Feeling defeated lately by this illness! no support from doc help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Oct 19, 2005.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

Ugh! 2 weeks ago I had to go to the ER for these stupid headaches and was treated like a junkie. Then went to see my pain doc and he said if I call him he will give me stronger pain meds to get me through the tougher pain (than my normal pain meds can handle).

Well my headache is still here (2 wks later). I've gone through 4 refills of my Zomig (migraine meds, 6 per refill) and my FM is just flared to all hell. I can't miss work anymore. I drag myself out of bed every morning to sit on my 3 heating pads, one on my head, one on my back and one on my legs for at least an hour. That means getting up at 4:00am so I can still get to work on time.

Yesterday I finally broke down and called my Pain doc only to leave a message w/the nurse. No phone call back. So I called again this morning and left another message. Irritated is putting it lightly. I told them in the message that my doc and I have an agreement re: my pain and the med increase if my pain increases. This is to avoid me taking my regular meds to soon. That has been my only recourse in the past, to double up to get through my day. I can't call in sick everyday or I'd be fired. He understands this and that's why we have the agreement. he is trying to work w/me and I'm trying to work w/him. He also realizes his staff sucks and that they have an internal problem.

This morning was the worst. I was just in tears. To the point of wishing death. I hate that because as a christian I know this is a sin. One should never wish death but the pain gets so bad. I could hardly move. The shower hurt when the water h it my legs. I couldn't shave. Thank god I didnt' have my son. He's with his daddy.

I don't know what to do. This is a new doc, my other doc doesn't take my new insurance and in Reno where I live pain docs are few and far between so my choices are so very limited. If I don't get a call back today my oly other recourse is to go to the office and throw a fit.

Advice anyone?

Sorry for complaining.
    Shawn
  2. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I wish I had some advice, but I don't. I know how you feel, though. I have been on those ER visits trying to convince the docs that you aren't just "drug-seeking" - you really are suffering "the migraine from hell." I have dealt - and still am dealing - with an insurance company that thinks 6 doses of Zomig is sufficient for an entire month. I have had days in which anything - ANYTHING - touching my body hurt. And sometimes doctors seemed like the untouchable, unreachable Holy Grail.

Shawn, I wish I knew what to say to help. All I can say is that I understand where you are, and I'm so sorry that you're in such a bad place. :-(

I am a Christian too. I will pray for you, that God will comfort you and grant you relief from your pain. He loves you - please remember that. He is with you always.

I hope the doc calls you back soon! Please keep us posted.
    God bless -

Karen
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish I could help but I don't go to a pain doctor and my pain levels are not nearly as bad as yours.

Bumping for others to read ... Good luck, .. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Elsa
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Shawn
    I'm so sorry that you are having such pain and such frustration with getting help. Don't apologize for complaining; this is where you can talk about any problems you have.

This is difficult,no question. You are really feeling boxed in. You feel like you can't miss work and a break is probably exactly what you need. You aren't getting relief from your meds and you don't feel like you have much support.

You really need someone to help you take a step back and reassess everything. Are there other triggers for your headaches? Is there anyone who can help you out at home for a while? Perhaps a pain therapist would be of some help.

You have said that you find comfort in your faith. I know that there have been many prayers for you from this board and from elsehwere. The answers will come, just hang on.

Please take care and let us know how you are.

Kathy.
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

Listen honey, you are Noah about the flood! Nearly everyone on the board has been treated shabbily by the ER.
    Do you take an antiinflammatory? That should be a backup med for you. It really helps my body pain and headache pain also. Maybe Zomig has run its course with you. Try something else, Relpax or Maxalt.
    DO NOT GET UP AT 4:00, you need your sleep. Try a warm bath instead. Use epsom salts and peroxide in the bath water, it will help your achy body. Stay in touch and let us know everyday how you are doing. Keep calling that doctor!
  6. twood

twood New Member

HI, im Teri, i used to live in incline village. Where I'm reading this all kinda started in the eighties when i lived there. Have u heard the Drs. there in incline that specalize in Fm. I think its Dr. Cheney, I might be mistaken, ill look it up tomorrow. He is the Dr. that has done all the studies and is suppose to be wonderful. Im wishing I had gone in the beginning to him after ive added up everything i've spent elsewhere. I'll write you back with the name if u want. Good luck\\ Teri