Feeling Better with Effexor XR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jegleston, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jegleston

jegleston New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with Fibro in May 2004, but I suffered with it for many years without knowing what it was. Doctors offered no help until after my diagnosis.

I have been taking Effexor XR (37.5 - 112.5 mg built up gradually) for about four months and I am now feeling better and doing more. It took three months before I noticed any real improvement and I was ready to write it off as another failure, but my Dr. talked me into continuing it. He was right. It takes a while to start working.

I now have slightly less intense constant pain, but many other symptoms are much better:

Much fewer and milder muscle spasms and cramps
    Fewer muscle twitches
    No occular migrane headaches
    I am no longer running into doorways or dropping things as before.

Overall, I see a much needed improvement in the quality my daily life. It has not helped my fatigue, however.

Just wanted to share my good experience with you.

JW
  2. great to hear your feeling better, sometimes we hit it just right with the right med.
  3. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

My Dr. kept trying to get my dosage up to 300mg or something like that. I didn't feel well on the higher dose. 225mg. seems to be the best dose, and I've been on it for a couple of years now. However, I no longer get it covered by insurance since I went on Medicare because of SS disability. My Dr. lowered my dose to 150mg. for cost purposes and I'm trying to tell if I feel worse. I kind of think I am feeling worse, but it costs so darn much each month for me to stay on the higher dose. Right now, I'm still paying over $100.00 for a 30 day supply. I'll stick with it for now, though, because I've tried so many others that just didn't help me. I'm glad that you have found something that works well for you too.
  4. achy

achy New Member

I was not prescribed this until I got to my 5th doc. Many docs Rx it right from the start, don't know why no one did for me....

Anyway, Effexor and Elavil I will not be without. Less spasm, twitching, and migranes for me too.

Luckily I have BC/BS and get 3 months for only $50!!
    Thank you Lord!

Glad it helps....
    achy
  5. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I've been on it for about 2 months now. The only change I have noticed is my OCD is a little better. Just a little, but any improvement is better than none when you have it as bad as I do.
    I started out on 37.5 and went up to 150mg. I was falling asleep every time I sat down! I'm now down to 75mg and staying awake most of the day.
    cindy