Feeling like I am blacking out for a few seconds..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, May 30, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have weird spells where I feel for a few seconds I am blacking out..I was sitting down and all of a sudden its almost like the start of a vertigo attack or like I am passing out..

It only last a few seconds..This is happening more often..At first I thought it might be anxiety even though I wasn't feeling anxious, or allergies but had no other symptoms..I just close my eyes until it wears off then I am ok except tired..

Any clues , is this part of cfs? Its a little scary thank goodness this seems to happen when I am sitting down..It does concern me about driving..

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

I've had similar episodes like you described. Don't know what they are, but I do get them once in awhile. I know I don't have vertigo or allergies or sinus infections or anything else like that. I do have FMS, CFS and OA. With all the weird symptoms that go along with fibro I wouldn't be surprised that it was some odd little symptom. But if you do feel it when driving, please just pull over! Fortunately, I haven't had one in the car, and hopefully won't! Haven't told the Dr about these, because I keep forgetting about them since they are few and far between.

Scarlett
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

seizure like activity . Sometimes I feel like I also " blank out too " . It is frustrating and scary .

However , the thought of taking seizure meds is depressing too.
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I experienced that unfortunately while I was driving and I managed to pull over into a parking lot, and let the spell go through and then I drove back home and called in sick from work. It is very scary thing to go through.

I have noticed since I have been taking Neurotin I have not having those episodes...I know that it is a part of CFS and FM.

Gosh our bodies are just soooo out of whack and everything is going at the same time, or not going for that matter.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have had the Blacking Out problem from the beginning. I have attributed it to two possibilities so far:

1. Orthostatic hypotension (or any kind of hypotension)

2. Hypoglycemia

I am on Nuerontin but still have problems with the blacking out.

When it happens to me I go dark and everything goes numb. My lips and tongue tingle and sometimes I can't even hear for a second.

Sofi
  6. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

It happens at the oddest times too. I can be sitting down or standing up. Its extremely freaky. I hate it. It usually throws me into a panic. I read somewhere that we are "near syncope" and it means we nearly pass out sometimes. Gran we are so alike with the panic problem too. I really think that the panic is worse than the pain!
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank each of you so much for your support and input..Yes,afterwards I do have anxiety from worry over what has happened..It is a scary feeling..

Of course with my anxiety I think its my heart or a brain tumor..This happened yesterday afternoon and I didn't sleep very much last night from body aches and aslo the allery symptoms are appearing, ringing in ears are worse stuffy nose and just a general feeling of not feeling well..I have probably over done and heading for another crash..I had my 3 days up and about now its days in bed..

So many years and this DD still is a miserable mistery to me..

Thanks again and God Bless,
    greatgran

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply, no I do not have low blood pressure.. my b/p is usually 117/68 and sometimes higher..

When I go to the doc my B/P is ususally high.. I tell them its white coat syndrome but they are always wanting to give me B/P meds...

It sure is a weird feeling and the not knowing what it is concerns me..

God BLess,
    greatgran
  9. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I had these before I got full blown seizures.

You may be having mini-seizures. I would talk to your doctor and let him/her know that is going on.
    They may refer you to a neurologist and some testing such as eeg.
    Best of luck to You

Michelle
  10. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I've had this when I've felt lathargic. It only happens when I'm bent down and get up.
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

This could be several different things .You need to let your doctor know this is happening to you .I have this at different times but I have seizures. After a few seconds I will have an overwhelming need to go to sleep.
    I also can have these feelings of blacking out ,if I have not eaten.I also use to have them when I had my periods .It could also be a sugar problem if you are diabetic.
    Now I can get them right before I get a headache or a migraine.Also a bright sun in my eyes causes this.
    So you see lots of things can cause these and you really need to talk to your doctor.
    I hope you feel better and let us know what you find out.
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

(the doctor said it was my medicines)I am not allowed ti drive now.Linda
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks all for your input on my "spells"..

Carebelle, I have mentioned this to The doc but she didn't seemed concerned since all my test were ok...She said it could be fatigue, or anxiety...Thats as far as I got..I was suppose to have an MRI but couldn't go thru with it and had a CT Scan which was ok..

If they continue and are more frequent I will have to have the MRI..It does seem to happen when I am tried, stressed or have over done..Also I have had this since the begining of my CFS so there probably is a connection there..I think I am trying to reassure myself its nothing when I know it could be cause for alarm...

Such a mystery illness that never seems to end..

God BLess,
    greatgran