Feeling lonely and blue

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by lonelymama, Dec 31, 2008.

1. lonelymama

lonelymama New Member

I am new to this group. I've been trying to cope with depression on my own for the past 8 or so years. I have 3 beautiful daughters who live pretty far away from me.(not by choice) They live with their father in South Carolina. I live in Illinois with my father. My mother is deceased.
    I also suffer from schizoaffective symptoms. My mood fluctuates and I have sleep disturbances. Sometimes, I hear voices. I take alot of psychotrophic medication.
    My children are not old enough to understand why I am not able to care for them. They are 15, 13, and 10. Someday, I will be able to tell them about my illnesses.
    Right now, I would give anything to be able to see them. I miss them so much. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to make the trip to SC right now. Hopefully, that will change. I must believe.
  2. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Happy New Year!! this board is pretty supportive. There's a depression board too, you may find more support there too! I'm glad you're taking your medication. I take antidepressants for that and it helps my fibromyalgia pain. Sometimes when we feel better we stop but we need to continue them.

I'm sorry that you don't have the funds to visit your girls. I'm sure they miss you too. Can you call them on a certain night of the week and make it your special call? or maybe talk on a tape and send to them? We did that years ago when we were stationed in Germany. Maybe you can email on a regular basis and send pictures online. Just trying to think of things to make it easier for you to be in contact with them!

I'll pray that something comes through for you to make it easier to see them. We all have issues we're dealing with and I hope things get easier for you too!! Take care!!
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

It's the start of a New Year and I believe that with that New Year comes a chance for a fresh start for all of us.

I'm so sorry you are missing your children. If there are any rules that have been set forth about your children, like not calling them, just be extra careful that you don't break those rules. If you are not allowed to call the children, can you send them some cards? If so, then do so and kids like receiving cards.

Also, see if there are some local support groups for your ailment that might be meeting and you can call the local Mental Health Society and get that information. The local support groups are great ways to meet people who understand and meet new friends.

Best wishes for the New Year and many hugs.
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Hi LonelyMama,

You are doing well to take your medications. This is a lonely time of the year when you are away from those you love most, and it’s not unusual to have depression over things over which you feel you have no control. Sometimes that makes it harder to take medication.

I went through a similar problem years back and I actually felt guilt because I couldn’t be with my children ... Guilt is horrible.

From experience I can tell you when your children are older, you will be able to discuss these types of problems (from the past). However, it would help to have a counselor for you to speak with now who could help you work through issues other than the illness you have. For instance, guilt, if not worked with, eats away at a person, worsens illnesses, and inhibits any type emotional healing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please know you have support here.

Hugs, Jeannette

5. Prill

Prill New Member

I think first of all it is so amazing at how articulate you are and how able you are to "see" your situation.
    I suffer with depression, and I was also the caregiver for a government funded home to care for those with a diagnosis such as your so they could live out of the hospital, and not need to live with family. It is a fantastic program and often what we find is that since the family doesn't have the same burden we would have once seen before. The only problem is it is a Canadian based program.
    The other awesome thing about the program was that the government paid for those clients to see their family even if far away because those relationships are so imperative to each client.
    Perhaps there is a program but it is not known, sometimes goverments establish these programs and don't advertise.
    I bet your children will love you because you are lovely.
    You already understand more than some would be in your position
    Good for you.