Feeling Better!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

My doctor tripled my Amitriptyline a couple of weeks ago, and I have been feeling great since then. I was taking 10 mg and now I am taking 30 mg. I still have symptoms but not near as bad. I feel like I am operating at 75% to 95%. Truthfully, I would prefer not to take an antidepressant, but the alternative is worse. I also take ZMA and Melatonin. However, I am convinced that my FM is somehow caused by work. I don’t know if it is an inability to deal with work (stress) or some kind of environmental contaminate. I believe more in my stress/work theory. I feel so much better at home, especially on the weekends. However, when Sunday a night rolls around and all through the week, I sleep poorly. I really like my job a lot though, kind of strange!

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

My doctor tripled my Amitriptyline a couple of weeks ago, and I have been feeling great since then. I was taking 10 mg and now I am taking 30 mg. I still have symptoms but not near as bad. I feel like I am operating at 75% to 95%. Truthfully, I would prefer not to take an antidepressant, but the alternative is worse. I also take ZMA and Melatonin. However, I am convinced that my FM is somehow caused by work. I don’t know if it is an inability to deal with work (stress) or some kind of environmental contaminate. I believe more in my stress/work theory. I feel so much better at home, especially on the weekends. However, when Sunday a night rolls around and all through the week, I sleep poorly. I really like my job a lot though, kind of strange!

Kurt
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Kurt--So Glad you are feeling better! I was just dx'd with FMS & CFS....(finally thank gawd!) Anyway, my new doc...put me on Amitriptyline, too! What a difference it has made! I had tried flexeril at bedtime....(before my dx, and on my own, as physicians were giving me the "shes a nutcase" diagnosis, lol). The Amitryptiline has made all the difference in the world! As you said...would prefer not to have to take meds...but gosh durn, Kurt, at this point I think I would eat a dead rat, if there was the promise of feeling better! As to your stress theory--I think you are right on, there! I think we have to adapt new attitudes and responses to those things which stress us.
    Especially if you have a type A personality like I do. I am learning to shrug my shoulders (very gently, lol), smile, and walk away from stressful influences. I used to be the kind of person that thought only I was capable of fixing every ill situation, competently. I now have discovered, by neccessity, that others will and can step up to the plate.
    Hope your good days continue!
    Karen
  4. sean

sean New Member

This is interesting, because this drug is an anti- depressant, that is useful in improving sleep, which seems to be a problem with fibromyagia, but what many people may not realise is that this drug is also used for helping with muscle twitches/spasm, which is also a problem sometimes encountered with fibromyalgia. It would be interesting to find out how many people with FM, get some relief by taking this drug.
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I used to take Amitriptyline for many years and it did work great for me..Somewhere along the line I was switched to Desyrel, which also works great for me..My question, out of concern for you is : Does your Dr. know that you are taking the Melatonin along with the amitriptyline..I am far from an expert, but sometimes these natural things do not work well with prescription meds..Granted you say you are feeling better now, but just make sure you are not doing your body any harm..Just so you dr. knows you are taking the both..I don't mean any harm, just concern for a fellow FMS patient..Take Care.....Best Wishes........Donna
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I used to take Amitriptyline for many years and it did work great for me..Somewhere along the line I was switched to Desyrel, which also works great for me..My question, out of concern for you is : Does your Dr. know that you are taking the Melatonin along with the amitriptyline..I am far from an expert, but sometimes these natural things do not work well with prescription meds..Granted you say you are feeling better now, but just make sure you are not doing your body any harm..Just so you dr. knows you are taking the both..I don't mean any harm, just concern for a fellow FMS patient..Take Care.....Best Wishes........Donna
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

sorry about the triple posts..don't know what happened..i only hit it once.....computer must be getting goofy, just like me.......lol..........Donna
  9. selma

selma New Member

Happy soo Happy It's working for you.

I took it then had to increase it. But, I had heart palpitations from it and of course stopped.
    If you like what you do, keep on keeping on and good luck.

Love, Selma
  10. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I spoke with two doctors and two pharmacists regarding that issue. One pharmacist was concerned that taking melatonin may cause my doctor to increase the amitriptyline because it might change my blood chemistry. Other than that, the doctors seemed a little skeptical about the melatonin. They said that a major study was planned to examine the effects of it. However, the study was discontinued because of methodology concerns. There are different ways it can be made and there are different doses. Supposedly, the doctors became overwhelmed with the number of variables they faced.

Kurt
  11. tired42long

tired42long New Member

It's always so cool to see someone is feeling better---for WHATEVER reason. It seems like we all have different triggers and different things seem to help some that would not necessarily help others. I am glad you found something to help YOU!
    About work...it sounds funny that you say you really like your job...sounds like stress may NOT be the culprit. I have been reading a lot of books about environmental illness. There have been several accounts that sound JUST like you. Several men who go really sick at work and much better when they get home. Some things they talk about are not things you might think about...like chemicals in simple WHITE paper, copy machines, outgassing of chemicals in the walls, carpets, new lighting changes, etc. It is really disheartening to hear of so many people who really and truly think they are going crazy and no one can find out why. It is amazing the amount of chemicals and additives we are around. And just because you may not have been affected before, does not mean your body could not have been overloaded and finally have reached your breaking point. i was amazed at what set people off----even new allergies to soaps, perfumes and colognes, the chemicals in dry cleaning and even purchase of new clothing. In every work environment you are around a whole new surrounding for 8-10 hours AND all the different people you are around that may affect you....by scents,smoking "debris" on them, etc. It sounds so ridiculous, but it is very hard not to beleive when you can actually feel the changes take over. I was never affected or allergic to ANYTHING. Now, get very ill around cig. smoke, perfumes, paints and varnishes, polishes and acetone, "busy" electrical zones such as huge stores or businesses with florescent lighting, some foods and additives, Nutrasweet, caffeine, alcohol, and even seasonal pollens in the spring ----I want to dig out my eyes!!! Something has to be doing this. I hope you find out your work triggers. It sounds like if you can, you might even make it back to 100%. Cheers to you!