Feeling out of touch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have heard for brain fog before and I think that is what is going on with me right now. I feel disconnected, things look fuzzy and I am light headed. Is this what brain fog feels like?
  2. loto

loto Member

for me that's what it feels like also. I have FM, and some days the brain fog is really bad for me.
    For instance one day last week I was so foggy at work all day, I didn't trust myself to do too many important things here, so I kind of "faked" working all day! I don't want my supervisor to know I get like that sometimes, so I just fake what I'm working on, and don't submit anything into the computer software.
    And, when I got home, I fixed supper for my family, which is a big thing in itself--I usually don't have enough energy to do that. Anyway, I made spaghetti, and when we all started eating it, my husband asked why it was so salty! I managed to think back on how I prepared it, and realized I put salt on the beef while cooking it, put salt on the noodles when they were done, and then put extra salt in the sauce! Oh my gosh, we all ate it, but were soooooo thirsty for the rest of the nite! Now that I look back on it I can laugh, but it's really awful that I did that. Ugh, I think the Fibro Fog is the 2nd worst thing in my case. Pain, of course being the worst, well, and the fatigue.
    I hope your fog doesn't last long. Mine comes and goes, for some reason, and I just have to adjust my activities for when it is really bad.

best wishes,
  3. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Feeling out of touch is a good description. Brain fog for me is more like the feeling I get when I try to think, and just can't seem to; like the answer is out there somewhere but shrouded in very thick fog, and I just can find it. Like my thinking is in slow motion while everything going on around me is in fast-forward.

I can't think straight, I can't calculate simple problems, forget about figuring things out in my head. Schedules, time lines, etc. have to be done on paper in order for me to understand them.

I think one thing, but something totally different comes out of my mouth. I feel like I just can't shake it off.

My memory or lack thereof contributes to the feeling of brain fog. Like today, driving home, I was supposed to go to the pharmacy. I totally forgot, and if it weren't for my friend riding with me, I would have forgotten totally.

I have gotten into my car, intending to head to a certain place, start driving, and then not be able to remember where I was going. Or even more scary, I sometimes am in a place that should be familiar to me, but I can't remember how to get where I'm going, or how to get home, or even recognize where I am.

Some days are better than others; when I'm in a "crash/flare", it's the worst, but usually it gets some better as I climb out of the crash.

Everyone is different, though; I bet if many of us put our descriptions side-by-side, we'd see that there are many different descriptions and experiences!

God bless, Sheila!
  4. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I have brain fog that comes and goes, but I am nowhere near as sharp as I was before FM - and I'm only 42.

I used to be able to read Stephen King books - the very long ones - now I cant, I cant follow it. Same with complicated movies.

Its sad really.
  5. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Yup....sounds like what I go through too. I'm a hospice nurse and before I went on disability in December, I was afraid that I would make a mistake in recommending a certain med, or that I would miss an important symptom that a patient was experiencing. It was really scary and made me feel stupid.

I have trouble word finding sometimes. My husband swears that he has told me something, but I have no recollection of it (but you know how men can be sometimes!!). Sometimes, when having a conversation with someone, I just lose all interest in it and my mind starts to wander.

Shari mentioned that she's on 42. I'm only 55 and I've been experiencing the brain for for 3-4 years. I was really scared before I realized what was happening. I thought I had early onset dementia. It IS a scary thing for any one of us, no matter what the age.

Take comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone. If you start to post something here and go off on a completely different tangent......we'll all understand!! :)
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, that's brain fog! Feeling spaced out, fuzzy headed, mentally unclear, etc.

I checked the internet on what any articles had to say, and this is something that I found:

You may have brain fog if you are experiencing any of these symptoms:

* Loss of mental acuity

* Forgetfulness – decreased short-term memory

* A feeling of spaciness and inability to think clearly

* A feeling that you’re in a fog or a dark cloud is over your head

* Decreased attention span

* Mild depression and/or anxiety

* Lack of spatial awareness

* Difficulty concentrating or a lack of focus