Feeling blue -- niece caught smoking!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by greenmom500, Apr 21, 2009.

1. greenmom500

greenmom500 New Member

I am feeling blue today. My niece just got caught smoking (16). She's a good. . .great kid (straight A student, respectful to parents, good with her little siblings). If she can do it. . .How do I prevent / protect my children from smoking? In my search for answers, I visited the site "realparentsrealanswers.com." There's some good advice there -- it's worth a look. What's the bottom line though? I guess we all have to be vigilant in this.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Hopefully you are talking cigarettes. I think the bottom line is that parents have to talk to our kids about this at a much younger age. I think we have to discourage cigarettes from the time kids are little as stinky and yucky.

The kids that have parents that smoke will already have a strike against them. But the kids that don't have smoking parents are going to be faced with peer pressure potentially at some point because some of their group may start to smoke. Have you seen the 10 year olds and 12 year olds smoking (thinking it makes them look cool and probably stealing them from their parents). So that's why I say start early because peer pressure will start earlier.

Right now I think a good opportunity to talk is how the Hollywood star Christina Applegate (I'll never forget her from TV's "Married with Children") got really pounded recently because she was just over breast cancer and photographed smoking a cigarette. Was she going to trade breast cancer for potential lung cancer?? How long will it take for her body to completely recover from cancer and knowing she has years to go to be in full remission from her cancer, why tempt her body with cigarettes and the potential for another form of cancer?

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Many of my friends smoked from a very young age. One BIG factor is weight. For girls especially. They believe smoking will keep / make them slim. Being slim is EXTREMELY important in the world of teenaged girls.
    (Every girl I knew who had an eating disorder smoked.)

Telling them they will die from it, never caused any of my friends to stop or even cut back.
    In their way of thinking, long-term consequences are things old people have to worry about.

Teenagers (most of them) live as if they're invincible, indestructable, & immortal.

Showing them pix of ugly, brown/yellow stained teeth will actually have more of an effect than dire warnings of death later in life - especially when you stress that it's a short-term effect.

Hope this helps.