wrecked my car and that was stress. Then I went from job to job and no one was hiring me on. I finally just got hired last month at a slaughter house. I do the accounts payable. I never thought I would enjoy working at a slaughter house, actually I never imaged me working at one.

    My two beautiful daughters shown in my profile are graduating this May. It is scary and also very exciting. They will be going to college next year.

    Ok that is part of my update. How has your life been since I have been gone???

  2. SweetT

    SweetT New Member

    I think I became a member after you took your hiatus. However, I'd love to hear more about your story. We are around the same age, both have teen daughters (though mine are younger) and I have a stresful desk job that I've been on for 7 years.

    How did you manage to make it financially after you quit? Hubby who could support the whole family on just his income? Unemployment? Short-term disability that turned into long term? Cashing in retirement accounts while working temp job? Starting your own side business?

    You can read my profile for any questions that you may have.

    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  3. Engel

    Engel New Member

    Hi Christina ... sorry to hear you had to quit. I am at that point too. I am going to go the SSDI route since I am 53 and a real mess. Filing for bancruptcy even. I just can't do it anymore. I really tried. I just have to move on and pray a lot. Good luck to you.
  4. Didoe

    Didoe New Member

    You're a brave woman and with 2 young women to support and mother...I'm working full time and hanging by a thread with FM, 54 yrs and have some decisions to make.
    Its the old habit of looking for a safety net before jumping out into the wilderness...being healthy, younger makes going into the unknown exciting, now its terrifying and exhausting.

    Best of luck in every way.
  5. cherylsue

    cherylsue Member

    My medical leave of absence was extended for another 3 months, and I have mixed feelings. On one hand I haven't reached any type of consistency or stabilization with my CFS. Easter was a good day, but today was a big fatigue day. I never know from day to day how affected I will be.

    However, I miss my work and career. I haven't worked since June 2006. It's been a real bummer.

  6. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    I saw a great childrens movie last night and the moral of the story was "keep moving forward and let go of the past". The movie was "Meet the Robinsons" - very cute, and also such good advice.

    If I could have let go of the past years ago, I probably would not be sick today.

    I wish you the best, happy to see you back here.

  7. annaleeb

    annaleeb New Member

    I bet its so much better getting rid of some stress from a job, its hard enough dealing with this DD as it is, I am new here but still would like to say welcome back! :D
  8. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

    It's so nice to see a post from you. I remember how difficult it was for you and I'm glad you feel that quitting was a helpful thing. That kind of stress generally just makes us worse.
    Your daughters are lovely; thanks for putting up the picture. I hope the graduation is a happy time.
    I continue to try new treatments and have had some improvement. I have been sidelined a bit by a cold and then a stomach 'bug' of some sort. The good news is that it is years since this has happened and my immune system may be starting to work a bit more 'normally'!
    All the best and I hope you can check in again and let us know how you are.

  9. Christinawensell

    Christinawensell New Member

    SweetT, Pianowoman, and all you sweet people who replied,

    SweetT: I finally had to just say enough was enough. I was about on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

    My mother has the cronic form of GBS. She was in the hospital for over a year about 7 years ago. She now has a nurse that comes in and does IV treatments everyother day to try to rebuild her system. (anyways the whole reason I am talking about my mom) Her nurse saw me on several differnet occasions while I was there and told my mom that I seemed very depressed and she was very concerned about me.

    I would cry about everything. I always was on the verge of tears. It seemed as if life was just passing me by, and I did not seem to care. My children never saw me happy at all.

    I should let you know as a teenager I was molested by my father, and I had some serious problems that I never had confronted. I was just slowly going down hill. The nursse suggested that I see my doctor about the depression. I did not want to admit though that I was actually depressed. Eventually I had to though. It was not only killing me but also killing my family.

    I finally went to the doctor and he put me onto prozac. I think that is one thing that really has changed my life. I started to see my life and what I was doing to my family and myself. I then started seeing a theripast for the abuse, and realized that my work was walking all over me. I was training people and they were just coming into the business and I had been there for 7 years, and they were making more. It really tore me up. I felt victimized all over again.

    I went into my supervisors office and of course I cried and cried, but told her that I felt it best if I leave. It was very hard. I cried and cried my last day.

    My husband works and that helped, but I also just kept on going from job to job. From week to week it was different. The pay was better than I was getting after 7 years so that was good. The only draw back was that I did not have any insurance. I actually still do not have any. I have to wait a probationary time. Funny thing is that I am not sick as much. Yes I am in pain everyday and it hurts to walk, but I relax when I get home. My family (daughters) really help.

    I used to be calling in sick about 1-2 times a week. That was killing our finances. I can actually say that now for once in my life we are almost caught up on all our payments. We are finally not one or two months behind on everything.

    I gave up my car (2004) and bought one free and clear, boy I can't tell you how much stress that relieved. I did not think that I would like a older car, but I love my Saturn. We bought it for only 1300.00 it is a 1994 (cherry red), and in mint condition. Our neighbor sold it to us.

    I guess I am getting really winded. I am just excited. Because I can actually tell you I am feeling good,rather than what I used to have to talk about.

    I still have a awful mother in law, but that will be another story. I will post about that later.

    Write back


[ advertisement ]